General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: leather vs. cloth
leather interior
68.13%
cloth interior
29.01%
not sure
2.86%
Voters: 455. You may not vote on this poll

leather seats vs. cloth seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 10:55 PM

leather seats vs. cloth seats

i'm shopping new maximas for 2002 and i'm debating the seats. is it really worth it to get the leather interior?? i mean they look sharper but if it gets too hot you get fried or too cold you get frosted. but i'm really a leather loving kinda person! i like the cloth interior that i presently have but i also keep in mind the stain possibility and my friends ALWAYS eat in my car. Any feedback and help on the decision would be really appreciated!
Old 12-27-2001, 11:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For some reason, I was never into leather. I've ridden in several different Maximas with leather along with several different cars with leather... and I've always like cloth better.

Old 12-27-2001, 11:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm

How much is the leather option for the 2k2 from Nissan??????

I would much rather get it without leather and save some $ on Nissan leather which is not even that good.... then go to www.leatherseats.com and order their custom made leather for like 700$ which would probably be cheaper then getting Nissans leather.
Even though my car doesn't have it, (GXE) i love leather... in the summer time, just cover them up, or get a nice window tint.... It's no big deal.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:12 PM

I love leather

wouldn't have a car without it.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:19 PM

I dont really like leather much. it makes me feel like im on a big heavy leather couch. I think that cloth looks better if its a dark color. I love the factory seats that come with celica gt-s
Old 12-27-2001, 11:43 PM

The leather seats will make the interior look a whole lot better. I got many compliments on how nice the leather interior looked from other Maxima owners who didn't have leather in their car. It depend on you. As you know, living down here, it tend to get very hot in the summer. If I could do it over again, I would not have got the leather. Instead, I would have got the cloth seat and then either buy aftermarket leather or better yet, get some sport seats. If you want leather you could get aftermarket leather that is a whole lot cheaper than what the dealer will charge you.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:23 AM

I wouldn't buy a car with leather seats. In Florida it's unbearable to sit on leather in the hot sun. Plus, to me cloth feels a lot more comfortable and holds you in better during those quick turns.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'd say it depends on where you live

I have black leather and live in Alabama. It is horrible in the summer, I wish I had cloth 9 months out of the year. Now if you live in a colder climate this is probably not an issue. I do agree that leather looks a lot sharper though.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Cloth -> Aftermarket Leather..

as NYCE Max said.. you can't beat aftermarket custom leather for such a low price.. and you can get two tone

Old 12-28-2001, 05:33 AM

Colder weather sucks even more for leather, i'd rather have my *** burnt rather than frozen.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by RastaManMax
Colder weather sucks even more for leather, i'd rather have my *** burnt rather than frozen.
i don't have those problems.. neither hot nor cold.. is it because my seats are preforated?
Old 12-28-2001, 06:19 AM

Leather

I voted for the cloth and the reason is you can get custom leather from www.customleather.com and it's cheaper than factory. It's also higher quality. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2001, 07:29 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I've owned/drive many cars with and without leather. In a moderate climate (Lowest winter temp 32 degrees, highest summer temp 80 degrees) they are excellent, as long as you get buckets if you want to corner without sliding out.

In the 12 degree temps we have here today, they would have been too cold unless they had seat warmers (even then they're too cold, but for about 2 minutes) In the 90-100 degree temps we get for 3 months of the year they are waaay too hot if left in the sun without dark tinted windows. That's why I keep staying away from leather in this country - the temp extremes don't work with leather.

You wanna know hot seats? My dad had a canvas-roofed ex-Army Land Rover that we all rode in when he was posted to Saudi Arabia back in the early 80's. The rear passengers sat on un-upholstered metal seats. When the canvas roof was down the hot desert sun would heat up the seats to a point where simply touching them with bare hands would produce actual burns that could even require medical treatment. We had to carry towels in a cooler to sit on. But that was something of a balancing act because you can't hold on to the canvas roof supports or the sides of the truck because they're just as hot so it was just a case of balance yourself on your feet and butt, and hope to hell the driver didn't make any sudden moves that made you slip off your towel...
Old 12-28-2001, 07:53 AM

Its a matter of personal preference. I have had 5 cars in the last 7 years all with leather. I loved them at first, but I also had the same problems being cold in winter and hot & sticky in the summer. When I bought my Max I got cloth and have been very happy. I agree that the leather looks nicer, but I am getting to old whereas looks do not count as much with me anymore as comfort My advice it to get what you like and what you feel comfortable with.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:11 AM

Re: hmm

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
How much is the leather option for the 2k2 from Nissan??????

