General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Road Killed by a really rare car ... kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 10:48 PM

Well the story goes as so.. i went to starbucks to get some "coffee" - then i saw the prices and then opened my wallet to find moths.. so i go to good ole dunkin donuts it is .. so i offed my coffee...

i get out on western drive up to the light - its like 500ft down the road, i get to the light feelin nice and warm inside... then a Dodge Omni pulls next to me rolls back and revs... i wasnt in anykinda mood so i didnt look over right away, i heard him rev again and so i snickered and looked over... this guys lookin over at me and he has a sh_t eating grin on his face... so whatever... the light turns green and cars keep coming down western ave. so i figure ill drive down the street to the next light and pull behind the sunoco and go up that way, so we both drive to the next light but this time he kept honkin his horn.. so at that light i roll my window down to see if he wanted anything - he asks me if this is a Real Maxima GTR- i got pissed so i said is that a real Dodge ****box.. he casually says faster than that grocery getter.. we both roll our windows up and i give a friendly I'll show you grocery getter rev, he laughs and revs.......
for some reason i got anxious at this light red melts into green... and we are off... this guy smoked my *** so bad it wasnt funny he had me at the light kind of like the supra at E town.. well when he passed me i saw three letters on his License plate fade smaller and smaller those letters were GLH .... so there you have it.

I got smoked like turkey by a dodge omni GLH those are indeed a rare car. So is the Dodge Spirit RT.

Well now im thinkin about an SC, too bad muh max is a 99 .. prolly wont happen cuz of that...

watch out for those sleepers!!
http://web.missouri.edu/~apcb20/times.html
added another link
http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/shelbydodge/

[Edited by Stillnmax on 11-13-2000 at 01:08 AM]
Old 11-12-2000, 11:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sorry to say but you just got called out. Those Omni GLH(goes like hell) are pretty fast out of the box and of course can be modded to turn up the boost. There is even a shop that specializes in these cars. They look damn ugly but... What can I say? If you have a GT-R badge, I just think you had better back it up w/ something like a SC at least. Honestly that's the way I feel about my mustang rims too. But I would probably give a mustang a run for it's money though.

Originally posted by Stillnmax
Well the story goes as so.. i went to starbucks to get some "coffee" - then i saw the prices and then opened my wallet to find moths.. so i go to good ole dunkin donuts it is .. so i offed my coffee...

i get out on western drive up to the light - its like 500ft down the road, i get to the light feelin nice and warm inside... then a Dodge Omni pulls next to me rolls back and revs... i wasnt in anykinda mood so i didnt look over right away, i heard him rev again and so i snickered and looked over... this guys lookin over at me and he has a sh_t eating grin on his face... so whatever... the light turns green and cars keep coming down western ave. so i figure ill drive down the street to the next light and pull behind the sunoco and go up that way, so we both drive to the next light but this time he kept honkin his horn.. so at that light i roll my window down to see if he wanted anything - he asks me if this is a Real Maxima GTR- i got pissed so i said is that a real Dodge ****box.. he casually says faster than that grocery getter.. we both roll our windows up and i give a friendly I'll show you grocery getter rev, he laughs and revs.......
for some reason i got anxious at this light red melts into green... and we are off... this guy smoked my *** so bad it wasnt funny he had me at the light kind of like the supra at E town.. well when he passed me i saw three letters on his License plate fade smaller and smaller those letters were GLH .... so there you have it.

I got smoked like turkey by a dodge omni GLH those are indeed a rare car. So is the Dodge Spirit RT.

Well now im thinkin about an SC, too bad muh max is a 99 .. prolly wont happen cuz of that...

added another link

Old 11-12-2000, 11:59 PM

Damn that **** box, who cares how many women can he get with his **** box. your car looks a million times better.
Old 11-13-2000, 12:08 AM

thas true

point made.. but my badge still looks bad@$$ =)

i just now realized how ricey it is..... o well
i guess ill take some chicken with that

yea i didnt think i would see a GLH around these parts - just goes to show you...

there are some interesting sleepers.. *cough*MAXIMA*cough*
Old 11-13-2000, 04:38 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

surprised a GLH lasted this long. They are

pocket rockets! BTW, the omni is a grocery getter too - just tuned by Shelby.
Old 11-13-2000, 08:53 AM

theres a dodge spirit RT on my street, a college kid owns it and doesnt take care of it at all. the ground effects are all broken and popping off and its always dirty as hell. Ive heard those things are pretty quick too.
Old 11-13-2000, 09:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree. With a GT-R Badge. You better bet putting out 276 to the crank. =) Thats why I don't put any stickers or anything on my car. =) The GT-R Badge does look bad *** though..

