General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WHEN IS THE NEW GEN MAXIMA SUPPOSE TO COME OUT AND WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE ON IT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM

WHEN IS THE NEW GEN MAXIMA SUPPOSE TO COME OUT AND WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE ON IT?

How often does nissan come out with a new generation of maxima's?The 6thgen was from 04-08,the 7thgen was from 09 up so i'm assuming every 4years,so they might just be working on it as we speak.

These forum was created for topics,discussions,issues and what ever car related things there is.My question is seeing that every generation comes with some type of fault,issue or glitch,what would you like to see in the next generation of maxima's??

I personally would like the see a coupe because they never made one.More power,and bring back the 6spd.Let me know what you all think.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 PM

its been discussed a million times, most likely FWD and theyre doing away with automatics. 2dr or RWD/AWD Maxima= G35/G37
Old 12-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Automatics?

Originally Posted by chrome91
its been discussed a million times, most likely FWD and theyre doing away with automatics. 2dr or RWD/AWD Maxima= G35/G37
I personally don't see them coming out with a true manual anymore.... The market for that is so niche that it won't be worth it to them to make it an option... It's the gay tiptronic or whatever it's called. Paddle shifting
Old 12-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Isn't that paddle shift crap like automatic anyway .I could never see myself buying one of those paddle shift cars. Just today I went into the stealership and saw a sexy black 370Z with it.

It looks good but I wouldn't get it. I personally would love to see the 6spd again. I don't car how much hp the car have give me it in manual
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxima 21
I personally don't see them coming out with a true manual anymore.... The market for that is so niche that it won't be worth it to them to make it an option... It's the gay tiptronic or whatever it's called. Paddle shifting
this happens all the time, times change so car options and mechanics have to change with the times. just like the carborator being replaced with fuel injection, HID's replace halogen bulb's, tape players being replaced by cd players. the list goes on.

it does suck that the manual transmission is slowly fading out though...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM

You guys do realize those are not TIPTRONIC transmissions, thats a VW/AUDI trans. Those new dual clutch autos and the autos with the "shifter" crap you guys speak of will outrun a 6spd. There's a reason all the high end cars have been using this new technology. You should do some research before you start bashing something innovative.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:16 PM

Rule of thumb for every model regardless of maker is usually every 4yrs... So in other words the "New Maxima" wont be out till 2013 as a 2014 MY.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
You guys do realize those are not TIPTRONIC transmissions, thats a VW/AUDI trans. Those new dual clutch autos and the autos with the "shifter" crap you guys speak of will outrun a 6spd. There's a reason all the high end cars have been using this new technology. You should do some research before you start bashing something innovative.
conventional automatics are technically faster than stickshifts, with automatics the torque converter and not having to release throttle while shifting beats a stickshift where you have to left off the throttle to shift. its not innovative, people today just dont want to bother with true stickshifts and dont want to learn.

CVT are crap though, and paddle shifters are meh. 3 pedals ftw
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM

conventional automatics are technically faster than stickshifts, with automatics the torque converter and not having to release throttle while shifting beats a stickshift where you have to left off the throttle to shift. its not innovative, people today just dont want to bother with true stickshifts and dont want to learn.

I hear that.I just fell in love with manual because you get that adrenalin rush when you shift and you know you're driving the car and not the car is driving you.

Nissan stop making manual car ,if that be the case this will be the last nissan I buy.I want a manual,I don't care if it has 100hp or 1000hp.I want to know that i'm responsible for everything the engine does.

