General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What made you get in maxima's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 PM

What made you get in maxima's?

i guess its my turn for one of these status's...

I first owned a GL ford taurus which i hated but wanted a car moreso, my friend (24kondaway) at the time owned a mirage and swear by racing, i knew nothing about cars, i mean like not even what an intake was... i remember him talking about headers for the mirage and how he would kick everybody's ****, anyways long story short he sold the mirage for a maxima and messed around with my slow **** taurus everytime we left school, i was pissed, i told him you ish aint that fast i bet ill get a maxima and whoop your maxima's ****, which i did and history was made from then.....
Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM

My aunt actually had a black 3rd gen SE, and I loved it, I almost got it too lol. So it was that, and the fact that I LOVE the way 4th gens look. Now I have a black 4th gen SE, and my aunt who moved from her 89 Max to a Jeep Liberty said she is going to buy another Max and get rid of the Liberty lol. She had WELL over 200k miles on her Max, and the engine was still fine, but the tranny went out, she put another one in, and when the 2nd one went out, she just bought the Jeep.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Goin after Mustangs, in comfort.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM

I just got a random car which I thought I was going to leave stock and have it be a beater like a Civic but then I fell in love with the car and started fixing things and modifying stuff and it kept going to this day.

But pretty much I just get random cars, before my Maxima I had a Volvo, and before that a Chevy truck.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Got Retrofit?

My father had one for most of my childhood, I bought my first Max ('03) then got my first '96 fo' free. I fell in love.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Im in the same boat as leo koneval..i was actually at the auto auction looking for a jetta or eclipse..pitty pitty me.....and a black car...*to be my maxima* came rollin through....looked pretty nice...didnt know what it was...and my dad said.."you want that"..even tho i was paying for it lol...and while looking at it thinking.."hmm..5 speed, leather, stereo, sunroof, all black....nice..." why not dad let see what it goes for....ended up getting it for 1850.00....97 max se loaded 194000 miles....1 previous owner...just expected it to be my dd...but soon found out that it was acually a pretty peppy engine...and fell in love....started moding piece by piece...and eventually found the org now im here. and dont plan on getting rid of my car anytime soon. just put a new drivers door on today
Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 PM

well years ago when i was stupid (or more stupid than now ) i was looking for a first car, almost bought a CRX with IIRC a blown engine. this was when i thought all tuners were Acuras and Hondas, again i was young

then, i was looking at a old Accord, but then my Uncles friend/coworker had a 3rd gen for sale. there were like 10 people ready to buy it, but since the guy knew my Uncle he gave me dibs and i bought it

then, still young i was going to sell my 3rd gen and buy a 80's Porsche thank god i never. keeping this thing til i die
Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Goin after Mustangs, in comfort.
tisk squared....i saw that video on youtube....

ironically OP, i actually started out with a mirage too....talk about slowwww! But my first max was a hand me down, i didnt know anything about cars either. Then i found this site, and bought a 5 speed. here i am.

Last edited by MaximaSpd85; 09-12-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM

Honestly it was just a hand me down from my mom and I never thought there was this big of a community for maximas and how good they can look if done up well.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 PM

One of my friends and I were at a party (if you can call it that at 15..LOL) one night, and she got sick.

Her dad came to pick her up, and when he pulled up he had a silver 5.5. Something about the car said, "Please buy me."

Anyway, when I turned 16 and went car shopping, my dad had me try out almost every GM he could think of. I (stupidly) wanted an Eclipse. Finally, I dragged him to a Mitsubishi lot, but they didn't have any Eclipses in my price range. And they just so happened to have an '02 that had just come in from the auction in the back lot that hadn't even been prepped yet.

