General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WTF Any help with this

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:53 AM

WTF Any help with this

The nissan dealer didn't resurface my flywheel when i got my clutch put in, I thought it just needed to be broke in, well the next week I went down there and said I needed to get them to do that since they did not, they made an appointment for me to bring it in, got there and the service manager was there, and being a complete *******, he told me that they do not resurface the flywheel on any 89+ Maxima, WTF then he basically called me a lier when I said that the clutch was vibrating when I left the dealership a week earlier, he said no it didn't, the mechanic drove it and said it wasn't, then I say yes is was, he said again no it wasn't,

he went on to say that they do not resurface the flywheel they only replace them, again WTF not to mention that the guy who was there origionally said the resurface the flywheel if it is needed, well I went to another nissan dealer and asked them about it, they said they resurface the flywheel, had my dad's friends at Infiniti look at it and they said that the flywheel is resurfacable and that it needs to be done, anyway what should I do, does anyone know the southeast service techs number?

thanks
Old 01-07-2002, 09:54 AM
Administrator

should have bought a lightened flywheel with your new clutch.. thats why i haven't bought a clutch yet..
Old 01-07-2002, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
should have bought a lightened flywheel with your new clutch.. thats why i haven't bought a clutch yet..
I know but it was $500 for the lightened flywheel
Old 01-07-2002, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
I know but it was $500 for the lightened flywheel
and my clutch is slipping like a ****.. i am still waiting...
Old 01-07-2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
and my clutch is slipping like a ****.. i am still waiting...
mine was slipping so bad I could take it anymore, I could hardly drive it anywhere, so I had to get it done
Old 01-07-2002, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
mine was slipping so bad I could take it anymore, I could hardly drive it anywhere, so I had to get it done
sorry..

well i am not sure about the re-surfacing.. let me point Matt to this thread..
Old 01-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Do this. Take car to SECOND dealer, the one that said they re-surface f/wheel. Show receipts from first dealer. State “my new clutch is chattering and I did not care for the overall service experience from dealer #1 - can you help me?” Two things here, ANY dealer will honor your repair warranty, PARTS AND LABOR. You may have to pay for re-surface but that’s all. Second, the itemized part #’s on your receipt, Did they sell you a “kit” (part# 30001-.....) or individual components (30100-....., 30210-....)? The “keyvalue” kit is JUNK. The good news here is one comeback to dealer for chatter...Nissan will not use another POS US built keyvalue kit, they must , under warranty, replace with quality OE replacement parts. Not the kit. Either way you should get a new clutch. Keep us posted.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:54 AM

sounds like you need the services of PREPAID LEGAL. I pay 26 dollars a month and have access to a law firm and it's lawyers. They write correspondances and make phone calls on my behalf. Its basically like health insurance but for LAW! And it's month to month so you can cancel at anytime.

Anyways I first got it because a dry cleaners ruined my Ermenegildo Zegna suit jacket and refused to take responsiblity for it. Needless to say I was very ****ed. Thus my lawyer sent a letter and shortly there after I recieved a check in the mail, along with store credit. However it's highly unlikely that I'll be going there again in the future.

It's amazing how people change once they realize that they can't push around the innocent helpless consumer anymore since they have legal representation.

goto prepaidlegal.com for more information. and if you have any questions PM or email me.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by MONTARABOB
Do this. Take car to SECOND dealer, the one that said they re-surface f/wheel. Show receipts from first dealer. State “my new clutch is chattering and I did not care for the overall service experience from dealer #1 - can you help me?” Two things here, ANY dealer will honor your repair warranty, PARTS AND LABOR. You may have to pay for re-surface but that’s all. Second, the itemized part #’s on your receipt, Did they sell you a “kit” (part# 30001-.....) or individual components (30100-....., 30210-....)? The “keyvalue” kit is JUNK. The good news here is one comeback to dealer for chatter...Nissan will not use another POS US built keyvalue kit, they must , under warranty, replace with quality OE replacement parts. Not the kit. Either way you should get a new clutch. Keep us posted.
Well it is an aftermarket clutch kit, so I know it's ok, but the flywheel has nothing to do with the aftermarket, so I should just go to the other nissan place to see if they will honor my warrenty or are they suppose to honor it?
Old 01-07-2002, 12:56 PM

Aftermarket clutch kit??? Did you supply? or dealer?? When you say aftermarket do you mean Nissan keyvalue or 3rd party? If dealer supplied EXACTLY what part number is on your receipt?
Old 01-07-2002, 01:22 PM

ya def. get it resurfaced, then i would personally rub it in the first mechanics face for being a dumba$$
Old 01-07-2002, 01:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Mechanic doesn't know squiddly diddly. The flywheel should be resurfaced everytime to break the glaze, take off all the little surface cracks and put some "teeth" into the surface for the new clutch to break into.

I can't believe he would say that crap to avoid the warranty work. I'll try to get my Nissan FSM and see what the offical Nissan fsm has to say about it. If it mentions resurfacing, you are in mega luck(as it will be printed in Nissan paper so they cannot deny the obvious)
Old 01-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Mechanic doesn't know squiddly diddly. The flywheel should be resurfaced everytime to break the glaze, take off all the little surface cracks and put some "teeth" into the surface for the new clutch to break into.

