General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 10:06 PM
Honda Convert!

Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit

Im working on a turbo kit as we speak.
Two stages:
Stage 1-
Custom Manderal Bent Manafold
T3/T4 Turbo
All Piping
All Mounting Hardware
Turbo Timer
Super AFC
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Lager Injectors
Custom Fuel Rail ( still thinking about this one)
Waste Gate
Stage 2-
All of the above
8.5:1 compression pistons from JE
Also a down pipe will be included which will end up right where the stock y-pipe would end so no exhaust mods will be needed from cat back unless you have stock exhaust then i suggest a min of 2.5 if not 3inch

With the stage two you will be able to put up to 20 psi to the motor, ive spoke with je they said our botom ends will hold up to 25 safely with 8.5:1 pistons also this helps with detonation at high pressure and rpms. Not sure on price yet but some where in the $2000 range for stage 1 and 3000$ for stage 2. If anyone is interested in just the pistons for the SC max let me know there 790 a set with rings but i think if i tell them more people are interested they might cut us a break.

Bruce
chessieone@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2001, 10:09 PM

I saw your post about the intake for the 5th gens good job, yes we need a turbo kit, even though someone else was going to do the same operation, just make one also so that we can have something to choose from
Old 12-31-2001, 10:16 PM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by gtr_rider
I saw your post about the intake for the 5th gens good job, yes we need a turbo kit, even though someone else was going to do the same operation, just make one also so that we can have something to choose from
Not a prob these are going to be only for fourth gens for the time being due to the fact that i dont know anyone with a 5th or 3rd gen that wants to loan me there headers

Bruce
Old 12-31-2001, 10:20 PM

No prob for me go right ahead, that should be fun, how much do you think the HP outcome would be and the PSI this thing should run at? Also would this be just a bolt on kit or a 48hour long install like another brand does *cough*stealin*cough*
Old 12-31-2001, 10:29 PM

If you could guarantee a VE turbo kit I or probably
most 3rd gen owners would find a way to get you a set of manifolds
Old 12-31-2001, 10:37 PM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by PATRICK94SE
If you could guarantee a VE turbo kit I or probably
most 3rd gen owners would find a way to get you a set of manifolds
If you could guarantee me a set of manifolds of a ve then everything else is the same so then yes i could guarentee you a turbo kit for third gens too.

Bruce
Old 12-31-2001, 10:51 PM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by gtr_rider
No prob for me go right ahead, that should be fun, how much do you think the HP outcome would be and the PSI this thing should run at? Also would this be just a bolt on kit or a 48hour long install like another brand does *cough*stealin*cough*
No no its going to be a 4 to 8 hour job depending on mechanical inclanation, but for hp #'s not real sure yet but heres what im expecting for stage 1 and 2

Stage 1: Depends on other mods
5 psi - 235-250
10 psi - 245-260
15 psi - 260-290

Stage 2:
5 psi - 235-255
10 psi - 250-270
15 psi - 275-315
20 psi - 325-370

See with turbo exhaust comes in to play, so the #'s could be drastically different.

Bruce
Old 12-31-2001, 11:07 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You are in the DC metro area right?

What shop is building the kit?
Old 12-31-2001, 11:08 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Re: Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit

Originally posted by papasmurf
Im working on a turbo kit as we speak.
Two stages:
Stage 1-
Custom Manderal Bent Manafold
T3/T4 Turbo
All Piping
All Mounting Hardware
Turbo Timer
Super AFC
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Lager Injectors
Custom Fuel Rail ( still thinking about this one)
Waste Gate
Stage 2-
All of the above
8.5:1 compression pistons from JE

With the stage two you will be able to put up to 20 psi to the motor, ive spoke with je they said our botom ends will hold up to 25 safely with 8.5:1 pistons also this helps with detonation at high pressure and rpms. Not sure on price yet but some where in the $2000 range for stage 1 and 3000$ for stage 2. If anyone is interested in just the pistons for the SC max let me know there 790 a set with rings but i think if i tell them more people are interested they might cut us a break.