Scooped it up, and still have it today, three years later. I've also had a few cars in between, thinking I would wanna keep those and sell the Max. But I keep coming back to it.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM

had a '94 taurus with the 3.8, torquey but slow as hell. my friend got in a minor wreck with her '95 Maxima (not her fault and the Maxima was actually her parents', lol). her mom wanted to sell it to me for a price i couldn't refuse, .

i liked the car but wasn't really THAT in to it. i was looking ways to up the power via turbo/super charging and found Hal (yes, THE Hal) and he said to check out the .ORG. so here i am, still with my Max which i don't ever plan on letting go.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 PM

I got my max after going through about 7 cars everything from a 91 5spd prelude to a BMW just looking for a peppy reliable car. my step dad is a nissan master tech and brought home a CG2 96 SE and i drove it for a day and loved it but the car was sold already before i could make it there...one morning i was flipping through the paper and found a 95 GLE for $3,000 with one owner and 80k miles...i jumped on it and have had it for 3 years now
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM

I didn't know a thing about cars, though I knew I wanted something that got good gas mileage and had a manual transmission for less than $4k. My dad and I were looking at a handful of cars for sale on a street corner and we saw a 5mt maxima there for $4200. We met up with the seller a couple days later and bought it for $3900. I drove it for a year stock thinking all mustangs were faster Then I found the .org and here I am now.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Well, there were several factors that made me want a Maxima for the longest.

1. Me being the type of person I am, I usually keep up to date with cars as in, what engines they have, what type of power, what features ect ect and since 8th grade (1999-2000) I could appreciate the amenities and power offered by the Maxima no matter the year.

2. Nissan's strong marketing strategies. Literally, I have ALL Maxima commercials in my ****in ipod which is always connected to my AVIC. Some people drive around watching rap videos in their car, I ride around watching Maximas [commercials] being chased by death, pigeons, making dust clouds while drifting sideways, chasing airplanes, chasing the sun being chased by a crazy dude wanted to feel up the max... anyway you name it I have it!

3. After being cut off at every red light in my
1988 Accord LXi
1989 Accord LX
1990 Lumina APV
I decided it was time and I had a few bucks, I got a 93 GXE although I originally wanted a 97-99SE, the 3rd gen really grew on me and I prefer the way it drives over the 4th gen but I like the 4th gens power more Love em both. I love Maximas so much that my friends all have em now, even my cousin got one! lol
Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 AM

I bought a 240SX Coupe 5MT brand new in 1992. It was my first Nissan, and I loved it every minute of ownership over the next 7 years. When it was time to move on, I picked up a brand new 1999 Maxima SE 5MT. 3 1/2 years later, I traded in on a brand new 2003 Maxima SE 6MT, which I've been driving ever since.

That appreciation for Nissan continues today... so much so that my next car will likely be an Infiniti.

I ♥ NISSAN
Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My buddy baught a 98 I30. We took it on a road trip up to VT.
I though it was a super smooth car with plenty of power, although it was a little sloppy on the handling side. About a month later I was the proud owner of my 99 SE-L.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
tisk squared....i saw that video on youtube....
wat
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Blown

I worked at a rental car place in 1999. Of all of the cars there, the 4th gen maxima would burn the biggest tire So I bought my first fourth gen in 2002.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 AM

well...alot of factors played into mine...one was my brother owned a 4th gen max...so after finding out what maximas were about, mainly the aspect of how sexy they could look...i wanted one. BUT i had acquired a 95 Integra GSR...did my little thing to it, until some mexicans came and stole it from me one night (almost 3 years later and never recovered). so after getting married two weeks after that i started searching for a 4th gen 5 speed...i found one, but it was from up north and had alot of rust under the body, so i quickly dismissed it...summer was approaching quickly and the vehicle i had, didnt have a/c...so mainly concerned about having a/c for the at-the-time-wife i found the maxima i have today. autotrader had it listed as an automatic, at that point i was willing to bite the bullet and get an auto and just call it a day..but when the salesman told me it was 5 speed...it was pretty much sold, i took it by my mechanic, he gave it his seal of approval and got it the next day...and here i am..for now
Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

my sister's friend had the 91, blew the transmission to shreds. my dad figured it would be an easy fix (new clutch and "new" trans), and bought it. it's been in the family for about 7 years, now, being transferred from one to another. I have had it the longest, and plan on running it to death, and rebuilding it again.
I won't say I have a "love affair" with my maxima, compared to others here. It isn't a car I want to (or have real plans to) get rid of, but I don't foresee me having it in 10 years.

