General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Get a third key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Get a third key?

I want to get a third spare key for my sister in case she needs to drive it. I want to know how much usually the spare key cost and how long does it take to order one from the dealership.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM

What car are you talking about?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Knowing the year of the car would be helpful, but since you are asking this question I have to assume you have a 1999 or newer car that uses a key with a chip in it. I can only make general statements as a result. The less amount of work and/or effort you want to do will result in the highest prices.

1) Dealer will be the most expensive but other than drive the car there, you don't have to do anything else.

2) Call around and find an independent locksmith. They can do the same thing as the dealer for anywhere between 2/3 and 3/4 the price of the dealer.

3) Buy a blank key on-line then find an independent locksmith to cut it and program it. Probably about 1/2 the price of the dealer but the most work for you.

Also, whenever you need to have a key programmed to the car, you must take all other existing keys with as the programming process starts out by deleting all key codes previously stored.

I am a firm believer in having a spare key at home, so if you don't already have one, this is a great time to do it as the programming part is the most expensive part of the process.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^^what he said.

I second the fact that if you are having keys programmed, might as well get two more, it'll only be a couple dollars more for the blank key.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just had a spare key made for my 5.5. I was looking online and saw the keys are relatively cheap (under $20).

Called local dealer to find out how much for key and programming. Quoted $225 for key and programming. I asked what if I get my own key and bring it to you. He said keys you get off the internet are hit and miss whether they will work or not but if you bring one they would only charge $110 to program it.

Called a local locksmith that does chipkeys and he did one for $60 key included. He used a laptop to go out to the car and it took about 10 minutes.

There is a reason they call them the stealership.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by maxwannabenow
There is a reason they call them the stealership.
Truth! I have two keys for my car that will turn the ignition, and a third that will unlock it, but was not programmed to the ignition because the dealership forgot to give it to me when I bought it. They only gave me one key, so I ordered a second online, about $20, had it cut at a locksmith $5 or so, and then paid a locksmith to sync it $45 along with the key I had. Of course then a few weeks later I got the second key in the mail from the dealership so that is why I have the third that isn't sync'd.

Just remember as was said above, when you have them sync'd you have to have all the keys sync'd, not just the new one. This is definitely one job you should not consider the dealership for, just get the key online, and then call around to find a smith who has the ability to do the syncing (this is not something all locksmiths do)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
Truth! I have two keys for my car that will turn the ignition, and a third that will unlock it, but was not programmed to the ignition because the dealership forgot to give it to me when I bought it. They only gave me one key, so I ordered a second online, about $20, had it cut at a locksmith $5 or so, and then paid a locksmith to sync it $45 along with the key I had. Of course then a few weeks later I got the second key in the mail from the dealership so that is why I have the third that isn't sync'd.
If the dealer sent me a key that didn't work, I would be back there making lots of noise until they rectified it.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM

When I bought the car, they said they only had the one key so that was how I bought it. As I wasn't comfortable with only one key I ordered a second, after I was the owner, had it cut, and then had that key and the original sync'd to ignition by a locksmith.

The third key came in the mail a while later, it doesn't work only because I didn't have it when I got the other keys sync'd. Only real complaint I could lodge to the dealer would have been that they didn't tell me they had it, but I bought the car as it was with only one key so I don't think it was a complaint worth lodging.