General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What would you do if this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Still Learning

What would you do if this happened to you?

Trying to get the oil leak fixed. The whole thing took 45 days, 9 trips to the shop, more than $600 in rental cars for commute, more than 1000 miles of increase in mileage and countless hours and calls.

Sorry for all the nagging, I just have to vent. If you had time, you are welcome to read the following story…..

Back in last November, I noticed a burnt oil smell after each time I drove the car. Figured it’d be oil and/or PS fluid leak although none of them were dripping down to the floor. Took the car to a shop that’s 30min away from my apartment, but since it’s recommended by several members, so I thought it would worth the trouble (trip #1). The owner inspected it right away and suggested the replacement of both valve cover gaskets and PS hoses. Two days later, I went pick up my car, and that’s December 16 (trip #2). They did charge much less than the dealership. Little did I know that’s the start of the nightmare.

Cleaned the car, detailed the engine bay, noticed a bit burning smell, thought that was just the residue from previous leak. Two days later, the smell still persisted. Noticed two pots of oil on my garage floor the next day. I checked and saw the oil dripping….. Had to take the car back to them (trip #3), they said the O rings were not done right and they would fix it. A few days later, I went pick up my car (trip #4) as they said it’s done.

Again, washed the car, clean the bay, still noticed a bit of smell. Put a cardboard underneath the engine since I was tired of cleaning garage floor. The very next day, oil leaked again. On the cardboard, there was this pot of oil about the size of half-of-one-dollar-bill on the cardboard. Took the car back to them again (trip #5), while the mileage read 172149. The mechanic said he was not aware of the rear gasket leak. A couple days later, called for an update, no one answered the phone. Almost a week passed, the owner finally answered my call and told me the aftermarket parts didn’t work and he would go to dealership to pick up a factory set. A few days later, trying to get the car back, called but no one answered. This is my daily drive to school/work. Till then, I have already spent more than three hundred dollars on rental cars.

I was aware of the incoming ice storm and would love to get the car back before it hit on Jan 9. The owner said he could drop it off at my apartment complex on Friday, Jan 7, but the maxima never came home. Called him, no answer. Stopped by the shop on Jan 8 as some of them sometimes work during the weekends , and my car was nowhere to be found (trip #6).

Finally reached him on Wednesday, Jan 12. He said the job was done and he drove the car home. The roads were iced up so he could not get out. That’s fine, I thought, as long as the maxima was safe.

Called him again and again on Friday, Jan 14, thinking if I could go pick it up. No answer.

Called him again on Monday, Jan 17, he said he had something to tell me. While he was pulling the car out of the shop after the job was done, the car slipped on ice and wrecked the passenger side fender. I had to stop by the shop to see how bad it was (trip #7). He said he had already ordered a new fender and it’s coming later that day and the body work would be done by the next day. After I brought the broken corner light to his attention, he said he would also order a new light.

Called on Wednesday, Jan 19, and the other owner said it’d be ready on Thursday. Thursday, called to confirm if it’s ready to pickup, “no, but definitely tomorrow”. Called on Friday, “the new fender was painted, and we just need to put it on”. Great~ stopped by the shop (trip #8), and guess what, it’s not ready. Waited for 2.5 hours for him to put it on. I noticed the bent antenna, and they didn’t order the corner light.

Before I left with the car, the owner said he power-washed the engine, and the battery light sometimes came on. He said he’d like to be honest with customers. Off I drove. Five hundred yards later, the car died in the middle of a 4-lane traffic while I was making a U turn trying to get back to the shop as soon as all the lights were dimming down. They came out and 4 jump starts later, the maxima was back to the shop again. Owner dropped me off at my apartment and promised he would replace the alternator on Saturday and drop the car off to me.

He didn’t answer his phone during that weekend and the beginning of the week. I had to call another mechanic in order to reach him on Thursday, Jan 27. He replied, “I was trying to call you but could not find your number”. He said he could drop off the car early Friday morning before rush hours, say 6:30 to 7:00am. So I woke up at 5:30am getting ready and till 7:30am he again didn’t keep his word. Didn’t rent a car that day, so took the Marta. I can’t afford more than $600 in rental car expense. Owner called at 9:30 saying he overslept. I asked him if he could drop it off that afternoon or evening and he said yes.

I kept trying to reach him on Friday afternoon and evening, no answer, what a surprise. Stopped by the shop Saturday morning Jan 29 (trip #9). Car was not there. The other owner was there and could not give a satisfying answer.

The car was dropped off later Saturday evening Jan 29. Finally……

The mileage read 173161. They put more than 1000 miles on the car while they kept telling me the car was not ready or not answering the calls and while I had to do rental cars. The carpet is all greasy. The light is still busted. The antenna is bent and could not go back in. And they put a hole in my rear leather seat.

I am so tired of all these.

Last edited by t65k3; 01-30-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Got Retrofit?

Sue my man, sue.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 AM

If you can get enough documentation to hold up in court, there has to be some basis as to suing him. The mileage is DEFINITELY unordinary (sounds like someone took it on vacation). I hope you get it all settled down because I had that happen to me before but it was with my 91 Z71.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 AM

Crazy! I may look in to legal help, but I wouldn't even know how to go about it.

Good luck with it. Hope your major headache ends soon.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Police report should be step 1. Use the yellow book, if you have a case some lawyers will work and collect from the settlement.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

I would have taken it to another shop by trip #2, to be honest.

You were being way too nice, and that man took advantage of you.

I know for a fact that most members on here would have probably threatened that mechanic and taken their car back by the time he didn't follow through with the second promise.

Also in regards to recommendations from other members and people, I think you should do research and compare and contrast all the options yourself. I've had shops where even my family recommended to me that ended up costing me several trips and lots of frustration. The guy I took my car to, to replace a MAF because the part and labor he charged was cheaper than what I could buy a aftermarket MAF for, so I chose to go to him and ended up having to buy my own MAF after the sensor he changed for me failed 3 times.

But in the end I got some of my money back and replaced the MAF myself so it wasn't a total loss.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Take him to small claims court. Make him pay for your expenses.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM

by the second trip there was a red flag if they didn't install the part correctly. at this point could do small claims court but if there is no official record of the mileage it will not hold up.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM

I see your in Atlanta, do you mind disclosing the name of the shop?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by yevgenievich
by the second trip there was a red flag if they didn't install the part correctly. at this point could do small claims court but if there is no official record of the mileage it will not hold up.
Mileages were documented by dealer when performing oil change before and after.

I have some proofs of the car being used by them for personal purposes. I found popcorns and BBQ bones in the car as well as their banking slips. I took pictures of them all and keep the slips as evidence.

I think a complaint at the small claim court is in order.

Thanks for the reply, guys....

mdliber, will pm you...

Last edited by t65k3; 02-03-2011 at 10:07 AM.