There's no falling asleep from boredom when driving a stick
Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 PM

they had a reason, with 6th gen Maximas they couldnt get 6spds to sell and they just sat on the lot so they thought well just make automatics then. i wont go back to a automatic again ever though
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM

they had a reason, with 6th gen Maximas they couldnt get 6spds to sell and they just sat on the lot so they thought well just make automatics then. i wont go back to a automatic again ever though
I don't get that because every guy who has a maxima said they looked every where for the 6spd and couldn't find it.The 6spd is just too much fun to drive
Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I don't get that because every guy who has a maxima said they looked every where for the 6spd and couldn't find it.The 6spd is just too much fun to drive
I had a hard time finding one near me when I was looking. It's part of the reason I ended up buying my 6MT SER and I couldn't be happier. I HATE slush boxes and haven't owned one since 97. Driving roads like the Dragon would still be cool with a power robbing slush box but so much more fun with a MT. Say what you want about which is quicker but practically every proper sports car is still available with 3 pedals. If the government has its way we'll all be driving event less "fuel efficient" CVTs anyway.

I'd like to see the new Max go on a diet and lose some bulk. It's never going to happen thanks to the Altima but is another reason I bought my SER. One thing I'd like to see is an AWD option but fitting it in far enough under the G37x price tag makes that unlikely.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by DrewSER
I had a hard time finding one near me when I was looking. It's part of the reason I ended up buying my 6MT SER and I couldn't be happier. I HATE slush boxes and haven't owned one since 97. Driving roads like the Dragon would still be cool with a power robbing slush box but so much more fun with a MT. Say what you want about which is quicker but practically every proper sports car is still available with 3 pedals. If the government has its way we'll all be driving event less "fuel efficient" CVTs anyway.

I'd like to see the new Max go on a diet and lose some bulk. It's never going to happen thanks to the Altima but is another reason I bought my SER. One thing I'd like to see is an AWD option but fitting it in far enough under the G37x price tag makes that unlikely.
Totally agree man.I don't know why they would stop on the 6spd when there's people that looks for manual cars,like myself.I mean if every other car can make it and "option" to have it why just discontinue it?

Bring out a coupe for gawd sakes.It's doesn't matter what they come out with people will buy the cars.Nissan already made their name and they have loyal customers.Make it lighter with about 330plus hp to keep up with the Z and infiniti's and improve the damn transmissions.

I don't want to see my tranny going out at 100K
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 AM

It is innovative since ATs used to shift slow and ****ty and now shift quicker then a MT, have you every used paddle shifters? With one click you upshift quicker then you can hit the clutch on an MT and downshift even quicker then that.

Idk about the CVT, I have no experience with it. I haven't driven a 7th gen to know but the AT in the G37 is a monster. For ATs to come from being slow and sloppy to shifting amazingly fast and crisp is innovative.

Btw paddle shifts are just tools it doesn't define the trans itself, so saying paddle shifters is meh is like saying your steering wheel is meh.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 AM

You guys don't realize that Nissan makes the g37 so why would they try to make the Max into the g37? That would defeat the purpose.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM

i drove the 7th gen and honestly i didnt like it. the acceleration in it seemed a little bla to me. And i have a 4th gen. Modded but its still a 4th gen. I was expecting something epic and i was disappointed. I mean as the revs climbed it started to move but i wasnt impressed. it doesnt have that same take off that you would have with a 6spd. thats what its missing. and like guys have said that whole feel you get with a manual is something epic. As far as the whole paddle shifters go.... not the same as a shifter no matter what the benefits or "gains" are behind them.. its still an automatic. Ive owned an s4 6spd, my cousin had the tiptronic and downshifting in his car was an adventure because the car doesnt downshift the same as a stick, it downshifts when it feels is safe to. and i dont mean to save it from redlining, i mean just when it wants to... With that being said MT FTW!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM

It is innovative since ATs used to shift slow and ****ty and now shift quicker then a MT, have you every used paddle shifters? With one click you upshift quicker then you can hit the clutch on an MT and downshift even quicker then that.

Idk about the CVT, I have no experience with it. I haven't driven a 7th gen to know but the AT in the G37 is a monster. For ATs to come from being slow and sloppy to shifting amazingly fast and crisp is innovative.