Bruce
chessieone@yahoo.com
wow, 2k or 3k for a turbo kit? sounds like hell of a deal. does that include installation? parts alone would cost about that much if not more so hop on this deal if its really true. will automatic kits be same as manual kits? i bet the auto will be harder and more expensive to do

injectors $600+
AFC $310
Turbo $400+
wastegate $150+
fuel press regulator $120+
turbo timer $70+
fuel pump $120+
turbo manifold $$$? dont know..and its not needed
thats like 2k already. doesnt leave much room for intercooler, piping, oil lines, and other misc stuff that might be needed. i bet installtion would take longer then the Stillen supercharger too.
i doubt the motor will hold up to 20psi with only pistons. the rods or head gasket will prolly give way. Then the cooling system goes byebye. well thats enough negativity on this for today...later, happy new year.
Old 12-31-2001, 11:17 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: Re: Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit

Originally posted by Turbo95Max

wow, 2k or 3k for a turbo kit? sounds like hell of a deal. does that include installation? parts alone would cost about that much if not more so hop on this deal if its really true. will automatic kits be same as manual kits? i bet the auto will be harder and more expensive to do

injectors $600+
AFC $310
Turbo $400+
wastegate $150+
fuel press regulator $120+
turbo timer $70+
fuel pump $120+
turbo manifold $$$? dont know..and its not needed
thats like 2k already. doesnt leave much room for intercooler, piping, oil lines, and other misc stuff that might be needed. i bet installtion would take longer then the Stillen supercharger too.
i doubt the motor will hold up to 20psi with only pistons. the rods or head gasket will prolly give way. Then the cooling system goes byebye. well thats enough negativity on this for today...later, happy new year.
Well where do we start, man and auto kits will be about the same im not anticipating any diff in price. Second i have a wholesalers/resalers licence so i get all those things at cost which are way cheaper. also im going to sell the kit to you all for what it cost to make im not in it for the money im in it for the hp's. As for intercooler your on your own just like the Stillen SC thats on you, Install time should be 8-12 hrs depending on mechanical inclanation, but im not real sure yet. As for the motor i talked with the guys from je they said 20 psi no prob with stock internals and upraded pistons, figure your going to put in new gasket anyways so. They said they have a 300z twin tird with 26 psi with only pistons and stock internals and its puching 500 hp with other mods. And 300z and our cars share same internals. So any other questions

Bruce
Old 12-31-2001, 11:19 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: You are in the DC metro area right?

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
What shop is building the kit?
yeah im in the dc metro area
Me and a couple of mechanics from various shops along with J/P performance who is doing the maifold
Old 12-31-2001, 11:34 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit

Well where do we start, man and auto kits will be about the same im not anticipating any diff in price. Second i have a wholesalers/resalers licence so i get all those things at cost which are way cheaper. also im going to sell the kit to you all for what it cost to make im not in it for the money im in it for the hp's. As for intercooler your on your own just like the Stillen SC thats on you, Install time should be 8-12 hrs depending on mechanical inclanation, but im not real sure yet. As for the motor i talked with the guys from je they said 20 psi no prob with stock internals and upraded pistons, figure your going to put in new gasket anyways so. They said they have a 300z twin tird with 26 psi with only pistons and stock internals and its puching 500 hp with other mods. And 300z and our cars share same internals. So any other questions

Bruce
the 3z motor IS NOT the same as a Max motor. A Z motor is turbo stock from the factory, it can handle power, the fuel system is deisgned for more power, the oil system, cooling system, and internals are made for turbo. the Max isnt. The internals arent AS strong as the Z ones. So comparing a 500hp Z to a Max doesnt mean anything.
When you boost on a blower you dont get detonation as easy as with a turbo. If your selling a kit for more then 10psi with no intercooler your gonna have probs. Even alot of these parts at cost itll cost more then 2k. My turbo build cost more then 4k in parts alone at COST. where you gonna tap the oil feed and return lines? Where will the turbo be mounted? do you have to hack any of the fans off or not? its a bit more complicated then you think. But youll figure that out later..

if you do get custom fuel rail and head gasket done. Id be interested in that cause i couldnt get any companies to make that for me. thanks
Old 12-31-2001, 11:40 PM
Honda Convert!

These #'s and parts list is all preliminary

hey i know what your saying there is still alot of bugs to be worked out but the intercoller thing is going to come in later we have to figure out exactly how this thing is going to run first but hey i under stand what your saying just work with me ok, some of the things i said are repeted from the guys at je so dont jump down my throat for there stupidity.