it's a good car that isn't a Honda, so that makes me content.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Well my brother had a gold on beige auto, I loved it. It was pretty quick for 10+ years old.
Ended up buying an 87 supra first, needless to say that bish blew up. Went looking after that and my mom was like, how bout we stop here (nissan dealer). I was reluctant at first, but during the test drive I was like "do want". So bought the 96, long story short it saved my life. I was like "maxima or bust" on the next search
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I was in college there's a guy in my dorms and he has a 4th gen Maxima. I thought it was a nice looking car and when I rode in it I was amazed at how butter smooth it is. And since my funds were tight back then I could only afford a Nissan Sentra and with the 5 speed it's a peppy car but it ain't a 6 cylinder powerhouse.

Now that I am saving up funds I have my eye on either a 4th or 5th gen Maxima, it would be nice to finally have a car with more than 4 cylinders. Evey car (3 so far) all have 4 cylinders and even my motorcycle has 4 cylinders! It's getting old and I'm seeing the price on them is pretty good too, you can get a decent used one for 3k to 6k. It's got some serious bang for the buck in a fun and reliable package!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 AM

Guess I'll chime in with the other "past/present 87 Supra owners", lol, as mine also got me tuned into online forums and modifications in general.

I wasn't honestly looking for a maxima, I'd driven a couple of "manly" pickup trucks for a few years after I sold my Supra, but with the family growing, and gas mileage being a factor, I knew I needed a car, four door for the kids, and I wanted something that at least looked good sitting in the driveway. If it was fun to drive as lagniappe, well that'd be gravy, but I wasn't holding out much hope.

I grilled CL and the local papers/roadsides for months, I didn't want to spend a ton of money, and admittedly I was being unrealistically picky. There's no way I should have scored my car like I did, but what can I say? Stars and planets aligned......

Saw an ad one day for an 02 maxima, black, loaded, leather, bose, etc., needs engine, $1800. I emailed the guy I think 4 times before hearing back from him the next day, lol, I knew this was something I could work with. I foolishly offered him $1000 sight unseen, but instead of laughing and hanging up on me, he countered with $1200 and I said when do you want to meet at the notary?

Only when I went to look at the car for the first time, did I realize it had the 3.5L in it, factory HID's, pristine black leather interior, it was an auto, which I actually preferred in my "beater/DD", as it'd make it easier to drive and harder to mod The factory 17's looked good, had good rubber on 'em, and all the bells and whistles inside (6 disc in-dash CD changer, heated memory seats, power everything) was just icing on the cake. Still to this day, can't believe I got as lucky as I did, I'll keep this car for a long time. Put a $400 engine in, so for a whopping $1600 investment and a few weekends of blood and sweat, I've got a $5,000+ car. Let the trans die, hell, let the engine die again, I've got plenty of "equity" in it.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
Guess I'll chime in with the other "past/present 87 Supra owners", lol, as mine also got me tuned into online forums and modifications in general.

I wasn't honestly looking for a maxima, I'd driven a couple of "manly" pickup trucks for a few years after I sold my Supra, but with the family growing, and gas mileage being a factor, I knew I needed a car, four door for the kids, and I wanted something that at least looked good sitting in the driveway. If it was fun to drive as lagniappe, well that'd be gravy, but I wasn't holding out much hope.

I grilled CL and the local papers/roadsides for months, I didn't want to spend a ton of money, and admittedly I was being unrealistically picky. There's no way I should have scored my car like I did, but what can I say? Stars and planets aligned......

Saw an ad one day for an 02 maxima, black, loaded, leather, bose, etc., needs engine, $1800. I emailed the guy I think 4 times before hearing back from him the next day, lol, I knew this was something I could work with. I foolishly offered him $1000 sight unseen, but instead of laughing and hanging up on me, he countered with $1200 and I said when do you want to meet at the notary?

