General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone "buff" their cars (random-orbital buffer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 11:17 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Anyone "buff" their cars (random-orbital buffer)

I've been reading about using a buffer. There are two types of buffer typically used in auto applications. There's the random-orbital buffer and then a high-rpm buffer. The random-orbital is suppose to be very safe and easy to use. The high-rpm buffer requires training and can damage the paint if used incorrectly. Both of these kinds of buffers produce a much better shine than anything you could ever do manually. The high-rpm buffer produces the best shine. I'm actually considering a random-orbital buffer because of the better shine, quicker application, and ease of use. Obviously you must be careful when using a buffer, but everything I have read says little can go wrong as long as you use common sense, keep the thing moving, and keep the pad clean.

Have any of you used one of these?

Dave
Old 10-23-2001, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 9" random orbit buffer, its a walmart special. It works great. Just get allot of terry cloth pads for removal and you'll be set. I use one foam pad to apply wax and three terry cloth pads, front and back, to remove wax. I dont like to let the terry cloth become too clogged because it will stop removing the wax easily and then you apply more pressure wich leads to swirl marks. It really helps when you do a clean, polish, and wax job. It can be a PIA changing over from the aplication pad to the removal pad, but it is still much easier than doing it all by hand. For the full three step procedure I use one foam pad, two polishing pads (like terry cloth but softer), nine terry cloth pads.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Anyone "buff" their cars (random-orbital buffer)

I have one. It was about $40 from Walmart and I think is either 5" or 6" in diameter. I much prefer this to the mondo 8-10". It has the major benefit of being able to cover a large area over a short period of time with nice uniform coverage. In theory, it will also decrease the amount of wax applied because of it's uniform spread. For most waxes that leave a white powder over rubber/plastic trim and edges, you still have to do these areas by hand. Most recommend having one clean terry-cloth bonnet to apply the wax, and another clean dry bonnet to take it off. Any residual can be buffed off by hand. I also know they have soft wool bonnets, but I've never used one to buff the shine even more. Makes a great gift if you know someone who likes cars or if family asks you what you want for Xmas or what-have-you.

The heavy duty random orbit polishers are mainly for paint finishing and repair. Not only that, but the good ones cost $180+ and you definitely should be trained to use it. When doing your own paint jobs, there is no way you can get a shiny polished luster without one though. As I have never seen anyone do a decent DIY autobody/paint repair job, I recommend anyone thinking about it to just forget it. Let the pro's do it.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I have a 9" random orbit buffer, its a walmart special. It works great. Just get allot of terry cloth pads for removal and you'll be set. I use one foam pad to apply wax and three terry cloth pads, front and back, to remove wax. I dont like to let the terry cloth become too clogged because it will stop removing the wax easily and then you apply more pressure wich leads to swirl marks. It really helps when you do a clean, polish, and wax job. It can be a PIA changing over from the aplication pad to the removal pad, but it is still much easier than doing it all by hand. For the full three step procedure I use one foam pad, two polishing pads (like terry cloth but softer), nine terry cloth pads.
tp
Old 10-23-2001, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by sx7r

tp
i heard matt is a good oral buffer
Old 10-23-2001, 01:10 PM

Re: Anyone "buff" their cars (random-orbital buffer)

yup... i have an orbital buffer too... i LOVE it... the first time i 'buffed' out the car it was amazing... ZERO swirlmarks... and on a black car you'll definitely see the vast improvement over a hand-wax... like mardigrasmax, i too have a 9" buffer... mine is "Waxmaster" brand... i think it was about 80bucks online... but i've been using it for 2yrs, and it has paid for itself many times fold IMHO as i've hooked up some of my friends with a good wax before the winter months as well as the MANY times that i've done my cars... I also use just one foam pad for application, and most of the time three terry bonnets to take the wax off, plus a polishing pad or two..... i found that in the time that it would normally would have taken you to apply one coat by hand, you could easily do two w/the buffer... the only way that i found that you could hurt your paint, would be to apply excessive pressure when you apply/buff the wax... but that is EASILY avoided... and i emphasize EASILY.... anyways... a very good investment by my standards... (especially when detail shops charge 50+ a pop for a "buff")

