General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Working on making a comeback!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Working on making a comeback!

Good evening folks! As the title states I've been hard at work hoping to make a comeback soon... Ive been out the scene for a hot minute until recently when I bought my 3rd gen VE-5 for a daily... Originally I had planned on just keeping my 3rd gen dead stock but that didnt go so well lol...

Finally under better circumstances I have been able to stack a decent chunk of change to dump on my first love, my 4th gen. A resurrection long over due if finally under way... Well fellas I'm hear because I have a few questions and I'd really like to get input from all those experienced with certain mods I'm looking into no matter the generation, assuming thats irrelevant... Okay here we go.

1st:
Findanza Light Weight Flywheel...
Im considering upgrading to a light weight flywheel since I'm installing an ACT stage 1 clutch. Ive searched and found that some people have issues at luanch due to the harsher clamping of ACTs pressure plate and the faster spin of the Light weight flywheel. I'd like to hear from those who've had experience with the performance clutch / light weight flywheel... Is it a noticeable difference from just running a performance clutch with the oem flywheel? better, worse not noticeable?

2nd:
BC Coilovers...
One of the things I'm looking to upgrade STAT! first off are BC coilovers not BOSS CHEN??? It might be a dumb question but I've been out for a while. I apologize for this noob moment lol... I've done alot of research and I see that most people have gone with the BR series but I was wondering if anyone might have any experience with the RAM series... Are they worth the couple hundred dollar difference? hows the build quality? Are there any issues as far blow outs? I've got history with Ksports and loved them, never had an issue minus occasional clunking in cold weather... is noise a problem with BC coilovers?

Finally:
Cattman y-pipe...
Does anyone know where I can buy one brand new? I have the funds for one right now but I'm not sure tha the cattman website is current....

Well people I can honestly say I'm excited to be back in the community again. All help, opinions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by enomik-1
Good evening folks! As the title states I've been hard at work hoping to make a comeback soon... Ive been out the scene for a hot minute until recently when I bought my 3rd gen VE-5 for a daily... Originally I had planned on just keeping my 3rd gen dead stock but that didnt go so well lol...

Finally under better circumstances I have been able to stack a decent chunk of change to dump on my first love, my 4th gen. A resurrection long over due if finally under way... Well fellas I'm hear because I have a few questions and I'd really like to get input from all those experienced with certain mods I'm looking into no matter the generation, assuming thats irrelevant... Okay here we go.

1st:
Im considering upgrading to a light weight flywheel since I'm installing an ACT stage 1 clutch. Ive searched and found that some people have issues at luanch due to the harsher clamping of ACTs pressure plate and the faster spin of the Light weight flywheel. I'd like to hear from those who've had experience with the performance clutch / light weight flywheel... Is it a noticeable difference from just running a performance clutch with the oem flywheel? better, worse not noticeable?

2nd:
BC Coilovers...
One of the things I'm looking to upgrade STAT! first off are BC coilovers not BOSS CHEN??? It might be a dumb question but I've been out for a while. I apologize for this noob moment lol... I've done alot of research and I see that most people have gone with the BR series but I was wondering if anyone might have any experience with the RAM series... Are they worth the couple hundred dollar difference? hows the build quality? Are there any issues as far blow outs? I've got history with Ksports and loved them, never had an issue minus occasional clunking in cold weather... is noise a problem with BC coilovers?

Finally:
Cattman y-pipe...
Does anyone know where I can buy one brand new? I have the funds for one right now but I'm not sure tha the cattman website is current....

Well people I can honestly say I'm excited to be back in the community again. All help, opinions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
1) I have had a fidanza in my 4th gen for a while now. It's a good mod but it does have it's trade offs. When you punch the gas a lower rpms, the car will shudder, it's pretty annoying You will like the ACT clutch. I ran that one for 4-5 years with no problems and it held the power of my supercharger with out a problem.

2)BC does NOT stand for Boss Chen. I don't have experience with them but I am also looking to buy a set.

3)PM cattman, I think they are tying to get a group deal going currently.

Last edited by cardana24; 08-11-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Gram Lights addict

1st:

2nd:
BC Coilovers...

Finally:
Cattman y-pipe...

Fidanza flywheel is amazing and greatly helps your pick up as its much lighter. I would stay away from ACT Clutch. I had one with heavy dute pressure plate on my boosted 4th gen and the engagement was a hit or miss. it was very stiff to a point where the entire car ratteled upon engagement. If you are N/A i would opt for exedy oem replacement for about $120 (entire kit). if you have boost plans, id go with exedy stage 1 (I also had this in my boosted 4th and it was more stiff than stock but def much better than ACT). regardless, fidnaza is nothing short of providing you with sporty acceleration. only thing about it is that in some cases the car comes to a near stall in between shifts as it is much lighter and has less momentum and comes to a stop faster, dorpping RPM's lower. i raised my idle to cure this but i also had a SC which slows down the motor to begin with. you might not have this problem on N/A car.

I had Ksports on my car for 3 years and they rode the same as my BC Racings (yes they are not boss chen's). however the BC's did not have any of that clicking noise and also come with the brackets for brake lines. they seemd a bit of a higher quality kit but thats about it. if you're trying to stay under $1,000 then go with these.

call brian for the headers, im sure he sells them.

nice to have you back on the .org, its been a minute since i last saw you post.