Btw paddle shifts are just tools it doesn't define the trans itself, so saying paddle shifters is meh is like saying your steering wheel is meh.
There have been automatics since the 60's that would shift so quick and hard you'd hurt your neck. People still add shift kits to there automatics to get that "positive shift feel". The reason they shift slow is so they can feel smooth. Theres nothing innovative about any of the new automatic transmissions and they're still power robbing bastards. CVT is innovative but it still sucks when you want to "feel" the power. True paddle shift (sequential) transmissions are a hybrid of automatic and manuals since they have single or dual clutches. Let's not confuse transmissions here.

You guys don't realize that Nissan makes the g37 so why would they try to make the Max into the g37? That would defeat the purpose.
I addressed the G37 directly. Theres no reason why Nissan couldn't make both cars with some shared options and have the cost of refinement be the difference. My example was AWD. A perfect example of Nissan doing this was the 2002-03 Altima/Maxima.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by DrewSER
There have been automatics since the 60's that would shift so quick and hard you'd hurt your neck. People still add shift kits to there automatics to get that "positive shift feel". The reason they shift slow is so they can feel smooth. Theres nothing innovative about any of the new automatic transmissions and they're still power robbing bastards. CVT is innovative but it still sucks when you want to "feel" the power. True paddle shift (sequential) transmissions are a hybrid of automatic and manuals since they have single or dual clutches. Let's not confuse transmissions here.

I addressed the G37 directly. Theres no reason why Nissan couldn't make both cars with some shared options and have the cost of refinement be the difference. My example was AWD. A perfect example of Nissan doing this was the 2002-03 Altima/Maxima.
I'm not confusing transmissions and I know about shift kits, I installed the transgo one on my car, and have ridden in built ATs in muscle cars before so I know exactly what your talking about and agree on that point.

To me I see it innovative because the new quick shifting ATs have alot of new implemented technology, software wise, and they are mechanically much different then the basic AT from before. Its pretty innovative technology IMO but then again I'm no trans expert.

If you notice Nissans advertising the Maxima as the family alternative to the g37. Ever seen the commercial where the guy finds out his wifes having a baby and pulls on his g37 and it converts to a Maxima? Stuff like that lets you know the line that Nissan draws between both cars and the different crowds they feel the cars are for.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you notice Nissans advertising the Maxima as the family alternative to the g37. Ever seen the commercial where the guy finds out his wifes having a baby and pulls on his g37 and it converts to a Maxima? Stuff like that lets you know the line that Nissan draws between both cars and the different crowds they feel the cars are for.
2000_Maxima_King, do you really think Nissan would put a G37 in a Nissan commercial? It was either a 350z or 370z that he converts to a Maxima.

Just my .02
Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 PM

it was a 370z dude, NOT a g37.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by freakazoid112
2000_Maxima_King, do you really think Nissan would put a G37 in a Nissan commercial? It was either a 350z or 370z that he converts to a Maxima.

Just my .02
Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
it was a 370z dude, NOT a g37.
uppet: idiot moment you guys can smack me, I'm sorry that was a mistake but the 370z is the g37s counterpart so the same concept exists you guys get my drift
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Not really comparing the 350Z,infiniti,370Z or any other coupes. I just wish they had a maxima coupe. They probably will never make a coupe but i'm sure if the made a coupe it will be a top seller.

If Porche can raise the bar by creating their first ever 4dr why can't nissan do the same and create a 2dr to compete with the M3,audi's,dodge hemi and the others thats over 330 hp plus.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Not really comparing the 350Z,infiniti,370Z or any other coupes. I just wish they had a maxima coupe. They probably will never make a coupe but i'm sure if the made a coupe it will be a top seller.

If Porche can raise the bar by creating their first ever 4dr why can't nissan do the same and create a 2dr to compete with the M3,audi's,dodge hemi and the others thats over 330 hp plus.
I think because the have the Z for that.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM

I hope the Z don't replace the maxima's. I always wanted a Z but i'm slowly starting to loose faith in them especially when i'm seeing honda's shooling them on youtube.My boy has a 04 altima with bolt on mods,I call him the 350Z killer.