Old 10-23-2001, 03:15 PM

I DON'T buff my car

Personally, I would never use a machine on my car. For some people, it works great and that's fine. I personally do not like swirl marks, and I don't have any after almost 2 years of owning my car. I only wax in a linear motion, never in a circular motion. No matter what you say, a machine WILL leave swirl marks, maybe very light ones but they are still there. One look at my car in the bright sun will make you a believer in my theory!
Old 10-23-2001, 04:14 PM

Well, I was a detailer for 2 1/2 years. I've been trained to use both the random orbit polisher and the high- speed buffer. The orbital is completely safe to use for non- professionals. The high- speed one requires training. I usually use the orbital to apply wax and polishes. Then I buff it off by hand.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:37 PM

I have both kinds of buffers . The high speed one is sick! I got in from my grandpa when he past away a few months ago. I played around with the thing a little bit and it almost took my finder off . No way in hell would I put that thing near my car. The low speed buffer works good, the only thing that ****es me off about it is the cord always comes unplugged or rubs on my car.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:51 PM

Good tip: Tie the cord around the handle, and sling it over your shoulder. Cord problems are gone.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:50 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i borrowed a random orbit once and put swirls in my car. i thought i was doing everything correctly too.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
i borrowed a random orbit once and put swirls in my car. i thought i was doing everything correctly too.
Maybe the pad you were using was old? Or maybe you pressed down to hard?

NightRider, thanks for the tip, I usually sling it over my shoulder but I have never thought about tieing the cord around the handle.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
i heard matt is a good oral buffer
Old 10-23-2001, 08:25 PM

The last time I waxed my car, which was about a month ago, I used a random orbital buffer to take the wax off. It made life much easier, and brought out a pretty good shine too.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Thanks everyone. I know what I'm getting this weekend

Dave
Old 10-23-2001, 09:56 PM

Practice on the wife or GF car first .... fisrt time or two you will more than likely cause swirls.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:06 AM

Best way to eliminate SWIRL MARKS

Don't get them in the first place!

'Nuff said!
Old 10-24-2001, 06:40 AM
OG and counting...

Pretty soon, I'll be ordering a Porter-Cable 7424 with the associated pads.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:45 AM

I had a random-orbital buffer for a few days, and I returned it. Not only did it give me swirl marks, it get's wax stuck in places that you don't want it...and you can only use it for the large basically flat surfaces of your car ie: hood, roof, part of doors. Now I use the high end zymol japon wax that is to be applied and removed by hand, and I've never been happier. No more swirls and the wax is a snap to apply and remove....not white "wax dust" either.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:42 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ha!!! I bought a random-orbital buffer today. I polished and waxed my car in 2 hours and the shine and gloss is flat out INCREDIBLE!!! I never thought my 96 could look so good. NO swirl marks either and I've got a black Maxima. Honestly, I don't see how you get swirl marks unless you use a lot of pressure or unclean pads.

Dave
Old 10-24-2001, 08:15 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I got the $200 Porter-Cable that Meguiar's sells. Griot's garage sells the same one for about the same price. I had a $60 Sear's one before but it used terry cloth slip ons. I hated it. You would have to apply it with hand then buff it out with the buffer. You couldn't remove enough surface material to get rid of the swirl marks. Buffing is like fine sanding the surface. It's only way to really get rid of swirl marks. You could fill the swirl marks with a glaze, but it washes off after few car washes. With Porter-cable, it uses velcro foam pads. You apply the clear/polish/wax with the buffer and then wipe it clean with regular terry cloth. The Porter-Cable has different speeds so you can speed it up to remove enough material. Use the correct compound is the key. I like 3M products.

Old 10-24-2001, 08:34 PM

Yippeee .. I've got an orbital buffer.