ZuM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
[I]Sorry to say but you just got called out. Those Omni GLH(goes like hell) are pretty fast out of the box and of course can be modded to turn up the boost. There is even a shop that specializes in these cars. They look damn ugly but... What can I say? If you have a GT-R badge, I just think you had better back it up w/ something like a SC at least. Honestly that's the way I feel about my mustang rims too. But I would probably give a mustang a run for it's money though.
Old 11-13-2000, 10:53 AM
STFU n00b!

yup yup.. I had an encounter with a Spirit RT a while back.. was driving down Memorial drive in tulsa (where all the high schoolers cruise every night).. he was pulling out of one of the wal-marts (there's 3 on this road in 5 miles) I blew him off because of the 10" fart pipe on the back.. well, next thing I hear this "SCREEEECH wAAAAAHHHHH!" and he comes flying by me..
I thinking "yeah, I can do that with a 5k launch on a 5 spd too)...
I disreguad the kid and keep driving.. next thing I know, I'm next to him at a light.. he keeps revving me (which you can hear about 5 miles away because of the exhaust)..
I look over.. there's NO interior other than the driver's seat.. whaa? what the hell did this kid do to this $hitbox?! (I had no clue what a Spirit RT was before now, BTW).. I pretend to blow him off, and while he's not lookin I drop the auto down to 1st and stick my left foot on the brake.. toruw to about 1300rpm ( you can barely hear it in my car).. light turns green and I slowly bury my foot so not to get any chirp.. then I hear him.. "Chirp WAAAAAAHHHH PSSSHT! CHIIRP! WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH PSSSHT CHIRP!" by 40mph, he's already about 40 feet and 2 gears ahead of me..

that little red $hitbox has my respect!
Old 11-13-2000, 11:57 AM

Those little GLH's can run mad fast with just a few 100 $$'s in mods.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:22 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Was it a black one with an older guy driving it?

There was a guy up at MIR this weekend with one. It's basically the Dodge Daytona Turbo 4 engine.

Originally posted by Stillnmax

added another link

Old 11-13-2000, 01:36 PM

muwhahahaha!! hehe

Don't EVER race someone who has a **** eating grin on their face and is 100% confident they can whoop your ***.. especially if they are rolling in a POS ... those usually end up being the real sleepers who kick the **** out of you and your left going... whhhhaaaa??.. there is a guy with an old spirit 2.2L Turbo here in town.. runs the track 13.8 or less.. I forget... looks like ****.. even has the luggage rack on the trunk!! muwhahaha...
btw.. I think some of those omni's and stuff are perfect for late model DSM swaps.. they stuff eclipse turbo motors in em and go around eating up unsuspecting GTR badged folks .. hehe
btw.. grass roots motorsports project $1500 challenge.. these guys had the fastest ET in a shelby tuned turbo minivan!!! not ******** you... watch out for the sleeper.. hehe my fav kind of vehicle (psssstttt working on one myself.. can't say what though mmmmm)
Old 11-13-2000, 01:44 PM

OOOPS! The cat is out of the bag....

Glad you guys finally are in on the turbo Dodge secret! Ive got a GLH Turbo that is worked over to the hilt that should run 11's @ 120 mph very shortly and is a total street car. My father has a mint Spirit R/T that is almost 100% stock that sucks the doors clean off my 2k SE.

Thats it.....Im not giving out any more Turbo Dodge secrets
Old 11-13-2000, 03:53 PM

Well the Spirit R/T puts out more power than a 2k(224hp) and prolly weighs a lot less. No surprise it could beat a Max.
Old 11-13-2000, 04:16 PM

Those Chrysler turbocharged cars from the 80s are pretty powerful. I don't how fast it is for the Spirit RT, but I know for sure that it is way faster than a Maxima. That Spirit RT, I believe, has the Gen II turbo in it and is easily upgradeable.

