General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hmm, shall I install the Y myself or pay a greasy mechanic ? Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 11:16 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Hmm, shall I install the Y myself or pay a greasy mechanic ? Help please.

Well my Cattman Cold air intake should be here anyday, and I have my WSP Y sitting here in my room. The CAI definatally I am gonna do, but I have heard mixed opinions on installing the Y-Pipe. I have a very knowledgable friend (who walked me through and did almost all my suspension) who is willing if I get the tools.

Lift wise, will a hydrolic jack and 2 jack stands be enough lift ?

Well I have a custom cat-back exhaust on the way and I have to pay to get that welded and what-not, as well as a front lip so I can't afford to really pay to install ALL of this. Do you guys think the Y is a duable project if given the proper common tools ?

BTW, If I got the peices of my cat-back system all welded together, could I install it or should I have the Mechanic do it ? I need him to weld it together but it doesn't seem too difficult to actually install myself. Thoughts ?
Old 01-02-2002, 11:21 PM

Do it yourself. If you have the right tools. Jack stands and a jack is all you need. The only major problems that can happen is that you are not able to take off the rusted bolts or if the y-pipe has fittment problems (like many of us has had) then you should go to a shop. Just try it yourself first
Old 01-02-2002, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
Do it yourself. If you have the right tools. Jack stands and a jack is all you need. The only major problems that can happen is that you are not able to take off the rusted bolts or if the y-pipe has fittment problems (like many of us has had) then you should go to a shop. Just try it yourself first
True. What do you think about the cat-back exhaust situation ?
Old 01-03-2002, 12:13 AM

Do it yourself.. i was kinda hesitant to do it but got bored today so went at it... 6 tools will make it a breeze.. those tools are

1 deep socket ( dont remember which size..)
1 10" extension
1 3/8" ratchet
1 24" breaker bar
1 Universal swivel joint
1 O2 sensor wrench

these tools will make the job fly right by i used ramps to get at mine and it worked fine.. only took 2 hours cuz i had to wait for my friend to come over with a swivel

Adam
Old 01-03-2002, 12:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I say go for it Craig, I want to see you take some punishment .
BTW use a 14mm deep socket and also make sure to use a breaker bar.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

True. What do you think about the cat-back exhaust situation ?
humm....Not shure about other options except you know someone with a wealder. If not then its probably something you have to take to the shop
Old 01-03-2002, 12:38 AM
I'm needing a caw

If you are at all decent w/ basic tools the Y is DIY. Have the exhaust done at a shop and save the trouble. You can't really weld the pipe until they measure it all up on the car soo.......
Old 01-03-2002, 01:07 AM

I had the shop do mine because I knew it was going to be a ***** to get the damm bolts off. Hey it was worth the $65 plus the pipe did not fit perfect and they did the bending to make it fit.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:09 AM

Time is money

Take it to a shop.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Disco Biscuit

Aas much as I love doing my on installs, my shop is doing my Y while swapping out my tranny.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:11 AM

You can do it is not hard

Craigmack you can take that Ypipe off yourself, there are 3 nuts per pipe except the rear which only have two. Prior to you loosening any nuts you will need a universal joint and a long extension to get to the the middle section of the Ypipe. The key is the WD 40 and the socket extension and definitely the Universal joint for the socket wrench. The Ypipe is a bolt on item is just about removing them 8 nuts and a couple of bolts that hold the stock one in place and thats it. I did it myself took me 1hr and a half. I think much easier then suspension if you ask me. Just loosen the center nuts first with the universal joint and then be careful with the O2 sensors youll see them prior to you taking the Ypipe off. Go to www.maximadriver.com and cheston has a write up on it. That is exactly what I used.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:37 AM

Yeah, do it yourself. Use Liquid Wrench instead of WD-40; it is a much better penetrant. I suggest that you spray the bolts several hours before you do the work; you don't want to break an exhaust stud.

Also, a second pair of jack stands under the rear will give you a lot more room to work.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by emax95
I say go for it Craig, I want to see you take some punishment .
BTW use a 14mm deep socket and also make sure to use a breaker bar.
i keel jOO

Thanks guys for all your responses. Looks like i'm goin to discount auto parts for sommore tools. I think we are gonna do my CAI, my Y, and an addco RSB on my sisters max, so we got some work ahead of us. The exhaust I guess Jeff is right since they have to weld it anyways might as well slap it on.

My red/clear taillights from DavidL should be coming here shortly. Is that an easy D-I-Y as well ?
Old 01-03-2002, 10:37 AM

Taillights are supereasy ... just be careful not to get the black glue stuff on your clothes or too much on your hands.

My red/clear taillights from DavidL should be coming here shortly. Is that an easy D-I-Y as well ?
Old 01-03-2002, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Why do it yourself when you can watch the mechanic sweat..
Old 01-03-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Old 01-03-2002, 02:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Pay the $50-$60 for a greasy machanic to do it.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Maxilicious
Pay the $50-$60 for a greasy machanic to do it.
Well the thing is I have to save that for my Cat-back exhaust system. And I have a friend who could easily do it given we had the proper tools. So, why not ?
Old 01-03-2002, 02:56 PM

O2 sensor wrench?
Can you use a regular wrench, say an open ended wrench?
How hard is it to remove. I was going to get extras, but at $117 a piece, I rather not!