I would much rather get it without leather and save some $ on Nissan leather which is not even that good.... then go to www.leatherseats.com and order their custom made leather for like 700$ which would probably be cheaper then getting Nissans leather.
Even though my car doesn't have it, (GXE) i love leather... in the summer time, just cover them up, or get a nice window tint.... It's no big deal.
This would be a wiser decision, Nissan is going to charge up the Yingyang for that darn leather package. At least $1200 plus. I can drop the car and get a CAI, and Ypipe and make it a bit faster etc..and still have money left over for some sway bars or FSTB.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:18 AM
www.autotalk.com

car sux without leather.. but when i was shopping for a 2k2 max (not anymore) i was thinking of getting cloth and then getting the aftermarket leather for it. go that way bro.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:26 AM

go for the leather...if its the temp problem go for the heated seats as well so you wont freeze and in summer a windshield sun shade and tinted windows will help. (i mean dont get them just for the leather but theyre good for other things) I have black leather on superblack on my 92 SE and im putting MORE leather in it...in the door panels. (they always came cloth in 3rd gens and it looks tacky with leather seats) In the spring will come the tint and i already have a sunshade for the windshield they really do help. But as for the cold no i dont have heateds but they warm up pretty quickly after my fat @$$ sits on them
Old 12-28-2001, 08:53 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by Maximan190
go for the leather...But as for the cold no i dont have heateds but they warm up pretty quickly after my fat @$$ sits on them

Old 12-28-2001, 09:11 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Can you get heated seats without leather?

Anyone know?

Because, Leather really is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. The summer problem can be dealt with with a nice tint, and a sun shade, won't entirely elliminate the problem, but will help out well. In the winter, if you have heated seats, then it's no big deal. Besides, get a remote start, and have the car warm up in the winter, before you get in it, and have it cool off in the summer... Leather looks too good and feels too good in regular temperatures, makes the whole interior look way more upscale.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:57 AM

Cloth. Then buy sport seats....
Old 12-28-2001, 11:04 AM

I love the leather... Feels nice and comfy.. The only thing I don't like is that I have to crank up my seat warmers in the winter
Old 12-28-2001, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Re: Can you get heated seats without leather?

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Anyone know?

Because, Leather really is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. The summer problem can be dealt with with a nice tint, and a sun shade, won't entirely elliminate the problem, but will help out well. In the winter, if you have heated seats, then it's no big deal. Besides, get a remote start, and have the car warm up in the winter, before you get in it, and have it cool off in the summer... Leather looks too good and feels too good in regular temperatures, makes the whole interior look way more upscale.
if you ordered preforated leather.. it doesn't get as hot in the summer.. and it is not as cold in the winter..
Old 12-28-2001, 11:32 AM

i love my cloth interior, i wouldnt have bought the car if it had leather. go with the cloth, ya get sick of it ya can always add leather like mentioned.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190
But as for the cold no i dont have heateds but they warm up pretty quickly after my fat @$$ sits on them

hehehehehe LOL Yippy human heater good for you
Old 12-28-2001, 04:41 PM

i love the cloth seats in my 2001, they feel really nice to the touch. it was either the choice between a new gxe, or a used 4th gen, maybe gle or loaded se, i chose the new gxe, rather have the new car. but i love the seats, i think there is less maintanence for cloth seats, unless a drink is spilled on them. leather reacts to the outside temp real easily and it also cracks, looks ugly after a while, and you have to condition it often, not a lot of people have the time for that. get the cloth, it will be cheaper right now, and if you decide you want leather later on, get aftermarket leather, its a win win situation either way.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:17 PM

it actually depends on the cloth; some cloths are ok but the cloths on the 3rd gens are horrible, so dam rough..so im happy with my leather
Old 12-28-2001, 07:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Leather all the way. If you like leather then you'll deal with the hot and cold weather. Leather looks so much classier.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:28 PM

two words - resale, cleaning
Old 12-29-2001, 12:45 PM

Iwould have to say cloth, after a few years most leather in cars is either all wrinkled up or even tearstimes. Cloth seems to age better over time keeping its looks better than leather.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:29 PM

For many I hated leather, because of all the reasons that are listed above. Then I grew older and moved in circles with richer friends who all had leather furniture and leather in their cars - they loved it. Now I do too! It really isn't as bad as most people say and most of the nay sayers (like me) had never owned leather (until now).

