General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

PCV Valve replacement from Jiffy Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2000, 01:06 PM

hi all. I need to change my pcv valve but I know it's a pain in the *** and the dealer wants at least 70 bucks to change it. But Jiffy Lube does it for like $12 bucks. Is it safe to let them change your PCV valve? I know they dont change PCV valves all that often and I'm kind of reluctant to let them do it on mine.
Any opinions?
Old 11-10-2000, 01:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Do it yourself. Its not that bad. Need a flathead screw driver. And needle nose pliars. But if you want to risk and and spend 12 dollars. Then its a easy job for the jiffy lube guys. But you can only be sure if it was done right if you do it yourself.

ZuM
Old 11-10-2000, 01:31 PM

Your better off doin it yourself. On the 95-2k Max, we put that as N/A b/c we arent willing to go through the trouble. Besides that, we never carried it. I werked p/t at Jiffy Lube for about a year and just quit. They are all morons there... at least here in NJ.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:37 PM

Next time

We have one of these meets--if and when I see DanNY, he said he was going to do it for me. heheh

Zumble--you wnat to take a stab at my PCV valve? haha.
:bounce:

how's the car running. I haven't driven mine in sometime now.

=)
Old 11-10-2000, 11:10 PM

Re: Next time

Do it yourself.. Its for your own good!! =P Screw driver.. pliars.. =P Remove brakets in the way.. =) 15 minute job. Do it this weekend! Thats your assignment.. =)

My car runs fine. BUT! I did a drain and flush the other day. I took out about 5 quarts of ATF. I've put in at least 6!! And it was still reading low when I got home today. I put more in and I'm going to check the level after some driving tomorrow. Weird.

ZuM

Originally posted by humaras
We have one of these meets--if and when I see DanNY, he said he was going to do it for me. heheh

=)
Old 11-11-2000, 06:03 AM

assignment

Zum--you hurt me *sniff*
j/k
Yes, I know it is for my own good---and you are right--I must take a stab at this myself--so I will try it this weekend and report back--however, if it does rain--then it will have to wait for next weekend.

btw, it does sound weird--you took out less but you have to add more. Did you check the dipstick before draining and refilling? what kind of tranny fluid are you putting in there? Mobil or the stock stuff--what the heck brand of ATF does Nissan dealers use when they do the drain and refill?

hope you got an exciting weekend lined up--I am going back to sleep
Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Do it yourself.. Its for your own good!! =P Screw driver.. pliars.. =P Remove brakets in the way.. =) 15 minute job. Do it this weekend! Thats your assignment.. =)

My car runs fine. BUT! I did a drain and flush the other day. I took out about 5 quarts of ATF. I've put in at least 6!! And it was still reading low when I got home today. I put more in and I'm going to check the level after some driving tomorrow. Weird.

ZuM

=)
Old 11-11-2000, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Do it yourself. Its not that bad. Need a flathead screw driver. And needle nose pliars. But if you want to risk and and spend 12 dollars. Then its a easy job for the jiffy lube guys. But you can only be sure if it was done right if you do it yourself.

ZuM
Also, spend the $10-14 for a GENUINE NIssan PCV valve - don't buy those cheapo ones for $2. Also replace the rubber hosing at the same time.
Old 11-11-2000, 09:49 AM

Re: assignment

So far its not really raining. Doesn't look it. But I just woke up. =) So I dono. Yeah, it will take you only a few min to do the PCV. I'm glad I went and checked it the other day. Now next time when I replace it. It will be a snap. Just like the tranny fluid. I don't have to rely on anyone to do it anymore. I'm gonna change my coolant today maybe. Anyways. I put in synthetic Mobil ATF. I've checked the ATF levels before when I installed my tranny cooler. And they were okay. The nissan dealers may have nissan brand ATF. Just like how honda has Honda brand MTF.

ZuM

Zum--you hurt me *sniff*
j/k
Yes, I know it is for my own good---and you are right--I must take a stab at this myself--so I will try it this weekend and report back--however, if it does rain--then it will have to wait for next weekend.

btw, it does sound weird--you took out less but you have to add more. Did you check the dipstick before draining and refilling? what kind of tranny fluid are you putting in there? Mobil or the stock stuff--what the heck brand of ATF does Nissan dealers use when they do the drain and refill?

hope you got an exciting weekend lined up--I am going back to sleep

=)
[/I][/QUOTE] [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 09-01-2003, 04:17 PM

ok well I dont know about you guys, but my pCV valve wasnt quite so easy to do, especially w/ the FSTB in the way. I started it, and had to stop because I got a giant gash in my finger and blood all over the engine, never did change it yet- 3 months later.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:37 AM

the pcv valve is easy as hell to change. couldn't imagine paying some monkey 70 bux to change it. at least give it a try. compared to the fuel filter, it's like heaven.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by maximaseefu
the pcv valve is easy as hell to change. couldn't imagine paying some monkey 70 bux to change it. at least give it a try. compared to the fuel filter, it's like heaven.
see now I"ve had the opposite, PCV doesnt want to come out of mine, and I did the fuel filter in 5 minutes.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:38 PM

where's the pcv valve :-X
Old 09-02-2003, 04:05 PM
ivelweyz

PCV costs $3 and takes 5 minutes. I'm sorry but if you can't change a PCV you really shouldn't bother with trying anything else...

Old 09-02-2003, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by venompwr2
see now I"ve had the opposite, PCV doesnt want to come out of mine, and I did the fuel filter in 5 minutes.
that is strange. the first time i did it the hardest part of changing pcv was finding the sucker.