I can't believe he would say that crap to avoid the warranty work. I'll try to get my Nissan FSM and see what the offical Nissan fsm has to say about it. If it mentions resurfacing, you are in mega luck(as it will be printed in Nissan paper so they cannot deny the obvious)
From the 94 FSM, page CL-9:

Check contact surface of flywheel for slight burns or discoloration. Repair flywheel with emery paper.

Check flywheel runout.
Runout (Total indicator reading):
Lessthan 0.15mm (0.0059 in)

I wonder what the Nissan techs think emery paper is........
Old 01-07-2002, 01:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Wow. Bill emery paper ain't gonna take out heat discoloration or heat cracks. Or make the surface perfectly flat again.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

From the 94 FSM, page CL-9:

Check contact surface of flywheel for slight burns or discoloration. Repair flywheel with emery paper.

Check flywheel runout.
Runout (Total indicator reading):
Lessthan 0.15mm (0.0059 in)

I wonder what the Nissan techs think emery paper is........
Old 01-07-2002, 03:39 PM

I assume GTRBlkMAX97 has a my97. Nissan factory wsm sez
"Do not surface flywhell. Replace as necessary" (page EM-62 /
97wsm).
We all know you can/should re-surface your flywheel. But not
to defend a service mgr, he simply was going "by the book".
In my 18+ years with Nissan I have NEVER seen any wsm say to
resurface, only check runout and replace if heat checked/cracked.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:50 PM

Aftermarket clutch kit??? Did you supply? or dealer?? When you say aftermarket do you mean Nissan keyvalue or 3rd party? If dealer supplied EXACTLY what part number is on your receipt?
ACT Stage 1 HDMM
Old 01-07-2002, 03:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

In light of the new information, I don't what recourse he has. If the flywheel was not prepped properly then:

1) The dealer put on a flywheel that was not properly prepped(ie..glazed)
2) The dealer put on a flywheel that should have been replaced(ie.. glazed or stressed cracked to a point where emery cloth would not take it off but resurfacing would)

Sorry man. It looks like the dealer did the right thing by not resurfacing the flywheel(by the book). Now the question is did the dealer put back a flywheel that should have been "replaced"?
Old 01-07-2002, 04:53 PM

In light of the new information, I don't what recourse he has. If the flywheel was not prepped properly then:

1) The dealer put on a flywheel that was not properly prepped(ie..glazed)
2) The dealer put on a flywheel that should have been replaced(ie.. glazed or stressed cracked to a point where emery cloth would not take it off but resurfacing would)

Sorry man. It looks like the dealer did the right thing by not resurfacing the flywheel(by the book). Now the question is did the dealer put back a flywheel that should have been "replaced"?
I know that's what I was wondering is why they did not tell me it needed to be replaced, I also got them to put in a new rear main seal that I had to get at a nissan dealer a hour away, and I bet they didn't even put that in. If they take it apart I am going to take a good look at the seal that is in there and if it looks like the new one I won't say anything but if it looks old I will sue the **** out of them, because they charged me an extra 1/2 hour or hour to put it in. anyway I am going there tomorrow and speaking my mind if they try to tell me I am a ****ing lier again
Old 01-07-2002, 04:59 PM

At this point, the dealer wont care what they did. It is
a aftermarket clutch. Its never the dealers fault..., must be
the aftermarket part...Did they sell it to you or did you bring it to
them and ask them to install? If they sold it to you raise
HE11! If you bought somewhere else...sorry...
Old 01-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Wow. Bill emery paper ain't gonna take out heat discoloration or heat cracks. Or make the surface perfectly flat again.

Yeah, I'm clueless as to what "Nissan emery paper" is in reality......

Even the FSM guys can't do a repair right.....
Old 01-07-2002, 07:17 PM

At this point, the dealer wont care what they did. It is
a aftermarket clutch. Its never the dealers fault..., must be
the aftermarket part...Did they sell it to you or did you bring it to
them and ask them to install? If they sold it to you raise
HE11! If you bought somewhere else...sorry...
I don't give a **** if there is an aftermarket clutch in there, they forgot to do something and they should have to do it again, since the dumbass mechanics at that nissan dealer didn't graduate 3rd freaking grade I am not suprised at all that it wasn't done right, it really ****es me off when I go and pay 500 dollars to get something done and they rip me off for the **** of it. If they refuse I will try the other dealer if that doesn't work BBB all the way
Old 01-07-2002, 08:35 PM

let it all out
Old 01-07-2002, 09:23 PM

Keep it cool, you'll have a MUCH better chance of them making it right. BTW you never did say, did they supply the parts or you?
Old 01-07-2002, 09:37 PM

yea sorry to let it all out here but you guys I am sure have been in a situation somewhat the same as this one, but all they did was put it in, I brought the clutch for them to put in, all I am saying is that when you put a new clutch in a car, the flywheel has an imprint or glaze if you like of the old clutch disc on it, therefore them telling me that they only resurface the flywheel if it needs it makes no sense at all since the new disc will not have the same print on the flywheel as the old one, I just am glad that my girlfriends dad is a mechanic and knows alot about cars, and has taught me about everything I know about cars, so I feel sorry for the people on Dateline that get ripped off by car repair centers because the repair guys know they can trick most people into paying for something they do not need, I just can't wait to find out that they charged me for the installation of the rear main seal and didn't put one in there, that will just be putting more logs on the fire, not to mention a lawyer on their a$$

In fact I have been jerked around by the police and car repair people so much I am highly considering going to law school to teach the ****ers a lesson
Old 01-08-2002, 12:01 PM

go get em!