General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

143 MPH is really quite frightening...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 11:02 PM

143 MPH is really quite frightening...

Just got back from a meet with the Atlanta goons: Swafford98, Bags553, Nismo2020, D_98SE, Ramius, me, a guy with a Civic (don't know if he's on the board), and a guy with a nice yellow Celica (again, don't know if he's on the board). We also met up with Max4Speed, but unfortunately he didn't get to run with us at all. Anyway, all I've got to say is HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! I was the cameraman in Bags553's car, and it was insanity to say the least. For those that know the area, we ran from 75 to 285E to exit 38 and then back again.

I'm sure you guys will see footage soon, but let me just say this: if you've ever wanted to see the needle buried past 140 in a 4th gen auto Max, you're going to soon. It was my first time filming, so on the first "section" of the run I didn't think to record the speedo, but we did around 130 for a stretch of 25 miles straight. Second go round, I did think to do so, and I caught it at around 140mph once, and then again at 143mph later.

The whole thing was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever allowed myself to be a part of, and one of the most fun, too. I've also got a near stock Max (Eibachs, FSTB, Clears), and it inspired me to continue modding my car. Anyway, I couldn't sleep cause I'm still buzzing from it, so I thought I'd share. It probably didn't seem that way to everyone else cause I barely said two words, but that was only cause I was scared out of my mind.

Finally: guys, don't give me/us any **** about it. We know it's f*cking retarded. We know what we're doing and how we're putting ourselves and others at risk. So shut the hell up and enjoy the videos when they come (which I don't know when they will cause they're in Nismo2020's and Bags553's hands).
Old 12-16-2001, 11:22 PM

Re: 143 MPH is really quite frightening...

Funny, i rarely get excited when im driving a buck 30 or more but when im in someone else's car doing the speed limite, i get nervous as hell, probably just like you. Having someone else control ur life is NO LIFE! When im driving at that insane speed, i just hate people pulling into my lane, because they have no idea what my rate of speed is.

Originally posted by micahdc
Just got back from a meet with the Atlanta goons: Swafford98, Bags553, Nismo2020, D_98SE, Ramius, me, a guy with a Civic (don't know if he's on the board), and a guy with a nice yellow Celica (again, don't know if he's on the board). We also met up with Max4Speed, but unfortunately he didn't get to run with us at all. Anyway, all I've got to say is HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! I was the cameraman in Bags553's car, and it was insanity to say the least. For those that know the area, we ran from 75 to 285E to exit 38 and then back again.

I'm sure you guys will see footage soon, but let me just say this: if you've ever wanted to see the needle buried past 140 in a 4th gen auto Max, you're going to soon. It was my first time filming, so on the first "section" of the run I didn't think to record the speedo, but we did around 130 for a stretch of 25 miles straight. Second go round, I did think to do so, and I caught it at around 140mph once, and then again at 143mph later.

The whole thing was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever allowed myself to be a part of, and one of the most fun, too. I've also got a near stock Max (Eibachs, FSTB, Clears), and it inspired me to continue modding my car. Anyway, I couldn't sleep cause I'm still buzzing from it, so I thought I'd share. It probably didn't seem that way to everyone else cause I barely said two words, but that was only cause I was scared out of my mind.

Finally: guys, don't give me/us any **** about it. We know it's f*cking retarded. We know what we're doing and how we're putting ourselves and others at risk. So shut the hell up and enjoy the videos when they come (which I don't know when they will cause they're in Nismo2020's and Bags553's hands).
:D :D :D :D
Old 12-16-2001, 11:40 PM

Actually, I think I would have been more scared had I been driving. Probably because my car couldn't have handled it properly, but then again D_98SE's bone stock 5spd hit 139mph...RIGHT BEHIND A COP! They slammed on the brakes and got to 70mph just behind the popo!

Anyway, as I was saying, I think I would have been a bit more nervous had it been me. Honestly, I was actually pretty calm when it was happening -- it's the idea of what I did that's scary to me now.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:00 AM

At least your suspension is upgraded somewhat. It would have been a bit more scary if not. But if going that speed upgrade your suspension more just for some reassurance.