He does a little drag race and when he ask the Z's to line it up they laugh.The run him thinking it's in the bag but he always wins.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM

I remember seeing a thread about making a maxima coupe. Everyone said they shouldn't make it because a maxima IS - The 4 door sports car. I know people love coupes and seeing a 4 door may not be taken seriously but thats what so cool about maximas. You never expect their ****ing speed.

I guess it would just take away the novelty, if that means anything.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by TommyNtama
I remember seeing a thread about making a maxima coupe. Everyone said they shouldn't make it because a maxima IS - The 4 door sports car. I know people love coupes and seeing a 4 door may not be taken seriously but thats what so cool about maximas. You never expect their ****ing speed.

I guess it would just take away the novelty, if that means anything.
That's what they said with Porche,and they made a 4dr. I mean it's just like every other car, you make 4DR sedan for more day to day and the coupe for sport and weekend cruises
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Porche was different they only had a coupe. Nissan already has a coupe, they are not going to turn there number 1 sedan into a coupe, thats what they have the Z for. It won't take the maximas place. The Z and Max have always existed, Z=rwd coupe, max=fwd 4dsc. Once they turn one into another it would be pointless.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Porche was different they only had a coupe. Nissan already has a coupe, they are not going to turn there number 1 sedan into a coupe, thats what they have the Z for. It won't take the maximas place. The Z and Max have always existed, Z=rwd coupe, max=fwd 4dsc. Once they turn one into another it would be pointless.
I wouldn't say turn it into a coupe,simply make a coupe version with manual. This padel shift,auto tiptron just ain't doing it for me. If they stop make manual i'll stop buy nissans.

If my left foot and my right hand ain't busy while driving it,i'm not buying it. I guess this 6spd might be my last nissan
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM

i drove a 300C Hemi with the same principle, just not paddles. still meh, traditional motorsports= clutch pedal. between making no more manuals, too many electronics, CVT, etc new cars are a pain
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM

i drove a 300C Hemi with the same principle, just not paddles. still meh, traditional motorsports= clutch pedal. between making no more manuals, too many electronics, CVT, etc new cars are a pain
So you don't like technology and that's supposed to be a valid reason for why you think they are lacking. Idk why I'm wasting my time I'll just go tend to my cars, which are both AT. Bash away.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 PM

And this is why none of you guys work at a automaker giving ideas. Some of you guys are comparing the Maxima to segments its not even near. First of all why compare two cars from the same maker?

Making both cars the same defeats the purpose of having the other regardless if cost is cheaper in one, then guess what? Everyone is going to for the cheaper one and lost money making the expensive one.

Remember Maximas competition here... Camrys, Accords, Malibus, Mazda6, Avalons, etc... None in which comes AWD, RWD, 98.5% percent of them dont come V6 6spd hence why only auto maximas.

There is no point in making the maxima more powerful as it already has the most hp/tq in its class. Come on lets be realistic!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by esco115
And this is why none of you guys work at a automaker giving ideas. Some of you guys are comparing the Maxima to segments its not even near. First of all why compare two cars from the same maker?

Making both cars the same defeats the purpose of having the other regardless if cost is cheaper in one, then guess what? Everyone is going to for the cheaper one and lost money making the expensive one.

Remember Maximas competition here... Camrys, Accords, Malibus, Mazda6, Avalons, etc... None in which comes AWD, RWD, 98.5% percent of them dont come V6 6spd hence why only auto maximas.

There is no point in making the maxima more powerful as it already has the most hp/tq in its class. Come on lets be realistic!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Ya'll taking this thread way to serious man. The discussion is just talking about what you'd like to see in the next generation of maxima, and how it would be nice if the made a coupe version.

It's called raising the bar.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM

So you don't like technology and that's supposed to be a valid reason for why you think they are lacking. Idk why I'm wasting my time I'll just go tend to my cars, which are both AT. Bash away.
because paddle shifters are useless, why drive a paddleshift auto tranny which has more moving parts than a manual, cant take nearly the amount of abuse, and is more susceptible to heat damage vs just having to control one more pedal and get the benefits of a normal manual
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Paddle shifters are not useless at all, being able to up/downshift instantly with just a tap... and rev matching, less than one-tenth of a second shift times, 6 and 7 gear ratios. Sounds like innovation and extremely efficient transmissions to me.

