General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help! I have a car without a title. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 05:08 AM

Help! I have a car without a title. What should I do?

I met a lady in my apartment who was willing to let me put down some money for her 1999 Jeep and pay the rest later. However she moved and is nowhere to be found, leaving me with her car without her title. I went to the police station and got the lienholder's info which showed that it was located in another state. The interesting thing is that the stated lienholder, the bank, had no information whatsoever when I provided them the car's VIN number. What should I do? It's been more than a year that the car has been sitting on the parking lot without any news from the owner. Help!
Old 01-12-2002, 06:22 AM

Any reciept? If so, go to the DMV and ask for a copy of the title, and explain the situation.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:41 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Re: Help! I have a car without a title. What should I do?

maybe you should do a check on the VIN # and see if its legit.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:47 AM
SLOW

I know in michigan, the registered owner can request a new title in writing (assuming she doesn't) already have the old one. If the car is still registered to her, it's her car in the eyes of the state, and she could take it away from you if she's that shady, and it kinda sounds like she is.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:50 AM

Supposedly she 's supposed to be in Japan right now teaching English, whis was her reason for selling the car. As for the registeration I beleve the car i still under her name. So I guess really can't do anything..wish I knew a way I can at least drive the car until she contacts me without breaking any law. Thanks guys.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

sell it to me fi'dolla
Old 01-12-2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by nismomax
pay the rest later
What's meant by pay the rest later? You didn't pay yet, right? Because it wouldn't make sense to not take possession after full payment is rendered.

So I'm guessing you paid some sort of deposit and want to pay the balance so you can have the jeep. If that's the case, I think the question is more how do you get the deposit back, not so much how do you get the jeep. I was gone for a summer once in college and my neighbors broke into my car to remove the stereo (had an amp, preamp, ADS, Soundstream system). My housemate video'd it!! They actually went to court saying the fact that I was gone 2 months means I abandoned it! sheesh but out of the compassion in my heart I dropped the charges when they gave the equipment back and paid for the damage. It was a 2 year-old Celica, now why would anyone abandon it? Just like a 3 1/2 year old jeep if it's legit.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by nismomax
I met a lady in my apartment who was willing to let me put down some money for her 1999 Jeep and pay the rest later. However she moved and is nowhere to be found, leaving me with her car without her title. I went to the police station and got the lienholder's info which showed that it was located in another state. The interesting thing is that the stated lienholder, the bank, had no information whatsoever when I provided them the car's VIN number. What should I do? It's been more than a year that the car has been sitting on the parking lot without any news from the owner. Help!
sounds like she swiped the car and sold it to you. any day now she'll report it stolen herself and collect on the reward for that too
Old 01-12-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Help! I have a car without a title. What should I do?

Originally posted by black019

sounds like she swiped the car and sold it to you. any day now she'll report it stolen herself and collect on the reward for that too
Hmm. . .I dunno. My experience is that women who go to teach English in foreign countries aren't usually the types to jack cars, but I suppose there can be exceptions. Seems more likely she's just a scatterbrain who left some loose ends behind and probably has other things on her agenda. Although the bank-angle is weird, I admit.

Q: He said the bank that is supposedly the lienholder has no info. on the vehicle VIN#, but do they have any record of this woman at all? Now that would be odd, if they didn't. Also, you might have to be sure you're dealing with the same branch office she had the loan through, if it's in fact legit. (Amazing in this day & age, but many banks do not share this type of information between different branches).

The DMV should be able to help you sort it out if you explain the situation. (Amazing, but sometimes with the right approach, you CAN actually get customer service from the DMV! Not just the stuff of urban legend!)

Time to put on your private detective cap & get to work.

"Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts. . ."

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:43 AM

seems way shady. like **** from a movie or something...