Only when I went to look at the car for the first time, did I realize it had the 3.5L in it, factory HID's, pristine black leather interior, it was an auto, which I actually preferred in my "beater/DD", as it'd make it easier to drive and harder to mod The factory 17's looked good, had good rubber on 'em, and all the bells and whistles inside (6 disc in-dash CD changer, heated memory seats, power everything) was just icing on the cake. Still to this day, can't believe I got as lucky as I did, I'll keep this car for a long time. Put a $400 engine in, so for a whopping $1600 investment and a few weekends of blood and sweat, I've got a $5,000+ car. Let the trans die, hell, let the engine die again, I've got plenty of "equity" in it.
Jeez thats a bad *** price! I thought I found my buddy a good deal, he just picked up a 2000 SE 5spd for $1,000 but we had to drive 6 hours to Cleveland for it. Eh I got my 95 for 400 so thats not too bad either
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM

I was in 'absolute need' of a car - I was looking at a 99 Nissan Pathfinder with some 'very minor' tree markings (it leaned on one while off roading) for $3500.... but when I got to the dealership, he had a gold 2000 Pathfinder in better shape for $4000, a Maxima for $4000, and a Sentra SE-R (not sure on the year) for $4100 (very low miles on the Sentra)... well I saw the Maxima, it was white (I happen to like white cars) and it was 5 speed... both SUV's were Auto, and the Sentra was slightly more money and overall looked like it was riden and put away wet rather often...

I test drove the Maxima -- nice power, everything worked, and the guy didn't seem to care if he sold any of them... (ie no pressure from the dealer) - so I clunked down my non running Jeep Cherokee Larado (factory alarm / ecu / key fob issue keeping it from starting at random... it was a junker man.... ) and am still paying my monthly payments...

On a side note, this isn't my first Nissan (had several), and it won't be my last Nissan.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
You embarrass me.

Dad bought an 87 SE back in 87, and I basically saw this car everyday of my childhood. I loved it, and still if I could find a good condition 2nd gen, I'd pick one up. Not saying a Maxima was my dream car, but I knew I wanted one. I originally wanted a 4th gen when I was younger, and when it came time to buy one, the 5.5s were in good pricing. Spent 4 months searching, and I found my black on black 6-speed.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM

My dad bought an 01 SE when I was in college. He only owned it for 3 years, but always talked about how nice the car was. He got rid of it because he hated the nissan dealership service.

I bought my se in the same color combo, but 5spd and cloth. I had a chance to drive my dad's a few times. I didn't realize how much fun these cars are with a 5spd until I bought mine. I'm really happy with it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I bought a 240SX Coupe 5MT brand new in 1992.
god youre lucky, ive always wanted to see S13 and everything fresh off the dealership. nevermind owning a fresh S13 the closest ive seen was a garage here had a 1989 S13 that has been sitting since 1994 and it had only 30,000ish KM on it, it just needed new front body panels. i was considering buying it.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Uncle had a 1988 Maxima, was impressed at how quick it was for a 4-door and the amenities.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM

Liked Maxima's every since MenaceIISociety whatcha know about that and evey since been following the from 1990's till the new 2010. But up when I was in like 9th grade or so went to Six Flags and while leaving seen this Smoked Gray Maxima, Tinted windows it was the new 2000 dont know how they got it but there wasn't even a commercial out for them and I was like damn this is the best Max yet!! Got a 00 like in 05 had for 3 1/2years but sold cause too many problems picked up a 03 that was in the family from my dad and then started modding the ride!!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
god youre lucky, ive always wanted to see S13 and everything fresh off the dealership. nevermind owning a fresh S13 the closest ive seen was a garage here had a 1989 S13 that has been sitting since 1994 and it had only 30,000ish KM on it, it just needed new front body panels. i was considering buying it.
Lucky? Nah, it was just a new car, nearly 20 years ago now. Back then, the 240 was very common. The "poor man's Porsche", if you allow that analogy.

