General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

white wall tires

Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

white wall tires

would you guys ever put them on your whip? how bout the vip crowd? what do yall have to say?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by shakednbaked
would you guys ever put them on your whip? how bout the vip crowd? what do yall have to say?
Absolutely. I think it is a great look.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

damn it!!! how come everytime i have a good idea macklemore has to steal it.
i swear i didnt even know this was the name of the song.
though i also think it looks good so ill give him that. i think itll look good on a maxima with wire wheels....
Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by shakednbaked

No.

Are you under the notion that there is a "hellaflush jdm yo" "vip my whip" crowd here?

someone lied to you.

put whitewalls on this.

on a maxima will look like

Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM

id agree with Litch, whitewalls look good on old school cars until the mid-late 80s, anything newer it looks weird with a few exceptions
Old 11-22-2013, 07:33 PM

I would do it on a American muscle car but import cars would be weird
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

maybe u guys are right .... about those white walls at least. but i have no doubt about wire wheels on the older maximas. still its worth a shot so if i ever come through ill be sure to post a pic ohh n a middle finger emoticon to you litch u debbiedowner bahaha
Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 PM

Every gen before 5th could pull this off. Can't see them on newer Maximas.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

man thats exactly my thought, i think the older maximas with the more square body can pull off the vip/ luxury sedan look, nothing too crazy but i can see the maxima as the more generic q45
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 PM

Put em on and start a trend! In my opinion though, I'd leave them off... Import cars with whitewalls just doesn't go together.. Just my opinion though, gotta do what you think looks best
Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 AM

It would looks ridiculously stupid on a Maxima, what this, Pimp your Ride, a Caddy wanna be. Like most of those guys said, it good on old school cars of the 70's and 80's and very few in the 90's mostly found on Caddy of the yore
Old 06-07-2014, 02:31 AM

Back in the 1950s, when white walls were almost mandatory, I always mounted my new tires with the whitewall facing inside, because I liked the simple look.

I haven't had whitewalls on my car since I traded in my '49 Studebaker for a bottom-of-the-line '53 Chevy, which came with black tires. When I traded that Chevy for a '55 Pontiac Star Chief, the first thing I did was take the tires off all four wheels and mount the whitewalls toward the inside. I followed that procedure until my 70 Cutlass came with white letter tires, which I also turned inward.

I don't think I have ever seen a Maxima with white walls, except in photos online. I feel they would look really strange on any 5th, 6th or 7th gen Maxima. White letters or outline white letters might look OK on 5th and earlier gen Maximas.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Back in the 1950s, when white walls were almost mandatory, I always mounted my new tires with the whitewall facing inside, because I liked the simple look.

I haven't had whitewalls on my car since I traded in my '49 Studebaker for a bottom-of-the-line '53 Chevy, which came with black tires. When I traded that Chevy for a '55 Pontiac Star Chief, the first thing I did was take the tires off all four wheels and mount the whitewalls toward the inside. I followed that procedure until my 70 Cutlass came with white letter tires, which I also turned inward.

I don't think I have ever seen a Maxima with white walls, except in photos online. I feel they would look really strange on any 5th, 6th or 7th gen Maxima. White letters or outline white letters might look OK on 5th and earlier gen Maximas.
Why did they make whitewalls anyway? Was this for aesthetics?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 AM

^Most likely. I do not see much functionality.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM

Before my dad was diagnosed with dementia, I took him out and got him some new tires for his birthday…I’ll never forget when we pulled in to pick it up he was upset that they didn’t put on the whitewalls like he asked…WTF Dad, we didn’t order whitewalls.It should have been obvious to me when we checked in the car he told them it was a ’76, it was actually a ’06.Hardest thing I ever did was take the keys from him about 8 months later and I sold his last car…”Don’t get old”, best advice he ever gave me!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Before my dad was diagnosed with dementia, I took him out and got him some new tires for his birthday…I’ll never forget when we pulled in to pick it up he was upset that they didn’t put on the whitewalls like he asked…WTF Dad, we didn’t order whitewalls.It should have been obvious to me when we checked in the car he told them it was a ’76, it was actually a ’06.Hardest thing I ever did was take the keys from him about 8 months later and I sold his last car…”Don’t get old”, best advice he ever gave me!
My grandfather tells me that all the time. "Don't get old." I love that! Too bad I'm getting old. He would tell us that when we were ten and now I'm 26 and he still says it!

I love these white walls and the Cruella De Vil ride...

Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM

did this site turn to an 80s cadillac forum overnight??
Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Yuck for white lettering tires on any Maxima ...lol. Leave that for Trucks, older SUV's and some classic cars ex. 280zx's. they look good on the 82-83 280zx's.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:18 PM

I take it "whip" is car, to the young crowd?

I would never put a white wall on anything newer than the 70's.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by TexasTex

Agree.

A good while back, my ex's father had an old 71 Plymouth Dart with the 440 in it. Sunfire Yellow with Crager's and whitewall tires. Beautiful car.

Conversely, I saw an 05+ Mustang running around with whitewall tires the other day, and it looked dumber than all hell.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by TexasTex

I'm young but I've never heard of that term before.

I agree. I didn't realize what white walls were until I heard "diamond in the back, sunroof top..."
Old 06-12-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Agree.

A good while back, my ex's father had an old 71 Plymouth Dart with the 440 in it. Sunfire Yellow with Crager's and whitewall tires. Beautiful car.

Conversely, I saw an 05+ Mustang running around with whitewall tires the other day, and it looked dumber than all hell.
Yea, see!

And Good GOD! An 05' Stang with whitewalls? YUK!

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I'm young but I've never heard of that term before.

I agree. I didn't realize what white walls were until I heard "diamond in the back, sunroof top..."
I stand corrected. Well, you're from the same neck of the woods as I am, for the most part. It's probably a yankee or California thing?