As far as the next generation maxima goes, ide like to see a much sportier option than the one nissan has now with the 7th gens, like a dsg option. AWD would be cool but it probably wont happen. Also I hope they do away with those fugly headlights...
Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Half of the arguments here are just wrong.

New autos are great, consistent, fast, easy.almost No disadvantages unless Ur on a dyno.

Y would Nissan make an altima, altima coupe, maxima, and maxima coupe. Maximas trademark is 4dsc. Altima has no legacy as such. They got the market for people wanting something useless for everything but taking 2 people from a to b in a straightish line at a moderate but safe speed. Not everyone can handle a 300hp car with rwd, or want to deal with it.

On topic: new model gets a packaged deal. A few per dealer with a 6speed. Nismo edition.

Lighter chassis. Same ride quality. Slight increase in throttle feel and power. Less spaceship look, more sport sedan.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM

CVT isn't going anywhere and the manual transmission will slowly fade out of existence(gogo aftermarket conversion kits!) from a manufacturers point of view. You may be lucky if Nissan decides to offer a six speed threw a special type of program(like you would have special order the car) but get used to paddle shifters cause for the majority it is the future.

Idk what I'd like to see from maxima, 04 models+ just don't hold my interest, they look too much like everything else that is on the road. However the 7th gen did peak my interest with the styling cues of the headlights and grill but after the driving the car it felt very sluggish.

What I'd like to see is a AWD sport type Maxima, and I actually do think this is a worthwhile endeavor for Nissan to pursue. Reason being look at the G37 and the 370 z, both essentially the same cars scept the Z is more for enthusiast(stiffer suspension, reduced weight ect) while the G37 is more luxury based. Why can't their be a AWD maxima based after the infinity variant, with reduced weight, less restricted exhaust, stiffer suspension ect. Won't be as comfy as the G variant but won't be as expensive as the G either. The G will have to maintain a luxury class setting over the maxima but it really depends on how you market the car.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM

Ill just wait and find out....
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by esco115
So just because you think nobody else is doing it you shouldn't make a car better? Ridiculous! Never mind the fact that you left out the Legacy (only AWD) and the Taurus (option). The Accord even has a 4wd option in Japan and I'm sure everyone remembers the AWD Mazdaspeed 6.

Originally Posted by skweaky
New autos are great, consistent, fast, easy.almost No disadvantages unless Ur on a dyno.
I'm sorry but this is the dumbest statement I've read in a long time. So you're saying there's no disadvantage except for the tool that proves the disadvantage?! Speechless...

Originally Posted by Grimix
What I'd like to see is a AWD sport type Maxima, and I actually do think this is a worthwhile endeavor for Nissan to pursue. Reason being look at the G37 and the 370 z, both essentially the same cars scept the Z is more for enthusiast(stiffer suspension, reduced weight ect) while the G37 is more luxury based. Why can't their be a AWD maxima based after the infinity variant, with reduced weight, less restricted exhaust, stiffer suspension ect. Won't be as comfy as the G variant but won't be as expensive as the G either. The G will have to maintain a luxury class setting over the maxima but it really depends on how you market the car.
This is essentially what I've been saying. I find it funny that everybody automatically associates G37(X) with the coupe. I've been referring to the sedan variant because we're obviously talking about a 4 door car.

Side note; In an effort to stay on topic I'm going to lay off of skweaky's comments regarding the Altima.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:34 AM

I think replacing those DRL with the LED strips,adjustable supension for sport and comfort,weight reduction,lighter rims with black option,around the same hp to compete with the Z and the G37 and optional lip kit sport package and last an all wheel perfect launch like the GT-R. That would be insane.

They don't really come out with the sport package so everyone is turning to the aftermarket industry. Oh can't forget the 6spd

Quick Reply: WHEN IS THE NEW GEN MAXIMA SUPPOSE TO COME OUT AND WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE ON IT?