General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5spd conversion or supercharger ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 11:24 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

5spd conversion or supercharger ?

I will be selling some things and saving up $$$, into early next year. I was saving up for a 5spd conversion, but after hearing the beautiful whine of the s/c on my friends lightning, and the power it gives, I am thinking about getting one. My question is, would it be possible to find a used V1 s/c for under 2,800 ? Feedback would be very helpful.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:48 AM

I say

supa charga...I don't know about finding one that cheap. But never know.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:53 AM

Re: I say

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
supa charga...I don't know about finding one that cheap. But never know.
Agreed

Fords can get 'em for 2500, and honduh's even cheeper. Maxima is just too rare. We need more manufactorers to bring the prices down.

If only people would sell their s/c's as cheep as kirk, we could all get hooked up.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:02 PM

get the supercharger, there are first a lot more people that cn help u with the install or with problems, and a superchager does a lot more than a 5spd does as far as speed goes
Old 12-16-2001, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: I say

Your probably gona need a new tranny after the SC is on for a while, so you can do them both. The stock auto trans cant take the extra hp generated by the SC. One of the guys i met fromt a meet in chicago is on his 3rd auto tranny, he did it right this time with the level ten.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

With the supercharger kit, does it come with all the upgrade parts for your engine ? Also, if I put a trans-go shift kit on my auto tranny (58k miles)right before the supercharger would be installed, would that be suffecient ?
Old 12-16-2001, 12:56 PM

U can use the 5sp every time you get in the car. The supercharger is only going to help you when you ask for it. How many times during your every day driving do you think the maxima isnt fast enugh. If some one is faster than my max its because they paid at leaset 10k more so its fine with me that they can go faster and cut me off. 5sp is fun all the time.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by fsumax
U can use the 5sp every time you get in the car. The supercharger is only going to help you when you ask for it. How many times during your every day driving do you think the maxima isnt fast enugh. If some one is faster than my max its because they paid at leaset 10k more so its fine with me that they can go faster and cut me off. 5sp is fun all the time.
true.......
Old 12-16-2001, 01:27 PM

HUH? Get a smaller pulley, the SC will be fun all the time. And out in CALI, im sorry. 5spd is NOT fun all the time. Ive been in traffic that ppl in other states would call parking lots.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by OgreDave

HUH? Get a smaller pulley, the SC will be fun all the time. And out in CALI, im sorry. 5spd is NOT fun all the time. Ive been in traffic that ppl in other states would call parking lots.
Do you have a supercharger?
Old 12-16-2001, 03:06 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Yes he does...

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Do you have a supercharger?
Old 12-16-2001, 03:13 PM

Re: 5spd conversion or supercharger ?

I will be selling some things and saving up $$$, into early next year. I was saving up for a 5spd conversion, but after hearing the beautiful whine of the s/c on my friends lightning, and the power it gives, I am thinking about getting one. My question is, would it be possible to find a used V1 s/c for under 2,800 ? Feedback would be very helpful.
Charge it man!!!
Old 12-16-2001, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: 5spd conversion or supercharger ?

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Charge it man!!! :-+
My dream is to have a V1. At public places when people here that whine I will just sit back and smile. Of course i'd have several dozen decals to prove it.

Now all I gotta do is find one used,good and CHEEP. The odds of that are,well... ...
Old 12-16-2001, 03:58 PM

The question is, do you want sheer power or do you want it to be more fun? I think in order to really be driving you need 5spd, thats why I converted...

ok now all the automagics that are faster then me, flame away
Old 12-16-2001, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by hlh0501

The question is, do you want sheer power or do you want it to be more fun? I think in order to really be driving you need 5spd, thats why I converted...

ok now all the automagics that are faster then me, flame away
Sup Harold,

I am saving up for either boost or Charles's conversion. Are you still running on your auto ECU ?

If these 2 options (s/c | 5spd) were the same price, I would take the boost in a heartbeat. I think most anyone would. But, the reality is the conversion is like 1/3rd the price of supercharging. (With connections anyways )

Hell, maybe I will get LUCKY and find some enthusiast selling off his V1 at a great price. A guy can at least dream, cant he ?
Old 12-16-2001, 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

5 SPEED!!
look if you want the 5speed for the extra.5 sec in the 1/4 mile get the SC,if you want the 5speed cause you are a spirited driver get it,personally i wouldnt buy a autotragic maxima but if i was somehow landed with it i would 5speed it before i s/c'd itjust a lot more fun drivin a manual transmission car
Old 12-16-2001, 04:27 PM

OK, as a former 5 speed owner, I think I am unbiased towards trannies. I keep seeing people say that manuals are 'more fun'. I don't think that its fun. Could someone expand on what 'fun' is?
Old 12-16-2001, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
OK, as a former 5 speed owner, I think I am unbiased towards trannies. I keep seeing people say that manuals are 'more fun'. I don't think that its fun. Could someone expand on what 'fun' is?
I think they mean having control of your car.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:54 PM

I don't have a 5spd but I do think they are more fun...