I actually bought it right after I got my Max 3+ months ago.

Glad I got it, cost me about $20+ from Walmart, and I swear no swirl marks on my Max. Doesn't take a genius to operate it, and my hand doesn't ache except for the minor Parkinson-like symptoms when buffing (vibration!!!).

I get the regular Johnson Kit Caranuba Wax (bottle, not can) and use the orbital to wax it in. Then, I use regular terry cloths to wipe the wax residue off by hand.

Good investment if you love your car. Also, if you've got a white or light colored car and notice stubborn black spots on your paint especially the doors, fender and quarter panel, orbital buffer will come in handy.

Check out this post for more info on the black spots:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=58226

My 0.02
Old 10-24-2001, 09:47 PM

I use a DeWalt variable speed 2-hand buffer. It's not difficult once you learn how to not burn the compound into the finish The shine that the professional buffers is sooooooooooo much better than those cheapo orbital buffers. You'd do a better job by hand than with an orbital.

I use the DeWalt for rubbing compound and polish. I do the wax by hand to avoid the swirls. 3M detailing products for me!
Old 10-25-2001, 06:35 AM

Tony

I've just found it for $129.. I still use hand polish and wax from Griot's..

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I got the $200 Porter-Cable that Meguiar's sells. Griot's garage sells the same one for about the same price. I had a $60 Sear's one before but it used terry cloth slip ons. I hated it. You would have to apply it with hand then buff it out with the buffer. You couldn't remove enough surface material to get rid of the swirl marks. Buffing is like fine sanding the surface. It's only way to really get rid of swirl marks. You could fill the swirl marks with a glaze, but it washes off after few car washes. With Porter-cable, it uses velcro foam pads. You apply the clear/polish/wax with the buffer and then wipe it clean with regular terry cloth. The Porter-Cable has different speeds so you can speed it up to remove enough material. Use the correct compound is the key. I like 3M products.

Old 10-25-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: Tony

I bought the kit directly from Meguiar. It came with the buffer and bunch of Meguiar's product. Where did you find it for $129?

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
I've just found it for $129.. I still use hand polish and wax from Griot's..

Old 10-25-2001, 08:05 AM

Re: Re: Tony

I did a search online and you can get the buffer itself to ~$130. The Meguiar kit came with a video, polish, wax, pads and bunch of other products. I guess it worth the extra $70.

I bought the kit directly from Meguiar. It came with the buffer and bunch of Meguiar's product. Where did you find it for $129?

Old 10-25-2001, 09:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Tony

I did a search online and you can get the buffer itself to ~$130.
What? So you're keeping the source to yourself? Come on man... spill the beans!
Old 10-25-2001, 10:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tony

http://www.overture.com/d/search/p/g...7424&Go=Search

Originally posted by Mishmosh

What? So you're keeping the source to yourself? Come on man... spill the beans!
Old 10-25-2001, 10:58 AM

Okay, the high speed buffers are a realllllly bad idea. The low speed is...okay...but, as someone mentioned, they make a MESS. Wax everywhere, and I still can't get the wax out from the high speed that my evil ex-BF used that ruined my car.

Important to note is WHAT KIND OF WAX TO USE WITH THE BUFFER, if you INSIST on still using one..........make sure you use something appropriate for your car color.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Lime
Okay, the high speed buffers are a realllllly bad idea.
only bad for those who don't have experience with them.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tony

I already have polish and wax.. All I need are the pads..

Do you use it to apply or remove the polish? Or are you using it to apply or remove your wax? Or all of the above?

I did a search online and you can get the buffer itself to ~$130. The Meguiar kit came with a video, polish, wax, pads and bunch of other products. I guess it worth the extra $70.

Old 10-25-2001, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tony

I use the buffer to apply both and remove both with regular cotton towels.

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
I already have polish and wax.. All I need are the pads..

Do you use it to apply or remove the polish? Or are you using it to apply or remove your wax? Or all of the above?