I used to have a 85 LeBaron GTS with the turbo back in the early days of college (can't remember whether that's a 2.2 or 2.4). That thing can snap your neck if you really step on the gas pedal. I also love the sound of the turbocharger as well. Never got the same feel in my Maxima -> not fast enough.

And my honey, if you are reading this: I want a TURBOCHARGED car.
Old 11-13-2000, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Black VQ
Well the Spirit R/T puts out more power than a 2k(224hp) and prolly weighs a lot less. No surprise it could beat a Max.
The engine is underrated from the factory at 224 hp. Actual dyno tests bone stock showed about 210 wheel hp and 210 ft lb at the wheels. With just a few tiny mods, it now puts down about 230 hp/238 ft lb to the wheels. I weighed the R/T and it tips the scales at about 3000 lb dry, or about 200 lb less than my 2k SE. The engine in the Spirit R/T is referred to as the "Turbo III" variant, and is a 16V head coupled with a T3 Garrett turbo. Bone stock it can easily make over 300 hp with just some larger injectors and a manual boost controller.

Unfortunately this car serves up a big dish of Humble Pie to my modded 2K SE. Oh well...gotta love turbos!

[Edited by madmax2k on 11-13-2000 at 09:57 PM]
Old 11-14-2000, 06:11 AM
95MAXSE5S

Memorial ave! That brings back memories. I'm origanaly from T-Town too. I currently live in San Diego though. There's a few Tulsa boys on here I've noticed in my 3 hours of surfing. I can't wait to get back home.

Old 11-14-2000, 09:02 AM

Yeh, POS's can sometimes Surprise you. If you ever hit the Philly illegals, there are all kinds of garbage cars that are fast as hell. There is one particular 80's gm wagon that runs 10's. No interior, full cage, three inch exhaust. At Cecil County Drags, I saw a early model Dodge Caravan that ran low 13's. It's a turbo engine, probably the same as the Omni. Crazy Crazy. You never know.
Old 11-14-2000, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd rather have a slow Maxima than a fast Omni. There's more to a car then just going fast.

Jim
Old 11-14-2000, 01:30 PM

THe GLH was sick, but the rarer GLH S was just evil. The interesting thng about those Chrysler cars is that they are so inbred, you can bolt together a 13 second omni for a minmal amount of money.

Bottom line is that it's still an Omni. Fun to drag and autocross, but not my idea of a great daily driver.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by JJW95SC
I'd rather have a slow Maxima than a fast Omni. There's more to a car then just going fast.

Jim
The best idea is have one of each (See signature below.........)
Old 11-15-2000, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by go_speed_go
THe GLH was sick, but the rarer GLH S was just evil. The interesting thng about those Chrysler cars is that they are so inbred, you can bolt together a 13 second omni for a minmal amount of money.

Bottom line is that it's still an Omni. Fun to drag and autocross, but not my idea of a great daily driver.
A GLHS and about $200 will net you a high 12 second car. Amazing bang for the buck. The GLHS is intercooled, while the GLH is not.

My GLH is a total hybrid. Basically, the only thing that is like the original GLH is the body. Its built with almost all factory parts (even rods, pistons, crank), but Ive got a few goodies in there.....Should run 11's @ 120 mph (No...it doesnt have nitrous) or so and still be a full street car that Ill take to work once a week and cruise around on the weekends looking for trouble in.
Old 11-17-2000, 07:19 AM

A visit to Tampa is in order. Somebody is having way too much fun.

Originally posted by madmax2k
Originally posted by go_speed_go

A GLHS and about $200 will net you a high 12 second car. Amazing bang for the buck. The GLHS is intercooled, while the GLH is not.

My GLH is a total hybrid. Basically, the only thing that is like the original GLH is the body. Its built with almost all factory parts (even rods, pistons, crank), but Ive got a few goodies in there.....Should run 11's @ 120 mph (No...it doesnt have nitrous) or so and still be a full street car that Ill take to work once a week and cruise around on the weekends looking for trouble in.