It makes driving more interesting in general. When I race in a manual I love tearing through the gears, in my car it's just pushing the gas and sitting back and watching what happens-boring. 5spd the race is more of what YOU achieve. Also around turns you are always in the right gear instead of waiting for the automatic to downshift. What else? burnouts...lol

I think everything about a 5spd is more fun, it's just a matter of opinion, medicsonic.

Tough decision Craig. Since you have the money for a conversion for sure I say do that now and then save up until you can afford a V1. You will get more performance out of the supercharger with a manual. Also, right now you have the money to sell your automatic transmission; if it breaks from a supercharger, you won't.

PJ
Old 12-16-2001, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I personally think it's more fun because the stick allows you to keep the RPMs at the exact level you want for the conditions. The car feels like more of an extension of yourself than an automatic.

Damn... now I want a 5spd again.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
I personally think it's more fun because the stick allows you to keep the RPMs at the exact level you want for the conditions. The car feels like more of an extension of yourself than an automatic.
Exactly what I was thinking. I went out of my way to get a manual. I just don't like the car making that decision for me.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:50 PM

5spd conversion! If I could do it all over again, I would go for a 5spd conversion instead of buying a SC. Sure, with the SC, your car will be much faster. However, still having the auto tranny does have it drawbacks. An auto SC Maxima is still much slower compared to a 5spd SC Maxima. I know this first hand. Mardigrasmax has SC 5spd Maxima and I have(not for long) a SC auto Maxima. His car is easily faster then mine. Even a VB upgrade won't help much in the terms of performance, however it will help protect your auto tranny. It's really up to you. You could get a 5spd conversion and use the money you save to add NOS to your car. This was the route that I should have taken.

Or you could do what I'm trying to do. Sell the SC, rest of my mods, the car, and buy an used 300ZXTT or similar cars(RX7, Supra, or VR4).
Old 12-16-2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
5spd conversion! If I could do it all over again, I would go for a 5spd conversion instead of buying a SC. Sure, with the SC, your car will be much faster. However, still having the auto tranny does have it drawbacks. An auto SC Maxima is still much slower compared to a 5spd SC Maxima. I know this first hand. Mardigrasmax has SC 5spd Maxima and I have(not for long) a SC auto Maxima. His car is easily faster then mine. Even a VB upgrade won't help much in the terms of performance, however it will help protect your auto tranny. It's really up to you. You could get a 5spd conversion and use the money you save to add NOS to your car. This was the route that I should have taken.

Or you could do what I'm trying to do. Sell the SC, rest of my mods, the car, and buy an used 300ZXTT or similar cars(RX7, Supra, or VR4).)
Well, my friend has a lightning (auto, they all are) and its amazing. Well I guess the 380horses don't hurt...

Do you have the V1 Supercharger ?

Is that bird sold ?
Old 12-16-2001, 08:05 PM

Well, my friend has a lightning (auto, they all are) and its amazing. Well I guess the 380horses don't hurt...

Do you have the V1 Supercharger ?

Is that bird sold ?

Most domestic cars have a pretty good auto tranny. I used to have two domestic cars and both auto tranny seem to respond better then the Maxima tranny.

The SC I have is a V2 with a 3.125 pulley which gives me about 10psi of boost. The SC is sold, just need to remove it from my car to the buyer's car. The car isn't sold yet, I still have to sell off the remaining mods first.

So, what are you going to do? 5spd conversion or SC?
Old 12-16-2001, 08:28 PM

i've done sc and i've done manual swap...

i say do manual first!!!

thats just my opinion though...
Old 12-16-2001, 09:49 PM

i see what your sayin about the SVT lightning,maybe even a GTP or even a Grand national,but those cars were not available in manual and if they were,it would probably be the same debate,why would you get a GTP auto if you can opt for the GTP 5spd?know what im sayin
Old 12-16-2001, 09:53 PM

Some one was saying that 5sp are not fun in heavy traffic. I go to school in the capital of florida. At 4-6pm traffic is nutz. There are 3 universities and a zillion govt. workers all cramming the crappy streets. Its very hilly ( for florida). Very stop and go up and down hill. Then when ever I go home on the interstate over breaks there is inevitably an accident that takes 45 min at least of stop and go traffic to get threw b/c of all the rubber neckers. I never have found the 5sp to get annoying or old even in this traffic. You jsut get used to it. You have to figure EVERY time you get in the car and want to move an inch you have to use the clutch and the stick. It just gets 2nd nature you never think about it. It really isnt a pain in the *** in my oppinion. Its like if pedals were an option people would say that its so annoying in stop and go traffic to have to keep pushing differnt pedals.
....And to the question of what is fun about a 5sp.
I had a 90integra 5sp for over 2 years, then a auto 94 accord for a year and then my max 5sp. After driving the auto i never wanted to drive one again. I setled for my ugly *** gold base gxe when I could have had a loaded se auto in any color just cuz i had to have the 5sp. Whats fun is leaving it in 2nd when you are driving normally and then mashing the gass. Its just fun not waiting for the kickdown of an auto. Reving and double clutching is fun. If i had smaller feet heel toe shifiting would be fun. Its just more involving in general. But I dont frown on auto drivers. My moms has an auto camery she loves it. My dad has a 00 SE auto. Its fun to drive but not as fun as my 96 5sp.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:11 PM

i say do the swap... ive owned 4 manuals and 1 automatic in my 6 years of driving and well, 5spd's ARE more fun...
Old 12-17-2001, 07:40 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I'd rather be blown... you guys know what I mean.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I'd rather be blown... you guys know what I mean.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:13 AM