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 08-11-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM

For the y-pipe, consider calling Brian Catts directly.
For the coilovers, look into Fortune Auto.
For the flywheel, just do it lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
(yes they are not boss chen's)
Is this true? I did not know they were not Boss Chen's
Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by cardana24
Is this true? I did not know they were not Boss Chen's
Yup, it is. BC's are not Boss Chen's.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Boosted Panda

1st:

2nd:
BC Coilovers...

Finally:
Cattman y-pipe...

About time, I need another Maxima to cruise around with.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 PM

thanks all for your input! I will see if I can get ahold of that y-pipe by brian catts.. I hope i can get my hands on one...

cardana24:
thank you sir! you confirmed what I was suspecting... I love the ACT so thats happening and I guess being NA i dont really need to worry about the max gettin up quick, I might just pass on this. It will surley be a mod I'll consider this mod down the line...

QT1 5MT AE:
yeah I'm dead set on the ACT man.. I love the engagment on those things lol...
preciate it though sir, im glad to be back... cant wait for the max to be up again!!!

Flava:
Down bro. hopefully it'll be soon... gotta get a paint job though after all the sun damage :/, but i'll do WORK!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Gram Lights addict

you would have more fun with the fidanza and exedy oem replacement than with oem flywheel with act. it just makes the car so much quicker and begs you to rev it....you would spend about the same out the pocket too since exedy oem is a full kit for about $130.....

I would still go with exedy stage 1 before ACT if you want that sharp engagement. just my two cents.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
you would have more fun with the fidanza and exedy oem replacement than with oem flywheel with act. it just makes the car so much quicker and begs you to rev it....you would spend about the same out the pocket too since exedy oem is a full kit for about $130.....

I would still go with exedy stage 1 before ACT if you want that sharp engagement. just my two cents.
I'll look more into the exedy stage 1 clutch but from what I understand its pretty much an OEM replacement... I'd like some kind of increse in clamping force but again if there is a stage 1 performance exedy I will most definitely look into that and a light weight flywheel combo. thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Boosted Panda

I'll look more into the exedy stage 1 clutch but from what I understand its pretty much an OEM replacement... I'd like some kind of increse in clamping force but again if there is a stage 1 performance exedy I will most definitely look into that and a light weight flywheel combo. thanks.
Exedy does make an OEM replacement but the Stage 1 is not it.
I loved my Stage 1, much better clampng force, with just a slightly stiffer pedal. Once I went boosted I swapped it out, and boy do I miss it.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Gram Lights addict

Indeed exedy oem replacement and stage 1 are two different animals. I had the stage 1 in my SC 4th gen and it held over up very well.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM

nice... well of the exedy satge 1 is cheaper than the act i might consider doing the combo set up... on the cattman y-pipe. can someone point me to that group deal, i've searched and i dont see any recent one, or at least to how i could contact brian catts? i'm really looking to get one sooon. thanks fellas.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Gram Lights addict

his contact info is listed under his username
Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...h-5th-gen.html

Just add your name to the list on page 3 and call Brian so he can get your info.

Brian Catts, Cattman Performance
800.759.9920 or 520.575.6195

Last edited by mista0406; 08-15-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:00 PM

thanks again guys...

so i looked up the exedy clutches and i'm seriously considering going this route seein as to how it almost adds up the same with a findanza flywheel as to an ACT alone... but just wondering if those of you have driven a max with an exedy stage 1 ever driven one with an ACT clutch? how'd do they compare... I loved the stiff pedal and the hard engagement so much and I'm just wondering if the exedy stage 1 is anything close? I liked knowing that no one in family would never ask me to drive my car cause they couldnt drive it even if they wanted to lol! Does anyone know about the Exedy stage 2? Even that one is cheaper than an ACT stage 1 but it looks to be a 3 puck clutch and I'm just wondering if those are too too hard.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mista0406
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...h-5th-gen.html

Just add your name to the list on page 3 and call Brian so he can get your info.

Brian Catts, Cattman Performance
800.759.9920 or 520.575.6195
thank you sir!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Boosted Panda

thanks again guys...

so i looked up the exedy clutches and i'm seriously considering going this route seein as to how it almost adds up the same with a findanza flywheel as to an ACT alone... but just wondering if those of you have driven a max with an exedy stage 1 ever driven one with an ACT clutch? how'd do they compare... I loved the stiff pedal and the hard engagement so much and I'm just wondering if the exedy stage 1 is anything close? I liked knowing that no one in family would never ask me to drive my car cause they couldnt drive it even if they wanted to lol! Does anyone know about the Exedy stage 2? Even that one is cheaper than an ACT stage 1 but it looks to be a 3 puck clutch and I'm just wondering if those are too too hard.
I just bought an ACT to replace my Clutchnet whcih will be in by next weekend hopefully.
But honestly, with the amount of TQ you will be making Stage 1 is fine, anything above is overkill and not needed.
Im pretty sure Exedys's Stage II will still be less agressive then an ACT, based on what Ive heard from others.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
I just bought an ACT to replace my Clutchnet whcih will be in by next weekend hopefully.
But honestly, with the amount of TQ you will be making Stage 1 is fine, anything above is overkill and not needed.
Im pretty sure Exedys's Stage II will still be less agressive then an ACT, based on what Ive heard from others.
nice... so are you going to run the ACT with a light weight flywheel? Im just makin these last minute decisions but I dont want to regret it later... I have experience with an ACT before and loved it. I just hear that the clamping force from the ACT combined with the quicker spin of the light weight flywheel will throw you off at launch... Where are you getting your work done? or are you installing it your self?

Last edited by enomik-1; 08-15-2011 at 07:37 PM.