General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dunlop Winter Sport M2 Great Performer...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 07:07 AM
dstainer

Dunlop Winter Sport M2 Great Performer...

Folks,

If you're looking for a great high performance winter tire, the Dunlop Winter Sport M2 performed great on my car this weekend (during bad weather in Pittsburgh). Handling was amazing, especially in slushy conditions.

I had the Blizzak tires installed last year. These tires are the best you can buy for icy conditions. However, the tread compound is so soft, that the tires won't last very long, especially if you commute more than 30 minutes each way. I heard the same about the Michelin Pilot Alpin.

From what I understand, the Dunlop Winter Sport M2's are standard winter tires on many European high performance vehicles, such as Porsche and BMW. From what I have experienced personally, I would highly recommend them.

-Dan from Pittsburgh (formerly Dan from Baltimore - Maxima.org member since 1999).

ps. Don from Texas, are you going to ask me to delete this post? Have I offended you in any way? If I have, please let me know, and I will delete this post immediately...

Old 01-07-2002, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Re: Dunlop Winter Sport M2 Great Performer...

dood.. don't worry about Don.. he posts every now and then.. he is just playing with you.. its ok..

Now onto the tires.. my cousin has Dunlop SP5000 on his GS400 and let me tell you .. they were awesome last night in the snow.. v8.. RWD.. snow storm... not a pretty site.. but they were great.. granted he had snow mode on.. but i was very very impressed with them.. too bad i don't have money to buy expensive tires for the snow

Originally posted by dstainer
Folks,

If you're looking for a great high performance winter tire, the Dunlop Winter Sport M2 performed great on my car this weekend (during bad weather in Pittsburgh). Handling was amazing, especially in slushy conditions.

I had the Blizzak tires installed last year. These tires are the best you can buy for icy conditions. However, the tread compound is so soft, that the tires won't last very long, especially if you commute more than 30 minutes each way. I heard the same about the Michelin Pilot Alpin.

From what I understand, the Dunlop Winter Sport M2's are standard winter tires on many European high performance vehicles, such as Porsche and BMW. From what I have experienced personally, I would highly recommend them.

-Dan from Pittsburgh (formerly Dan from Baltimore - Maxima.org member since 1999).

ps. Don from Texas, are you going to ask me to delete this post? Have I offended you in any way? If I have, please let me know, and I will delete this post immediately...
Old 01-07-2002, 07:34 AM

Re: Dunlop Winter Sport M2 Great Performer...

Originally posted by dstainer
The Pilot Alpins are not made of a soft rubber like Blizzaks (except the LM-22). The Pilot Alpins actually have a better treadwear rating from the user reported survey at tirerack than the Dunlop Winter Sport M2s. I'm still on the fence as to what winter tires to get for my 02 Max. I plan on putting 225/55/16 rubber on a some 16" steel rims. The Artic Alpins have gotten really good reviews, but apparently have some problems in water and slush. The Pilot Alpins supposedly don't have quite as good of grip as the Artic Alpins, but they don't have the problem with the slush.

Stereodude
Old 01-07-2002, 09:26 AM

wanna drag?

I think my studded Nokian Hakk 1's would leave you guys sittin in the dust. Most SUV's cant keep up to me..not sure how you guys would..I NEED a good race.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Re: wanna drag?

Originally posted by LeoB
I think my studded Nokian Hakk 1's would leave you guys sittin in the dust. Most SUV's cant keep up to me..not sure how you guys would..I NEED a good race.
racing on snow.. yeah.. yeah.. i just can't wait
Old 01-07-2002, 09:54 AM

Re: wanna drag?

Originally posted by LeoB
Yes, but I'm going to get tires that are legal for me to use on the road.

Stereodude
Old 01-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I put my Dunlop Sport A2's to the winter test last night. Lots of snow and slush with a change over to rain. It was ugly driving last night, but my car was very well planted on the road. Overall I'm very pleased with the A2's in all areas. Dry handling is great, and wet/snow is excellent as well.