General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Kinda regretting my online tire purchase decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:02 AM

Kinda regretting my online tire purchase decision

Wanting to know if anyone thinks I did the right thing. So, I decided I wanted to get some new tires...ones I had prior were Firestone primewells. They held up pretty good in all kinds of weather and long trips, but they were wearing down.

So, I wanted to look at other options this time. I've bought 3 sets of tires from Firestone over the years of owning cars. But I didn't see Firestone selling the primewells anymore. Plus I just got tired of feeling like I was going to get ripped off everytime I took my car in for a rotation. I was quoted a ridiculous amount for 1 tie rod last year, which didn't even include the alignment. So I really just hated going there. Plus, in my research I found a good site online (tire buyer) with free shipping and decent prices on tires. I was having fun pricing all the different possible tire sizes I could fit.

I ended up getting my 1st pair of directional >>>>> tires of a 'decent' brand. But the issue isn't the tires. It's more that I realized now, I don't have free rotations or road hazard warranty on the tires. And with me, I drive a lot...sometimes doing 7.5 oil changes every 2-3 months. So, I'm going to miss the free rotations, and have to find a different tire place to do it and pay them I also got the tire a bit small than the previous: a 205 on a 7 inch rim. I liked the 215's better But I wanted to get my speedometer and odo back right, It was off like 3 miles.

I have a 30 day buy and try on the ones I got, but I think it's just for that brand. I can't just return and get money back I don't think. But if I could, would it be crazy to do it, and then stick with the chain tire stores for what I need? I will say though, I was very happy with the deal I got on the tires. I looked at other stores and it would have cost far more.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 02-22-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's the thing with buying tires online. Better prices but no local support. Driving as much as you do, you would be better off to have a local tire place take care of you with all the rotations and road hazard issues you may come up with.

Talk to your local tire guy. He may be able to offer you some sort of tire maintenance plan.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:59 AM

There is a reason you pay a premium price locally.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

It's a good thing you drive so much...you'll be needing another set of tires soon and can go back to purchasing at a local chain with free rotations.

I don't know if you have these in your area, but Just Tires has competitive pricing and they provide free balance and rotations. You can also get road hazard protection as well if you wish.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Discount tire/Americas tire FTW. It is like $20 a tire for road hazard and free balance/rotation for the life of the tires. You pay a premiums but it come in handy to drop off your tires and drink a cup of coffee while they work on them. Sorry to hear about your issues. Perhaps put them up for sale and put the money towards a local shop?
Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 PM

If you can .. go to a Les Schwab store. My local Les Schwab will rotate/repair tires free even they were not bought there. I now buy all my tires at Les Schwab, and pay a premium, because their service cannot be beaten. IMHO puchase price is only part of the equation.

I have witnessed them quickly load up a truck with tires/wheels and dispatch it out into the desert in Northern Nevada to rescue a rancher pulling a trailer full of horses who had experienced multiple flat tires ... couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Live long, and prosper
Old 02-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by jlguru
If you can .. go to a Les Schwab store. My local Les Schwab will rotate/repair tires free even they were not bought there. I now buy all my tires at Les Schwab, and pay a premium, because their service cannot be beaten. IMHO puchase price is only part of the equation.

I have witnessed them quickly load up a truck with tires/wheels and dispatch it out into the desert in Northern Nevada to rescue a rancher pulling a trailer full of horses who had experienced multiple flat tires ... couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Live long, and prosper
Sounds like one of their commercials. Most people aren't going to know what Les Schwab is though.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Perhaps put them up for sale and put the money towards a local shop?
But then I'd have to buy another set first though right? There is a local shop in my area that charges like $12 for a rotation, balance is I think 40.

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Discount tire/Americas tire FTW. It is like $20 a tire for road hazard and free balance/rotation for the life of the tires.
do you think they allow you to pay for lifetime rotations/road hazard? Of course I can always do the try and buy feature, but wondering if it's worth the hassle.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Banned

sell your tires, than buy from local shop.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM

I think I would rather have my speedometer off than go smaller overall size on tires. But I can see both ways. I think I would have stayed with the 215 width, but dropped one level in profile, so that the outer diameter would drop, the speedo would be more accurate, the car would react more quickly to maneuvers, but the overall tire load capacity would have stayed somewhat near the same level, and the road contact area would have stayed the same.

Frequent tire rotations are possibly overrated. From the late 1940s until around 1970, I rotated every 5K miles. From around 1970 until around 1990, I rotated around every 10K. Since 1990, I have rotated every 15K, and my tires are wearing very evenly.

Of course things are relative. Tires lasted me only around 20K to 25K in the 1950s. By the 1980s, they were lasting me 30K to 35K. I now have 43K on my OEM 2009 Maxima tires with tread left.

I only balance when I detect a vibration of some sort at freeway speeds. I learned a long time ago that, unless the balancer knows exactly how to operate the equipment, the car can end up worse than before the balancing was done. Only Hunter Road Force balancing will work with 6th or 7th generation Maximas.

In your situation, you have much greater need for support than an everyday driver. I would be tempted to either sell the tires, or maybe try to trade them in toward tires at a shop with which you wish to build a business relationship.