SuDZ
Old 12-17-2001, 12:09 AM

Sorry -- let me clarify...

I was riding in Bag553's car. He was driving and I was filming. (I did NOT take my car out on the runs w/ everyone else, and neither did Nismo2020 as he was also filming) His car has a pretty good setup, actually: Eibachs, AGX's, FSTB, and 18" Konig Toxxin's w/ Kuhmo 712's. The car felt pretty damn stable at the 120-140mph we were cruising at. In fact, I commented on it in the video, but I don't know if that will make the edited version.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:12 AM

Sorry -- let me clarify...

I was riding in Bag553's car. He was driving and I was filming. (I did NOT take my car out on the runs w/ everyone else, and neither did Nismo2020 as he was also filming) His car has a pretty good setup, actually: Eibachs, AGX's, FSTB, and 18" Konig Toxxin's w/ Kuhmo 712's. The car felt pretty damn stable at the 120-140mph we were cruising at. In fact, I commented on it in the video, but I don't know if that will make the edited version.
So when will the video be ready?

SuDZ
Old 12-17-2001, 04:33 AM
JET Speed Lab

did the pike video inspire you all?
Old 12-17-2001, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
I think it did...
Old 12-17-2001, 07:24 AM
Administrator

i hit a buck fiddy
Old 12-17-2001, 07:30 AM
Disco Biscuit

Ya, when I hit 135 Sat it was the fastest I've ever gone. I guess this weekend was the day for all the GA boys to drive like morons. I will say this. Unless you have the GXE, The Maxima should be stable up to its max speed. Lets face it, the car WAS designed to go 140mph. If it want, we wouldnt have the VQ engine in it, OR ALL of the Maximas ,(not just the GXEs) would have speed limiters over 117 mph. Although I will say I was glad I have an upgraded suspention, cause I felt like I was on rails....
Old 12-17-2001, 07:44 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by ToYLeT902

YES , you and medicsonic are correct it did inspire us.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:50 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by bags533

YES , you and medicsonic are correct it did inspire us.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:34 AM

Hey Micahdc...

Sorry I didn't make it to Bags house Sunday night, still recovering from my office party on Saturday night. Did you guys run in Cobb County? When I met up with Josh (Swafford) and Carl (nismo2020) on Thursday night I got a ticket on my way home for 78mph on 285 east while cruising with traffic so there was no way I was going to do 135+mph 3 days later, lol. I meet up with you guys next time.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:36 AM

Re: Hey Micahdc...

Originally posted by GaMax97GLE
Sorry I didn't make it to Bags house Sunday night, still recovering from my office party on Saturday night. Did you guys run in Cobb County? When I met up with Josh (Swafford) and Carl (nismo2020) on Thursday night I got a ticket on my way home for 78mph on 285 east while cruising with traffic so there was no way I was going to do 135+mph 3 days later, lol. I meet up with you guys next time.
It's cool, man. There's always next time. At least, if God and the police are kind enough...

Also, Sprint, ya gotta remember -- we hit 143 in an automatic w/ only CAI, budget Y-pipe, and exhaust. If I remember correctly, you've got a 5sp AND NOS? I also want to note that Ramius's Max is FAST AS SH*T. Bags and he had a little go on the highway from about 60 or 70 (I think -- could have been faster) and Ramius handed us our ***. Then again, he's got a 50 shot of NOS, so that might have something to do with it.

Unfortunately for him, though, he's got a GXE speed limited at 120 or so, so he couldn't really show everyone what his top end is. I would imagine he would have easily hit 150 or 155.

As a side note, I'd just like to say Bags is the craziest and goofiest motherf*cker alive (don't worry man -- I still love you!). From the very beginning he had his foot planted on the gas weaving in and out of traffic in the 127-133mph range. We're talking about passing cars by inches and ****. It scared the hell out of me. But not only did he do that, he talked to his car, saying such choice lines as, "WHAT'S MY MOTHER****ING NAME, B*TCH!?" and, "COME ON, BABY. GIVE IT TO ME, B*TCH!" Fortunately for him, I was too enthralled with the fact that we were going a buck-thirty to laugh -- it was my first time riding with him (or anyone) at that speed.

