General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pop charger with the PR pipe btw the MAF and Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

damn i'm gonna be selling my middle section without a filter for way cheaper then that. oh well.
I was wondering how long it would take you to post? I was going to remind all that you had the middle section for less $. It's a inexpensive way to, hopefully, increase the efficiency of an existing HF intake. I will order one as soon as you can ship bro. I'll post with my opinion. Go DMB!
Old 01-09-2002, 01:22 PM

dang yall enough arguing, tell hype u like his intake and be on your way
Old 01-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ehughes

I was wondering how long it would take you to post? I was going to remind all that you had the middle section for less $. It's a inexpensive way to, hopefully, increase the efficiency of an existing HF intake. I will order one as soon as you can ship bro. I'll post with my opinion. Go DMB!
give me a week. i decided to have them ALL powdercoated and not use the breather filter. i'm gonna integrate the stock line. take an extra couple days but better product and more professional.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally I started this post to see if anyone had done the hybrid JWT/CAI intake and it appears very few people have. After adding the pipe there is better clearance in my engine bay near the MAF/Throttle Body because the big resonator is gone. The added intake sound isn't too much, but above 3000rpms it definitely sounds deeper. If there is any power added it isn't too much, but I like my investment so far. $80 isn't too much for car parts and I wanted to do something before I go back to Austin on Sunday so my options were limited. I don't plan on ever having a CAI, but for those of you who love them more power to you. I'll give you a call when I'm in Austin Red.

For those still reading this thread who have a CAI: Does your pipe between the MAF and TB have 3 places to attach hoses and a nickel sized hole in the bottom? I called Place Racing and asked about the hole and the rep said it's for an NVB sensor or something. After calling Courtesy I determined that it's probably for a temperature sensor, but the strange thing is that my year '99 doesn't have a sensor to go there. The hole isn't a huge problem but it is after the filter so I considered covering it up but I wanted to see what CAI owners have to say.
-hype
Old 01-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Russ...you are so full of it.

your logic makes absolutely no sense at all. By what your saying...the fan will blow air on the pop but not on the CAI....riiight.

Also, it has been PROVEN by cheston that once the car is moving 30mph there is only a TWO DEGREE difference in intake temp from CAI to pop. the difference at idle is only 15 degrees....so once the car is moving, the popcharger will get more cold air than the fan on the dyno could ever give it.

About the track runs....who made these track runs and dynos of both intakes....I'd really like to see the results since there has NEVER been a post about them.
Check these two. The second one is after he put the lower tube back on.

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...threadid=14337

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...light=madmax2k
Old 01-09-2002, 06:05 PM

my $0.02

this may not mean too much, but about 2 monthes ago i routed my intake into the fender with dryer hose(filter sitting in fender). right away i noticed a huge difference. so i was driving around for a while and i thought it was faster. in reality, it wasnt. it was just as fast as when i had my "ghetto" pop style intake (stock upper hose, removed airbox and ducting, MAFS adapter, K&N cone filter, removed resonator.
so finally last week i took off the cold-air portion of the intake and put it back as a pop-style. i have no idea why this is, but either the pop is that much better or the ghetto cold-air-ness was sucking some serious power, i mean i was lacking power from say 4000-redline after the car was warmed up and had been driving for a while (highway or back roads, didnt make a difference).

now the pop is back and its running great, pulls all the way to redline. my results could have been different if i went with a REAL CAI, but i was just experimenting while i was bored.

thats my $0.02

P.S. my pop intake sounds alot better than the CAI ever did, but i was using dryer hose.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:54 PM

Re: my $0.02

cool, im getting a cai soon and we will have a small install meet