Bruce
Old 01-01-2002, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hope this works out, but I have seen several threads in the past where people had plans for a cheap turbo/super charger and they never came through. I know theroretically (sp?) how a turbo works, but very little about how it fits into a car, so a few questions.

Would this replace the stock (or aftermarket) y-pipe?

Would this replace the intake (ie CAI, Pop charger, etc)?

If yes to the above that's about $500 in other mods you would not have to do, so at ~$2000 it's only $1500 over Ypipe/intake.

Also, isn't access to the rear manifold a major problem with a turbo kit?

What would be the difference in the psi/HP ratings of the stage one kit (cost/ reliability/ MPG/ noise/ something else)?

Would this have a major effect on reliability, miledge, or anything else for a daily driver?

I hope this does work out, if it does and the price is about $2000 I will definatly consider it, particularlly since I have not bought a y-pipe or intake yet.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:51 AM

If A 10 psi/ 250 (flywheel) HP kit can be made for ~$2000 I would still be interested. I don't want the ultimate Max, but having the fastest Max in town would be cool (except maybe those damn 3.5s). But I would only be interested if it was reliable, I would not buy it until it had been proven. While I would love to see this I doubt it will happen, good luck.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:08 AM

It seems my fellow members have already pointed out a majority of the finer points. I don't think I'll even get started..

Old 01-01-2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

No Aftermarket part is reliable as OE. If you want to wait one year for it to be proved...yo its ok....if you wanna be the reliability factor aka the G-Pig...yo its ok.
I am willing to make a small sacrifice in reliability for performance, for the most part it has to be that way. If the $2000 turbo kit died that would suck, but I would be willing to take a chance with it (as long as it was a small one). But if it there was any chance that it would take my motor with it, that would be unacceptable.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:18 AM

Start screwing w/ a motor w/ forced induction...be prepared to make a motor sacrifice in a worst-case-scenario.
Then this turbo is not for you...
can somebody just make an insane all motor setup just like our VQ block was originally designed for? a nice high revving V6 with ***** is just what is needed to hang with the likes of the M3 and S2k engines. no need to work around the tight engine bay and V configuration with piping and turbos. i just want all motor 13s on the max.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:04 AM

Start screwing w/ a motor w/ forced induction...be prepared to make a motor sacrifice in a worst-case-scenario.
Then this turbo is not for you...
I guess Forced Induction is not for me then , I am even nervous about a CAI, but after much reasearch on this board (did you know there are over 700 threads with 'CAI' in them ) I think I will get one. I thought if boost/HP gain were kept low than risk to engine would be very small, it sounds like it is impossible to make a reliable turbo for $2000 anyway. Maybe the 4th gen varible intake manifold will work out.
Old 01-01-2002, 01:07 PM
dko
duck and cover

I think it makes more sense to work on the variable intake first. since it is nissan OE it should not have a negative effect on mileage or reliability. with the variable one and bolt-on's you would be looking at close to a 50-60 hp increase for about half the price of a s/c and very few reliability or driveability problems.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

I could have sworn this thread "who is interested in a turbo kit"? for some reason.. the title must have changed to .. "how do you make a turbo kit and can i do it for under 3k"?

no one asked for all your 2 cents..

just fu@king answer yes or no.. no one asked you for a fu@cking essay
Old 01-01-2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

Old 01-01-2002, 02:31 PM
dko
duck and cover

I could have sworn this thread "who is interested in a turbo kit"? for some reason.. the title must have changed to .. "how do you make a turbo kit and can i do it for under 3k"?

no one asked for all your 2 cents..

if he was looking for yes or no it should have been a poll. How 'bout I start a thread like this "Who wants a free V1 installed".

obviously a whole bunch of people are interested in getting a turbo kit. it just so happens that some people have tried it already and they are sharing their concerns and where their projects ran into trouble.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Administrator

no one asked them for their opinions.. and if he did post a poll.. you think the same comments wouldn't be in the thread?

Originally posted by dko

if he was looking for yes or no it should have been a poll. How 'bout I start a thread like this "Who wants a free V1 installed".

obviously a whole bunch of people are interested in getting a turbo kit. it just so happens that some people have tried it already and they are sharing their concerns and where their projects ran into trouble.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:39 PM
dko
duck and cover

no one asked them for their opinions.. and if he did post a poll.. you think the same comments wouldn't be in the thread?

well **** i guess nothing ever happens on the .org without people bumping egos
Old 01-01-2002, 06:38 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I have 2 questions

I love the idea of turbocharging my Maxi-pad. I have 2 questions for you.