Cumalot, all the car mags have given the Maxima's transmission an excellent rating (or full circle).

after hearing what my fellow maxima.org brothers are saying, 5spd is the way to go. I live in the sanford area,(florida) and take I-4 to maitland everyday to school. Mourning traffic is not fun. But, I don't think it would get tedious but I also DONT like the idea that I will have to move both feet just to move my car an inch. No more creeping at idle. ...

I am also afraid that I will miss a gear, roll back and hit someone, and MOSTLY stall out in the middle of the road

I don't think you could financially compare a 5spd conversion to s/c. A s/c kit would cost me almost 3x what a 5spd conversion would.

Damn life and it's decisions...
Old 12-17-2001, 10:14 AM

Cumalot, all the car mags have given the Maxima's transmission an excellent rating (or full circle).

after hearing what my fellow maxima.org brothers are saying, 5spd is the way to go. I live in the sanford area,(florida) and take I-4 to maitland everyday to school. Mourning traffic is not fun. But, I don't think it would get tedious but I also DONT like the idea that I will have to move both feet just to move my car an inch. No more creeping at idle. ...

I am also afraid that I will miss a gear, roll back and hit someone, and MOSTLY stall out in the middle of the road

I don't think you could financially compare a 5spd conversion to s/c. A s/c kit would cost me almost 3x what a 5spd conversion would.

Damn life and it's decisions...

as far as running into people and stalling out and all that... i dont think u should worry too much... that is all mastered with practice, and if u drive your car every day, then it wont be long till stalling out and missing gears is a thing of the past. anyways, i live in a small city where driving down town is VERY stop and go, and i never once wish i had an automatic...
Old 12-17-2001, 12:14 PM

Here is an instance everybody

Originally posted by ShortT

as far as running into people and stalling out and all that... i dont think u should worry too much... that is all mastered with practice, and if u drive your car every day, then it wont be long till stalling out and missing gears is a thing of the past. anyways, i live in a small city where driving down town is VERY stop and go, and i never once wish i had an automatic...
Wanna swap tranny's ? Only 58k miles on mine. We can go to Jacksonville and have Cbr2 swap 'em for us.

Hey shortT and everyone, here is an example of when I feel stick would get very annoying, no ? :: 'Say you just got gas, well as you start up your car and go, you are at the limit of first gear and shift into second, but the stop sign is right there! What do you do ? I feel my auto shifting into second right before I jam the breaks. This applies to all short-stop and go situations. Can you start off in second gear ? I find my tranny searching for gears after it shifts and I stop. Oh, please share your knowledge, you lucky 5spd people you!
Old 12-17-2001, 01:05 PM

put it in neutral and coast
Old 12-17-2001, 01:07 PM

Craig, like I said, get the 5spd conversion and spend the rest on NOS. SC is great and all, but NOS is cheaper plus it might even be faster. Look at sx7r for example. His car could take out most, if not all SC Maximas on here. The only drawback to NOS is you have to get the bottle refill once in awhile.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:31 PM

Which also raises the question, just how many good NOS runs can you have without needing a refill? Anybody know how many 1/4 mile runs the average NOS tank is good for before it needs a refill? How much does it cost to refill it anyways? (Sorry, but after all i am a newbie when it comes to NOS, but after looking at the prices of the S/C and possible Turbo, it might be the way i'm heading, after i get a 5sp conversion going on).

PEACE
Old 12-17-2001, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by RastaManMax
Which also raises the question, just how many good NOS runs can you have without needing a refill? Anybody know how many 1/4 mile runs the average NOS tank is good for before it needs a refill? How much does it cost to refill it anyways? (Sorry, but after all i am a newbie when it comes to NOS, but after looking at the prices of the S/C and possible Turbo, it might be the way i'm heading, after i get a 5sp conversion going on).

PEACE
How many you get depends on bottle size and how much you run with it. The longer you run it the quicker it runs out.

SuDZ
Old 12-17-2001, 01:58 PM

NOS + BOOST
Old 12-17-2001, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: I say

Originally posted by CHI99Limited
Your probably gona need a new tranny after the SC is on for a while, so you can do them both. The stock auto trans cant take the extra hp generated by the SC. One of the guys i met fromt a meet in chicago is on his 3rd auto tranny, he did it right this time with the level ten.
and then level ten costs u another grand eh??
ahhh the beauty of modding cars..
all about the doughh
Old 12-18-2001, 01:36 AM

nos?

hmm

ill run you while you go turn yer bottle on...

Quick Reply: 5spd conversion or supercharger ?