Point is, if anyone wants to be entertained in every possible way (excitement, fear, adrenaline, humor), ride with Bags. It's quite a show.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:09 AM

do i hear NOS, bags??? oh no, i'm giving him ideas!!! run, run for ur life!!!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I didn't use NOS when i hit 150
Old 12-17-2001, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

you use NOS to go slower...
come on up this weekend and witness the beast she is on 15 inch GXE steelies now.. pure stealth.. pure stealth
Old 12-17-2001, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
I didn't use NOS when i hit 150
Still, it's a 5spd. Bags' auto had trouble breaking 135 even w/ his mods but D_98SE's 5spd that's bone stock hit 139 and I think still had some juice in it but had to brake for the pig.

Anyway, 150 is still nice as hell, though, and I commend you for your accomplishment! "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!"
Old 12-17-2001, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Still, it's a 5spd. Bags' auto had trouble breaking 135 even w/ his mods but D_98SE's 5spd that's bone stock hit 139 and I think still had some juice in it but had to brake for the pig.

Anyway, 150 is still nice as hell, though, and I commend you for your accomplishment! "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!"
it was downhill
Old 12-17-2001, 11:14 AM
Administrator

LoL... maybe...given its not snowing.
i just thought about something.. both our license are suspended.. if you come up on a friday.. we can spend the weekend together in jail oh i spoke to clee already .. Thurs, Friday, Sat and Sun are clear skys
Old 12-17-2001, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i just thought about something.. both our license are suspended.. if you come up on a friday.. we can spend the weekend together in jail

oh i spoke to clee already .. Thurs, Friday, Sat and Sun are clear skys
WooHoo!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:20 AM

Man, you guys are driving like that with suspened licences? MAN, have you got b#lls!! I have a NY license, and I was busted in CT doing 118. Needless to say, my priviliges in CT have been suspended, but my NY license is fine. Whenver I take a trip to Boston or soemthing, I just take it easy thru CT. Those highways are real temptin, though . .especially 91 and 84

DW
Old 12-17-2001, 11:21 AM
Administrator

i think if we all get chased by cops.. our brothers should save us and do something stupid to divert attention
Old 12-17-2001, 11:40 AM

i think if we all get chased by cops.. our brothers should save us and do something stupid to divert attention
Like driving around with signs in the back windows that say "Pull us over the two guys in the lead have suspended licenses" ? Or did you have something else in mind?

Stereodude
Old 12-17-2001, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I can work with that
Originally posted by Stereodude

Like driving around with signs in the back windows that say "Pull us over the two guys in the lead have suspended licenses" ? Or did you have something else in mind?

Stereodude
Old 12-17-2001, 11:54 AM

it was downhill
Shhhh, don't tell anyone...so was Bags' 143mph run.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:58 AM

Actually, I think I would have been more scared had I been driving. Probably because my car couldn't have handled it properly, but then again D_98SE's bone stock 5spd hit 139mph...RIGHT BEHIND A COP! They slammed on the brakes and got to 70mph just behind the popo!

Am actually very suprised that the cop did not see me as i was charging towards him at that speed.

Nismo2020 has the shot of my car redlining fourth at 120mph then when we are about to hit 140mph in fifth at around 5.7k rpm we spot the cop and dramatically kill the speed[ insert sound of nismo2020 screaming].

All this is all on tape of course cop and all.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:06 PM

Less offensive language than The Pike Video ?
Actually you might catch a few unless bags adds some music to it.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:09 PM

Yeah, when I drive slow, like 65-70, I get dammmnnnn sleepy.

DW

LoL...I hope so...

dwapenyi, I'm a good driver, but its when I drive slow, I get stupid tickets; except for running from the cops, which was stupid on my part
Old 12-17-2001, 12:33 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

HA HA!!!!!

micah your narration was funny as f**k. also very accurate. Sprint i feel ya with the steelies - straight sleeper mode.