1)I heard automatics are better for turbo's than 5spds off the line. (Brake boosting). How does this work ?

2)Turbo lag = No fun. Will your kit have an electronic motor power assist to spool up the turbine prior to the exhaust spooling it up ? That way the lag is like eliminated, and we could get low end power as well ?
Old 01-01-2002, 07:36 PM

Or Better Yet...

Originally posted by Craig Mack

2)Turbo lag = No fun. Will your kit have an electronic motor power assist to spool up the turbine prior to the exhaust spooling it up ? That way the lag is like eliminated, and we could get low end power as well ?
Why not make a sequential twin turbo? Like the MKIV Supras had? That way there is no lag and mad power throughout the whole powerband?
-Cyrus
Old 01-01-2002, 07:55 PM

Re: Or Better Yet...

Originally posted by Vyrus

Why not make a sequential twin turbo? Like the MKIV Supras had? That way there is no lag and mad power throughout the whole powerband?
-Cyrus
Well Cyrus becuase the money spent on that little toy would defeat the whole purpose of getting anything but a supra to begin with .
Old 01-01-2002, 08:01 PM

Not quite, but I get the point...

Well Cyrus becuase the money spent on that little toy would defeat the whole purpose of getting anything but a supra to begin with .
It wouldn't cost that much Craig, probably $10k-$12k , but you would have MAD power (probably as much if not MORE than the Supra). Not to mention the fact that you would be a TWIN-TURBO Maxima. Let's see, what other cars are twin-turbos...300ZX, RX-7, Supra, S4...get my drift?
-Cyrus
Old 01-01-2002, 08:06 PM

Re: Not quite, but I get the point...

Originally posted by Vyrus

It wouldn't cost that much Craig, probably $10k-$12k , but you would have MAD power (probably as much if not MORE than the Supra). Not to mention the fact that you would be a TWIN-TURBO Maxima. Let's see, what other cars are twin-turbos...300ZX, RX-7, Supra, S4...get my drift?
-Cyrus
I am a poor @ss youngin' like jOo who is fortunate enough to even be driving a car like a 4th Gen. Maxima. Get my drift ?
Old 01-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

If you could guarantee me a set of manifolds of a ve then everything else is the same so then yes i could guarentee you a turbo kit for third gens too.
Papasmurf, I have a 3rd gen and I'm in the MD/DC area, never had a chance to meet you though cause I've been working so much lately I missed the meets all the time....maybe I could help!
Old 01-01-2002, 08:25 PM

Re: Re: Not quite, but I get the point...

I am a poor @ss youngin' like jOo who is fortunate enough to even be driving a car like a 4th Gen. Maxima. Get my drift ?
So true! I'm so glad I don't have a Civic or some piece of trash like that - I couldn't even think about twin-turbocharging that 4-banger pos!
-Cyrus
Old 01-01-2002, 08:32 PM

Re: I have 2 questions

Umm.. yeah.. LOL
Old 01-01-2002, 08:40 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: I have 2 questions

Originally posted by Maximamike
Umm.. yeah.. LOL
I was gonna say the same thing...
Old 01-01-2002, 08:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah I said what the hell!? lol

I think 1/2 of Papasmurf's plans went F&F since he found out the VQ is diff than the VGDETT.

Umm.. yeah.. LOL
Old 01-01-2002, 08:41 PM

You still owe me a 10 second car. LOL
Old 01-01-2002, 08:44 PM

BTW, need some manifold ideas?

http://members.aol.com/ideapage/poston/86exhaust.GIF

I've got tons of other **** on this too..
Old 01-01-2002, 08:45 PM

Umm.. yeah.. LOL
And I was supposed to know this how ?
Old 01-01-2002, 08:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Really? Anything I can use? hehe

BTW, need some manifold ideas?

http://members.aol.com/ideapage/poston/86exhaust.GIF

I've got tons of other **** on this too..
Old 01-01-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: I have 2 questions

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Yeah I said what the hell!? lol

I think 1/2 of Papasmurf's plans went F&F since he found out the VQ is diff than the VGDETT.

Quick Reply: Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit