General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Trans-Go shift kit: Need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 05:29 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Trans-Go shift kit: Need feedback

Well i'm really getting sick of the weak shifting in my auto. The acceleration is great, but the shift is so weak and takes the fun right out of it. I need to feel myself getting jolted into second, hopefully with a nice tire chirping.

I can't afford $400 and downtime for Don's, and certainly not more for the Level 10. The trans-go is so much cheeper, and I could get AAMCO to install it for me. They charge $170 for the kit and labor, hopefully I will find it on this board cheeper.

To all who has it or ridden in one: Is it worth it ? I know it's probubly not as good as Don's or Level 10, but it's really cheep and in my budget range. Are you satisfied with it ? Can you chirp ? Feedback would be helpful!
Old 01-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In the long run, I think it's better to save up for Level Ten's VB.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:26 PM

ive heard good things about it

if u found the shop get it
dont spend time lookin on the board
u wont save more then 10 - 15 $
plus if the kits been open there is a chance that they have lost a single piece, since their soooo smalll

just get it installed save urself the trouble bro.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: ive heard good things about it

Originally posted by tunedup
if u found the shop get it
dont spend time lookin on the board
u wont save more then 10 - 15 $
plus if the kits been open there is a chance that they have lost a single piece, since their soooo smalll

just get it installed save urself the trouble bro.

Well i'm lookin for a new one that I could buy cheep and have them install, that way I could save. But your right, something might be missing.

Now if anyone can comment on the chirping, and shift improvements they felt...
Old 01-06-2002, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like too much money...

I'm not sure where anymore, but people used to be able to get these things for $35-$50 uninstalled. If that's still the case, $120 sounds like too much for labor. If you have a local tuning shop, go to them. Their prices may be cheaper because they do them more ofter.
-Cyrus
Old 01-06-2002, 07:19 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

actually $120 sounds good considering they have to drop the VB, assemble the kit, install the kit, and replace the VB...so thats about $60-70 labor, to me that doesn't seem too bad! as for the final results.....personally I'd save up for the Level 10 VB to see some real gains!
Old 01-07-2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
as for the final results.....personally I'd save up for the Level 10 VB to see some real gains!
The trans-go shift DOES work. Unless you've ridden in a auto max with the trans-go, don't be dissin' it. It's the answer for all us cheep-@sses
Old 01-07-2002, 02:12 PM

I installed the TransGo kit on my first tranny and I have ridden in a couple of cars with Don's VB. The kit does firm up shifting some, but not nearly as much as Don's VB. With either one, you still won't get a 2nd gear chirp though.

The kit is a lot of work. You have to remove the VB, disassemble it, drill a couple of holes and replace springs and *****. I would not trust just anyone to do this. I would definately have a tranny shop do it, and the price you got seems pretty good.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Craig Mack
The trans-go shift DOES work. Unless you've ridden in a auto max with the trans-go, don't be dissin' it. It's the answer for all us cheep-@sses
dude I'm with you 100% on the "cheap-***" stuff...cheap-*** is my middle name.... but if you want a VB thats "performance oriented" go with Don or Level 10, if you read TransGos/TX Exchange's site you'll see that they say this kit is for tranny life improvement, NOT performance oriented! but yeah $120 is a good price so I say go for it!!
Old 01-07-2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
I installed the TransGo kit on my first tranny and I have ridden in a couple of cars with Don's VB. The kit does firm up shifting some, but not nearly as much as Don's VB. With either one, you still won't get a 2nd gear chirp though.

The kit is a lot of work. You have to remove the VB, disassemble it, drill a couple of holes and replace springs and *****. I would not trust just anyone to do this. I would definately have a tranny shop do it, and the price you got seems pretty good.
Could you notice a significant improvement from the trans-go over stock ? When my auto shifts I can feel it lose power, I want to be thrown back in my seat somewhat, and be pushed into the next gear, not this soft crap like the stock auto does.

So whats your opinion?
Old 01-07-2002, 02:34 PM

I would say that there was a 50-75% reduction in up-shift time and much better response in downshifting, especially at low speeds.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
I would say that there was a 50-75% reduction in up-shift time and much better response in downshifting, especially at low speeds.
!!

Those are some impressive #'s and info

!!

I CANT STAND my delayed downshifting, either. The Trans-Go sounds like the mod for me.

DA-Max, for tranny life ONLY huh ?
Old 01-07-2002, 02:47 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

DA-Max, for tranny life ONLY huh ?
okay then go for it...but comparison wise it still doesn't measure up! but like I said if its only $120 for the whole job go fo it! I still think Level 10 is the best job out there, my friend has one in his '00 Accord V6, it made a ****load of a difference, but then again $700 ain't cheap!
Old 01-07-2002, 02:52 PM

okay then go for it...but comparison wise it still doesn't measure up! but like I said if its only $120 for the whole job go fo it! : I still think Level 10 is the best job out there, my friend has one in his '00 Accord V6, it made a ****load of a difference, but then again $700 ain't cheap!
$700 ??
Old 01-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

$700 ??
yeah...Level 10 doesn't play when it comes to pricing!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've been thinking about doing this too...I gotta find a place to get it done though...I wish the dealerships installed them so the warrantee wouldn't be voided LOL. (we all know stealerships are evil lol)
Old 01-07-2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Lime
I've been thinking about doing this too...I gotta find a place to get it done though...I wish the dealerships installed them so the warrantee wouldn't be voided LOL. (we all know stealerships are evil lol)
AAMCO
Old 01-07-2002, 05:13 PM

Could you notice a significant improvement from the trans-go over stock ? When my auto shifts I can feel it lose power, I want to be thrown back in my seat somewhat, and be pushed into the next gear, not this soft crap like the stock auto does.

So whats your opinion?
OK, two points I need to make here -

1. Having been around V8, RWD performance cars most of my life (and I still own one now), I have to say that a shift-improver kit is definitely worth the money. Quicker shifts = longer tranny life. This is because heat kills transmissions, and trannys can build up a lot of heat on a slow shift.

2. Tire-chirping isn't as cool for your car as it sounds. If you're spinning the tires on the 1-2 shift, you're losing traction, and can lose control very easily once the wheels grab again. Also, on a FWD car, you're eventually going to do more expensive damage, like break axles, bearings because of the shock to the drivetrain components.

One other bad thing about neck-snapping shifts is the fact that if you drive your car everyday (good or bad weather), a hard shift can be scary as hell in the rain. Been there, done that. My Monte does NOT leave the driveway anymore in the bad weather.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

AAMCO
man those bastards at AAMCO around my way said they didn't do "shift kits"....man ****ing lying bastards!
Old 01-07-2002, 06:01 PM

man those bastards at AAMCO around my way said they didn't do "shift kits"....man ****ing lying bastards!
My AAMCO SELLS the damn kits and installs them. You have foolish people around your way.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by TPI Monte SS

OK, two points I need to make here -

1. Having been around V8, RWD performance cars most of my life (and I still own one now), I have to say that a shift-improver kit is definitely worth the money. Quicker shifts = longer tranny life. This is because heat kills transmissions, and trannys can build up a lot of heat on a slow shift.

2. Tire-chirping isn't as cool for your car as it sounds. If you're spinning the tires on the 1-2 shift, you're losing traction, and can lose control very easily once the wheels grab again. Also, on a FWD car, you're eventually going to do more expensive damage, like break axles, bearings because of the shock to the drivetrain components.

One other bad thing about neck-snapping shifts is the fact that if you drive your car everyday (good or bad weather), a hard shift can be scary as hell in the rain. Been there, done that. My Monte does NOT leave the driveway anymore in the bad weather.
Thank you for your input, you have some usefull info there
Old 01-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

My AAMCO SELLS the damn kits and installs them. You have foolish people around your way.
I'm going up there tommorow....time to deal out some kicks to the nads with my steel toe boots!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 06:10 PM

I'm going up there tommorow....time to deal out some kicks to the nads with my steel toe boots!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 07:20 PM

I installed the trans-go shift kit earlier this year, and I love it. The install is not for the faint at heart to say the least. It's scary there's about a zillion parts and if you F-up the slightest thing, say good bye tranny. There is another third gen member that forgot to put back in the line press. spring and it burnt up his band! (bye bye tranny).

I DO RECCOMEND replacing all the internal vb gaskets (four I believe) courtesy nissan said there are only two (butt heads) so locally I got the other two (dont forget our tranny is just about the same) and I think the kit from trans-go is the same as well. Also go with synthetic tranny ATF and a cooler.

Yeah the kit is only ~$50 bucks, but then four gaskets for vb, tranny pan gasket, tranny cooler, royal purple syn. ATF (~$70), = around $250 and a peace of mind.

THE GASKETS SHOULD NOT BE REUSED, THEY DO NOT SEAL PROPERLY.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by eric93SE
I installed the trans-go shift kit earlier this year, and I love it. The install is not for the faint at heart to say the least. It's scary there's about a zillion parts and if you F-up the slightest thing, say good bye tranny. There is another third gen member that forgot to put back in the line press. spring and it burnt up his band! (bye bye tranny).

I DO RECCOMEND replacing all the internal vb gaskets (four I believe) courtesy nissan said there are only two (butt heads) so locally I got the other two (dont forget our tranny is just about the same) and I think the kit from trans-go is the same as well. Also go with synthetic tranny ATF and a cooler.

Yeah the kit is only ~$50 bucks, but then four gaskets for vb, tranny pan gasket, tranny cooler, royal purple syn. ATF (~$70), = around $250 and a peace of mind.

THE GASKETS SHOULD NOT BE REUSED, THEY DO NOT SEAL PROPERLY.
I can get it for cheeper. Check your PM's!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:35 PM

i say wait
Old 01-08-2002, 01:06 PM

ridden in and had a transgo

A guy I knew w/ a '95 had a transgo shift kit, and could chirp 2nd.. only mod he had besides that was pop intake. the shift was definately improved over stock, but not too firm like i would have liked it..

I bought a transgo kit, but right before i was going to have it installed, decided to convert my car to 5spd, so I sold it and a tranny cooler for like 60$, both new.. I cant remember, it was on the .org

As for labor, 120$ doesnt sound that bad.. I was quoted 100$ but the mechanic is sort of a friend of the family. it is a fairly involved install as the others have said.

dont expect this thing to make your neck snap and all that, but it will firm up your shift a little, and is definately a good solution if you dont want to shell out 400$ or whatever for don's although his kicks *** from what I have heard
Old 01-08-2002, 01:26 PM

If you really want it to shift. Save and get the valve body from don $400 and the complete rebuild kit from level ten (729) and then have it installed. SO get 2grand and do it. Put the power down and shift great.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:56 PM

okay then go for it...but comparison wise it still doesn't measure up! but like I said if its only $120 for the whole job go fo it! I still think Level 10 is the best job out there, my friend has one in his '00 Accord V6, it made a ****load of a difference, but then again $700 ain't cheap!
700 is the price for it installed?? not as bad as i originally thought...
Old 01-08-2002, 03:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Raf2kMax
700 is the price for it installed??
if you want to drive up to NJ to have them do it...thats what I plan to do this summer when I hopefully get time to get it done! but if you want them to send it to you, its still $700 then you can install it yourself!
Old 01-08-2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
If you really want it to shift. Save and get the valve body from don $400 and the complete rebuild kit from level ten (729) and then have it installed. SO get 2grand and do it. Put the power down and shift great.
2 Grand !!??!! I can convert to 5spd for much less than that! Sheesh
Old 01-08-2002, 04:30 PM

2 Grand !!??!! I can convert to 5spd for much less than that! Sheesh
and it would not be as fast.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:36 PM

and it would not be as fast.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:52 PM

I dont know how some guys with VB mods havent chirped yet. I have chirped many times w/ Don's VB (NA). I know Medicsonic has chirped a lot with his L10 VB as well.

There is nothign wrong with a shift kit, yes it's a cheaper alternative but you get what you can afford right?

I would prefer a full Level10 auto tranny over a 5speed any day. You will be as fast if not faster with it then a 5spd. The faster you go (sub 10 seconds), you will find that autos are used about all the time if not always.

Fear the 2spd Chevy Powerglides.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Synki
I dont know how some guys with VB mods havent chirped yet. I have chirped many times w/ Don's VB (NA). I know Medicsonic has chirped a lot with his L10 VB as well.

There is nothign wrong with a shift kit, yes it's a cheaper alternative but you get what you can afford right? )

I would prefer a full Level10 auto tranny over a 5speed any day. You will be as fast if not faster with it then a 5spd. The faster you go (sub 10 seconds), you will find that autos are used about all the time if not always.

Fear the 2spd Chevy Powerglides.
Are you serious ?? Hmm, so what is it about the level 10 rebuild that can make it as fast or faster than a 5spd ??? Does Y2kevSE have this ? If so he takes alot of auto jokes !

And do you think i'll be able to chirp second with a Trans-Go ? (I have a '95 SE w/CAI and 17x8 konig caffeines (19lbs a peice)
Old 01-08-2002, 05:20 PM

Are you serious ?? Hmm, so what is it about the level 10 rebuild that can make it as fast or faster than a 5spd ??? Does Y2kevSE have this ? If so he takes alot of auto jokes ! :eek

And do you think i'll be able to chirp second with a Trans-Go ? (I have a '95 SE w/CAI and 17x8 konig caffeines (19lbs a peice)
Yep, all the pros use auto believe it or not. Even all those 10, 9 , 8 second Detriot Muscles are autos. Autos are consistent.

A full L10 tranny is about 3 grand total. Its virtually bullet-proof. High stall TC, VB mod, performance clutches in-between gears, and more. Go to www.levelten.com for more info. Like someone said, they are located in Southern NJ. (Thank god they are 1 hour from me ) They do very good work but are not cheap at all.

Its poosible that you can chirp the gears. I never heard of anyone w/ a shift kit chirp but there is always a first.

Oh yea, dont forget a tranny cooler. That always keeps teh tranny cooler and prolongs the life as well.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:28 PM

Yep, all the pros use auto believe it or not. Even all those 10, 9 , 8 second Detriot Muscles are autos. Autos are consistent.

A full L10 tranny is about 3 grand total. Its virtually bullet-proof. High stall TC, VB mod, performance clutches in-between gears, and more. Go to www.levelten.com for more info. Like someone said, they are located in Southern NJ. (Thank god they are 1 hour from me ) They do very good work but are not cheap at all.

Its poosible that you can chirp the gears. I never heard of anyone w/ a shift kit chirp but there is always a first.

Oh yea, dont forget a tranny cooler. That always keeps teh tranny cooler and prolongs the life as well.
Acually level ten rebuild does not include a tc. And the rebuild kit(700) is the same as the "full rebuild" the only diff is the full rebuild is the kit installed vs uninstaled and havhing somebody else do it.

Yes Craig 1000% an auto moded properly vs a reg 5 speed moded is better. Now the only manuel that is better is say a sequential manuel. Or the Ferriari flip patel design which the clutch is controlled by the ecu.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Autos are consistent.
exxxxxxactly!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2002, 12:08 PM

Or the Ferriari flip patel design which the clutch is controlled by the ecu.
those are so awesome
Old 01-10-2002, 02:31 PM

Ok so here is what I seem to understand from yalls posts:

1)The pause when I floor it will be shortened significantly
2)When flooring it or giving hard gas, my 1-2 shift will be alot harder and more along the lines of a 5spd (of course not as good, but at least similer). and 2-3 shift hopefully as hard.

3)My downshifts will be alot quicker and not delayed (I HATE having to slow down to 3mph just so my auto will shift back into 1st when making a right turn!

Are my assumptions correct ?

Just today I floored it off the line at a stop light. Wheels spun and my CAI roared, , but then at the shift point it was so WEAK! I HATE that weak-@ss stock shifting. Must....have...jolting 5spd like shifts...

Quick Reply: Trans-Go shift kit: Need feedback