I think the right word is "stupid" for trading it in. I never, ever, EVER should have got rid of that 240SX. To this day, that is my greatest automotive regret. I love my Maxima, there's no doubt about that... but that little maroon, 240XS Coupe 5MT was special. And I still miss it.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 AM

I like the styling and I am a sucker for 4 doors. The car is a perfect combo of style, 4 doors, Manual transmission and speed. Also, when i test drove one i took it up to 80 in a 25 and pretty much fell in love at that moment.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Lucky? Nah, it was just a new car, nearly 20 years ago now. Back then, the 240 was very common. The "poor man's Porsche", if you allow that analogy.
but nobody makes anything similar today, everything is ugly. S13 had popup headlights, RWD, everything. i would take a S13 over a Porsche in a second

Nissan hasnt made anything like S13 since, they have timeless styling like Z32. i bet if Nissan came out with something that looked similar to a 240sx, was hatchback, brought back frog lights and made it RWD with 5spd/auto and gave it aftermarket people would buy it.

how much were 240sx back then new?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
but nobody makes anything similar today, everything is ugly. S13 had popup headlights, RWD, everything. i would take a S13 over a Porsche in a second

Nissan hasnt made anything like S13 since, they have timeless styling like Z32. i bet if Nissan came out with something that looked similar to a 240sx, was hatchback, brought back frog lights and made it RWD with 5spd/auto and gave it aftermarket people would buy it.

how much were 240sx back then new?
All true. The pop-up lights were a gorgeous design. The RWD was a blast to drive, and the car was perfectly balanced. I particularly loved my Coupe, because over 90% of the 240SX's at the time seemed to be hatchbacks.

Cost... the only options on my SE were air-conditioning and a luggage rack on the trunk lid. I'm pretty sure I paid $14,700 for it in Fall of 1991. That's the number that stuck in my head, but I might be mistaken. If I recall, the SSE model could be had with all-wheel-steering and a convertible top... but that was seriously out of my league back then.

We should let this go, Chrome. Getting way off topic.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM

4DSC is what caught my eye and its not a cop magnet
Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Nrw

Summer 07 I was looking for a new (to me) car to replace my 95 SHO atx, damn thing was broken every other week. It needed to have a similar pep and fly under the radar so to speak. That and I decided it needed to be a MT. The 4th gen max's were recommended to me by a co-worker. Found my no option SE 5mt and fell in love with it.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM

All I was looking for was a japanese 5 spd sedan with a v6 to replace my wimpy, riced out, four banger 97 Accord. Bought my 99 se in 05 and it gained my respect immediately (no more ricey stuff). If only I had known before I wouldn't have wasted all those years on Acuras and Hondas!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM

In 1995, my mom bought a 1994 Sapphire Blue Maxima, I loved that car. It's the car I learned to drive on. My sister bought a 98 White SE and loved that car too. lol. However, my first car was an 1987 Nissan 200SX SE (in 2001..lol), it had the V6 in it and it had 250,00+ miles when it gave up the good fight. I had a buick, VW, dodge, chevy...in between then and my current. I wasnt truly happy till my **** was back in a nissan.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM

...the year was 1996 and i used to drive my mom's 1991 DOdge Dynasty. one day i took my moms car over to my friends house to hang out and he said "dude, my mom left the keys to her car here".
we go into the garage and she has a silver 1989 Maxima SE auto. upon first glance it seemed pretty awesome: Bose stereo,sunroof, white faced gauges, fog lights, im thinking "man this car is nice.."
...untill we take it out for a spin...
..my buddy mashes the gas and i remember feeling a good pull...as a matter of fact...the first decent pull from any car ive ever riden in... (mind you i was 15)..
..from then on..i was hooked onto the Maxima's. as the years went by...i graduated to faster and more powerfull rides; but in the end...i drifted back to a car that had started it all for me...so many years ago

Last edited by 5 ltr. beater; 09-15-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM

ITS ALL MY MOM'S FAULT!!!!

when i was little she had a 2nd gen and when i wouldnt go to sleep we would get in the car and go drive around. sold that and had a van and 2 mercedes. then she got a 96 GLE, then a 2003 SE, then an 07 SE.

then on top of that one of my mom's friends from her hometown had a 2000 SE at the time and came over one day and we started talking about cars. we were on the way back to our house and we were in my mom's explorer. when i saw that white 5th gen fly by us goin 140mph i was like "I HAVE TO GET ONE!!" then i saw him about a year later at Zaxby's and pulled in and he was hanging out with the local Maxima group. when i got my taxes the next spring i got my first 96 SE

Quick Reply: What made you get in maxima's?