The majority of cloth 2k2 Maximas have the frost cloth which didn't do anything for me (I also have two kids now) and my dealer couldn't find a cloth charcoal interior anywhere in Western Canada. They offered to put black leather in a frost interior - Yuck! for $1200 Cdn. I opted for the black leather (since my car is black) and I've been very happy. It is almost impossible to get the perforated leather, but with seat warmers and 35/20% tint who cares. I used some Lexol leather conditioner to soften it up even more and make it a bit grippier in the cold - Love it. Even the simulated leather on the doors looks cool.

My wife drives a '98 SE with charcoal sport cloth and that looks a he** of a lot better than the 2k2 SE cloth IMHO.
p.s. A tip I got from a friend that tints and details high-end cars is to use liquid shoe polish on any worn leather areas to make them look like new.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:45 PM

Well Maxed the charcoal cloth in the 2k2 looks good bud, I have it mine and its great. it looks alot better than the 2k and 2k1's cloth. As far as cloth goes the 89 and 90 MAX GXE had the best looking cloth interior Nissan has made.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:32 PM

I never had leather, but I ordered it this time giving it a try. Still don't have my 2k2 HSLD 6 speed yet, but here are my reasons for going with the leather package:

• easy clean up (5 month old baby, and dog, golden retarded)
• heated seats will take that winter chill out. Would I get leather without heated seat? most definitely not.
• if you smoke, cigarette burns instantly in cloth (read synthetic nylon), takes more time on leather and not as noticeable
• re-sale
• prestige
• doesn't get as dusty or hold that much dust & dirt
• wears better than cloth,
• better fade resistance to UV

CONS:

• sticky in the summer, even with air and tint because your skin doesn't breathe as well.
• not as grippy as cloth

Hope my 2 cents helps
Old 12-30-2001, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by LEADFOOT
not as grippy as cloth

Hope my 2 cents helps
thats good then...makes everyone in the car buckle up so they dont slide around; works in my car
Old 12-30-2001, 10:41 PM

leather, it just feels and smells good.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

cloth is better in all practical means
grippier, cooler in summer, warmer in winter, easier to clean, less prone to staining, and cheaper...

leather is only for looks and smell
Old 12-30-2001, 11:13 PM

wow you guys i got such a great response thank you sooooo much! i think i'm going to go with the cloth when i order it and then if i decide to get leather i'll order them - not from nissan. It works out in all ways and it's the cheaper choice! again thank you so much you all really did help me
Old 12-30-2001, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Well Maxed the charcoal cloth in the 2k2 looks good bud, I have it mine and its great. it looks alot better than the 2k and 2k1's cloth. As far as cloth goes the 89 and 90 MAX GXE had the best looking cloth interior Nissan has made.
Our first choice would have been the charcoal cloth with the dark interior for a black car. The black leather option was pricey, but I like it so far. The car seems more luxurious which suits me now that I'm getting to old to race kids with more NOS than brains
Old 12-30-2001, 11:40 PM

No prob My Maxine, enjoy it once you get it and let us know when you do. I love my 2k2,but equally so my 97SE after 4 years!
Old 12-31-2001, 12:32 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I just done installing my aftermarket leather interior in my 96 Maxima. It takes the "ho-hum" look of the cloth interior and changes it dramatically into something far more luxurious. The leather also seems to increase bolstering somewhat. The seats went from looking flat and ecomony into something that truely looked "flagship". I will never have cloth again. Leather is much colder than cloth, but once the car is warmed up (about 5 minutes) the difference is negligible.

Dave
Old 12-31-2001, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I just done installing my aftermarket leather interior in my 96 Maxima. It takes the "ho-hum" look of the cloth interior and changes it dramatically into something far more luxurious. The leather also seems to increase bolstering somewhat. The seats went from looking flat and ecomony into something that truely looked "flagship". I will never have cloth again. Leather is much colder than cloth, but once the car is warmed up (about 5 minutes) the difference is negligible.

Dave
I am in the process of getting my leather installed. I have the seats done and it looks great. I have to say that I will never buy a car without leather again. The install is a pain in the a$$.

Quick Reply: leather seats vs. cloth seats