D98s bone stock max hit 139 with out breaking a sweat. i love the vq engine. like he said he was in 4th gear redline and we could carry a regular conversation. i think 139 is the fastest ive ever remember going. once again micah you had me crying - "Anyway i couldnt sleep cause im still buzzing from it"
Old 12-17-2001, 12:34 PM

Anyone know what the VQ consumes at top speed's?

I left bags house with a full tank and came back at half tank yet we did no more than 70mile's.

So in effect after a few "erratic calculation's" based on half tank being at 9gallons and total miles travelled, something tell's me that my max was consuming 7.78mpg
Old 12-17-2001, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by d_98SE

Am actually very suprised that the cop did not see me as i was charging towards him at that speed.

Nismo2020 has the shot of my car redlining fourth at 120mph then when we are about to hit 140mph in fifth at around 5.7k rpm we spot the cop and dramatically kill the speed[ insert sound of nismo2020 screaming].
Yeah, no ****! I can't believe the copper didn't see you guys, man. Bags and I slowed down, and I just figured the exit was coming up or he wanted to wait for you guys, and then we see your crazy *** BLAST THE F*CK by at like Mach 10 and then just LAY on the brakes. Bags is sitting there going, "Oh sh*t!" and I can't figure out what's going on cause I didn't see the cop. I just thought Bags was really impressed or something.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:07 PM
Administrator

no speeding thread isn't complete without this pic

Old 12-17-2001, 01:18 PM

Re: HA HA!!!!!

Originally posted by nismo2020
micah your narration was funny as f**k. also very accurate. Sprint i feel ya with the steelies - straight sleeper mode.

D98s bone stock max hit 139 with out breaking a sweat. i love the vq engine. like he said he was in 4th gear redline and we could carry a regular conversation. i think 139 is the fastest ive ever remember going. once again micah you had me crying - "Anyway i couldnt sleep cause im still buzzing from it"
Thanks, man. Glad I could entertain. I'm actually a pretty "colorful" guy once I loosen up a bit -- just takes me a little while to "settle" into a group. You'll probably hear a lot more out of me the next time we run.

Man, all this **** is going to make me a poor, poor man. Mods to come in very short order: RSB, AGX's, 18" Mille Miglia Evo's w/ Kuhmo 712's, clear tails, diamond cut clears, PIAA lights, and black leather seats w/ red piping from leatherseats.com. Oh, and a shaved hamburger on the trunk and 25% tint. I'm expecting total cost to be around, oh, $3100.

And that's just suspension and cosmetics -- not one performance mod. It's cool, though -- those will come later after I switch out my autotragic for a 5spd this summer.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:22 PM

no speeding thread isn't complete without this pic

For the love of God, who is that, and what the hell does he have in his car?
Old 12-17-2001, 01:23 PM
Administrator

For the love of God, who is that, and what the hell does he have in his car?
that is the super GXE owned by me
Old 12-17-2001, 01:40 PM

that is the super GXE owned by me
That's not 150mph! That's like 155-160mph. Look at you, trying to be all modest and stuff! Nice job, man. My ***** simply aren't that big. Hell, if they were, I'd go to the doctor to make sure everything was ok.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:48 PM
Ramius83

Yeah, that was a lot of fun last night. When Bags and I dragged starting from 60+, I pulled on him, but again, he had Micah in there taping and I was also shooting the gas (50) as well. But it was a ton of fun. I wish I could have seen d_98SE and his lil' experience with the popo. It probably would have been me if I hadn't gotten off to go home. All is good though, better him then me, right d_98SE? Just kidding. Anyways, Bags, I think it was you that had the "bad gas" inside your apartment, or the Celica guy (sorry, don't know his name). But it was crazy. When we were going on the downhill run, I was hitting the NOS and I hit 137, I don't know how, but I did. So something is up. But on another note, can I put an SE ECU into my Max to get rid of the rev limiter? Thanks all.

Old 12-17-2001, 02:27 PM

LMAO!!!

Originally posted by Stereodude

Stereodude
Old 12-17-2001, 02:33 PM

come on up this weekend and witness the beast she is on 15 inch GXE steelies now.. pure stealth.. pure stealth
The Beast???

Quick Reply: 143 MPH is really quite frightening...