General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Using Buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:46 PM

Using Buffer?

Hey everyone. I wanted to get in a good waxing if possible before winter snow really hits hard here. For christmas I got a buffer. It is not all that impressive just a regular one that has like a 10 inch pad and spins around 3500 rpm (generally sold with turtle wax included). I have seen some people say to be carefull because they can leave burns etc in your paint.

I am looking for people who use buffers on thier car and what they think or your impressions on the best way to use it etc. I would mostly love it if it just covered the big areas for me like hood, trunk, doors etc. And I could get the closer stuff by hand.

Anyone got opinions on this?

SuDZ
Old 12-31-2001, 12:51 PM

Re: Using Buffer?

Originally posted by SuDZ
I am looking for people who use buffers on thier car and what they think or your impressions on the best way to sue it etc.
I don't know if it's possible to sue a buffer, but with a good lawyer, anything's possible. j/k.

sue -> use
Old 12-31-2001, 12:56 PM

Re: Re: Using Buffer?

Originally posted by Gamezilla

I don't know if it's possible to sue a buffer, but with a good lawyer, anything's possible. j/k.

sue -> use
Ahh the dreaded type-o. It is gona gain. For now.

SuDZ
Old 12-31-2001, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Using Buffer?

Ahh the dreaded type-o. It is gona gain. For now.

SuDZ
At least your last post doesn't have any typos.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Using Buffer?

Originally posted by Gamezilla

At least your last post doesn't have any typos.
I double checked.

SuDZ
Old 12-31-2001, 01:30 PM

if u use that buffer be REALLY careful. I had a buffer which i used on my black 92 with meguiars polish and it turned out HORRIBLE...swirls and scratches galore. I got most of them out by redoing the Meguiars 3 step pocess by hand but not all of the marks
Old 12-31-2001, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190
if u use that buffer be REALLY careful. I had a buffer which i used on my black 92 with meguiars polish and it turned out HORRIBLE...swirls and scratches galore. I got most of them out by redoing the Meguiars 3 step pocess by hand but not all of the marks
What do you think caused it to go wrong?

SuDZ
Old 12-31-2001, 03:04 PM

Actually I've heard of a lot of problems with buffin a car for the first time. One of my dad's friends has a buffer that he was willing to lend to me a while back. I turned it down cause I didn't want to run the risk of making my car look any worse than it already is.

You have to let the buffer glide on their, and you can't work on the same spot for too long. You're putting a lot more pressure than you think you are when you start to push on it too hard. I bet there's a how-to on the net somewhere. Just gotta search.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:52 PM

Re: Using Buffer?

Hey everyone. I wanted to get in a good waxing if possible before winter snow really hits hard here. For christmas I got a buffer. It is not all that impressive just a regular one that has like a 10 inch pad and spins around 3500 rpm (generally sold with turtle wax included). I have seen some people say to be carefull because they can leave burns etc in your paint.

I am looking for people who use buffers on thier car and what they think or your impressions on the best way to use it etc. I would mostly love it if it just covered the big areas for me like hood, trunk, doors etc. And I could get the closer stuff by hand.

Anyone got opinions on this?

SuDZ
Did you get a rotary or an orbital buffer? Usually, most of the horror stories are associated with rotary buffers because people apply to much pressure and stay in one spot for a long time, thus burning holes into their paint. With orbitals it is less likely b/c of the random action of the buffer.