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
Do it yourself.. i was kinda hesitant to do it but got bored today so went at it... 6 tools will make it a breeze.. those tools are

1 deep socket ( dont remember which size..)
1 10" extension
1 3/8" ratchet
1 24" breaker bar
1 Universal swivel joint
1 O2 sensor wrench

these tools will make the job fly right by i used ramps to get at mine and it worked fine.. only took 2 hours cuz i had to wait for my friend to come over with a swivel

Adam
Old 01-03-2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by 2DMax
O2 sensor wrench?
Can you use a regular wrench, say an open ended wrench?
How hard is it to remove. I was going to get extras, but at $117 a piece, I rather not!

Sure u can, i just prefered the O2 wrench which is actually a 7/8inch socket with a slit up the side allowing you to slip it over the wires and sensor for the most grip. They pop loose in seconds with one of these bad boys.. it was like 12 bucks for the socket

Adam
Old 01-03-2002, 03:48 PM
pmg

If a shop will do it for $65,let them do it. You should have 4 jackstands also. I did mine. With my first y-pipe, it was made wrong and I couldn't get a big heat shield back on. Also, the bolts near the cat had to be chiseled off. They sent me a new y-pipe and I had it almost on and realized they didn't send the gaskets. Finally, on the third weekend, with new bolts at the cat that were almost impossible to find at a lot of stores, I got the new pipe installed. It was not made right either though and the o2 sensor rubbed on something and died a week later. I had to pay a shop to patch the old sensor hole and put a new sensor in a new hole they made. I am sure the pipes are made right now though as this was a while back. I'm just ranting and raving now because I had bad luck with mine.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well the thing is I have to save that for my Cat-back exhaust system. And I have a friend who could easily do it given we had the proper tools. So, why not ?
Guess I am just lazy and generally imaptient with these kind of things. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:50 PM

I though you were a greasy mechanic Craig?
-Cyrus
Old 01-03-2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Maxilicious

Guess I am just lazy and generally imaptient with these kind of things. Good luck.
Thanks. I will need it.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
I though you were a greasy mechanic Craig?
-Cyrus
Don't ***** up my thread bish.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:07 PM

I do all mods myself but with the y-pipe I just decided to have it done. Fifty bucks and not having to deal with the rusted bolts were worth it to me. However you live in Florida, so you proly don't have the same challenge we do up here.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:25 PM

Don't ***** up my thread bish.
Sorry, I can't help it (Woohoo another *****!).
-Cyrus
Old 01-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

the front O2 sensor take a 22" open ended wrench
Old 01-03-2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by yourmove
I do all mods myself but with the y-pipe I just decided to have it done. Fifty bucks and not having to deal with the rusted bolts were worth it to me. However you live in Florida, so you proly don't have the same challenge we do up here.
You are right Danny. Guys like you and Sprinty's cars are all rusted and what-not, while her in nice warm florida our cars internals stay healthy and removeable.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:35 PM

You are right Danny. Guys like you and Sprinty's cars are all rusted and what-not, while her in nice warm florida our cars internals stay healthy and removeable.
Don't you mean externals? The internals are watter proof.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:00 PM

Re: Hmm, shall I install the Y myself or pay a greasy mechanic ? Help please.

How do you think a poor greasy mechanic is gonna feel when he reads the topic? Have some compassion! He's all greasy! You're lumping all mechanics into a "greasy" stereotype, too. Not all mechanics are greasy, because some don't do real work. These mechanics work as "service managers" or in "marketing".
We all should have empathy towards the mechanics we see out there, who listen to cranky people like us, whining and complaining about our car problems. So, the next time you see a mechanic, shake his or HER hand (even though its greasy) and thank them for putting up with us, and charging such reasonable amounts of money for the magic they perform on our wonderful treasures, our Maximas.

I posted this just to get to 300
Old 01-03-2002, 11:04 PM

Re: Re: Hmm, shall I install the Y myself or pay a greasy mechanic ? Help please.

Originally posted by ru4real
How do you think a poor greasy mechanic is gonna feel when he reads the topic? Have some compassion! He's all greasy! You're lumping all mechanics into a "greasy" stereotype, too. Not all mechanics are greasy, because some don't do real work. These mechanics work as "service managers" or in "marketing".
We all should have empathy towards the mechanics we see out there, who listen to cranky people like us, whining and complaining about our car problems. So, the next time you see a mechanic, shake his or HER hand (even though its greasy) and thank them for putting up with us, and charging such reasonable amounts of money for the magic they perform on our wonderful treasures, our Maximas.

I posted this just to get to 300
I ban you from my thread, PW bish.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Don't you mean externals? The internals are watter proof.
Dont you mean 'water' proof ?
Old 01-03-2002, 11:16 PM

Dont you mean 'water' proof ?
100 words perminute aint easy
Old 01-04-2002, 05:44 AM

If I got hot and sweaty, would you watch me Sprint ?!

Originally posted by SprintMax