General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

indiglo gauges installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 12:33 PM

indiglo gauges installation

I bought my indiglogauges for like 35 off ebay but I have no idea how to put them in. I called my neighborhood fix it guy and he said he would put them in for $60. Is that too much? I really would have no clue on how to put them in even with instructions but I aint trying to get RIPPED.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:27 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Find instructions on www.maximadriver.com

You can do it yourself easy.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:48 PM

installing these guages are very simple......dont give him the money!!!!! 60 dollars is way too much.....where do u live?? i'll do it for like 10 bucks (and i still feel like i'm ripping you off) all you have to do is take out the guage cluster and then put the guages on over the needles and then maybe use a small amount of double sided tape to hold it in....... for detailed instructions click this link .... http://www.seas.ucla.edu/%7Echeston/...loinstall.html
Old 01-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
installing these guages are very simple......dont give him the money!!!!! 60 dollars is way too much.....where do u live?? i'll do it for like 10 bucks (and i still feel like i'm ripping you off) all you have to do is take out the guage cluster and then put the guages on over the needles and then maybe use a small amount of double sided tape to hold it in....... for detailed instructions click this link .... http://www.seas.ucla.edu/%7Echeston/...loinstall.html
Thank you for posting the same link I did.

Do you ever type in complete sentences, with correct grammar?
Old 01-21-2002, 11:33 PM

its easy to put them in... but to get them to stay down without the needles sticking, now thats a different story. the screws that hold down the stock faces get taken out and there arent holes in the indiglo's.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:01 AM

Re: indiglo gauges installation

Originally posted by MrBlank
I bought my indiglogauges for like 35 off ebay but I have no idea how to put them in. I called my neighborhood fix it guy and he said he would put them in for $60. Is that too much? I really would have no clue on how to put them in even with instructions but I aint trying to get RIPPED.
Yeah $60 is still a rip off not to mention the satisfaction and experience youll gain from doing it yourself. FYI: most places in the DC Area do gauges for prices in upwards of $150-$200, now THAT is crazy.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:21 AM

Aight its done but now none of the sticks work. They get stuck all the time......grrrrrrrrrr
Anyone else have this problem?how do you fix it?
Old 01-22-2002, 09:34 AM

Aight its done but now none of the sticks work. They get stuck all the time......grrrrrrrrrr
You just need to make sure the overlays are laying as flat as possible. Very thin double sided tape works as well as glue stick. A lot of people have this problem, it's just a function of the needle not being able to rotate as freely due to slight tension from the new gauges.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by DCmax

You just need to make sure the overlays are laying as flat as possible. Very thin double sided tape works as well as glue stick. A lot of people have this problem, it's just a function of the needle not being able to rotate as freely due to slight tension from the new gauges.

I used a glue gun to keep it down.Dont know how much flatter it can get
Old 01-22-2002, 10:23 AM

I used a glue gun to keep it down.Dont know how much flatter it can get
Where did you glue? It needs it most towards the center of the gauge.

Also you may try to gently push down on the needles. The needles werent working on a friend's Prelude after we put in indiglo gauges but after pushing down on each needle, even when we thought it wasnt doing much, worked.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:35 PM

crazy glue works great because it dries fast and you can hold it down tight to the old faces while its drying... if i ever take them out i will get white overlays because the black faces will be messed up from the crazy glue
Old 01-22-2002, 03:10 PM

why do the indiglo 5/6 color gauges on custommaxima say only for the se model? is it because of the color of the needles or am i way off and missing the point.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:04 PM

Indiglo

I put the 5-6 color one in my car but i dont use it that much. The average lifespan of indiglo gauges is like 2 years. Something in the box burns out so I rarely use it. I think it still looks kool without it on. Be carful when putting it on. The needles could get messed up. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Indiglo

Originally posted by darksands
I put the 5-6 color one in my car but i dont use it that much. The average lifespan of indiglo gauges is like 2 years. Something in the box burns out so I rarely use it. I think it still looks kool without it on. Be carful when putting it on. The needles could get messed up. Good luck.
how do you not use it? where did you connect the power source to a switch? with mine i have them so when i turn on my parking lights they come on... did you leave the bulbs in the gauges then? i only left the ones by the odometers
Old 01-22-2002, 06:54 PM

I installed mine w/o glue. It was very difficult, but if you're careful you can take an awl and gently make a pilot hole for the factory screws to go back in. This way none of my needles gets stuck at all, except the temp gauge just before it gets to the middle. Reason is because on that gauge, the factory screw would have gone on top of the contact strip, so I had to position it a hair off and so it doesn't lay as flat in the middle. But all in all, the gauges work perfectly.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

I installed mine w/o glue. It was very difficult, but if you're careful you can take an awl and gently make a pilot hole for the factory screws to go back in. This way none of my needles gets stuck at all, except the temp gauge just before it gets to the middle. Reason is because on that gauge, the factory screw would have gone on top of the contact strip, so I had to position it a hair off and so it doesn't lay as flat in the middle. But all in all, the gauges work perfectly.
it doesnt mess up the indiglo if you make holes in it? i was gonna do that but they i was thinking wait, i dont want to mess anything up... they should have just made holes in them in the first place
Old 01-22-2002, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by JoesMAX

it doesnt mess up the indiglo if you make holes in it? i was gonna do that but they i was thinking wait, i dont want to mess anything up... they should have just made holes in them in the first place
It didn't on mine. These were the first I ever installed, so now that I think about it it probably would of been much easier to use some kind of glue. Oh well, you live and learn. Really, mine are working fine and no sticking at all, except for the above mentioned temp gauge dilema.