General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Starting Problems When Cold. -Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 07:24 AM
1997maxGLE

Starting Problems When Cold. -Help!!

Hi: I have noticed a lot of max owners with this same problem: after the car sits for several hours, it takes 3-4 cranks to get it running. I don't think it's fuel pressure related. Has anyone had this problem solved by putting in the aftermarket, 10 - tooth starter? This is an upgrade from the factory (8-tooth) and newer max's now have 10. The idea is more torque is needed to start when cold. I just don't want to throw the $$ at it if it doesn't help.

Old 01-22-2002, 08:21 AM

I have that problem every so often when starting an engine after being parked for a couple hours. A hot start or total cold start is always fine, but these "warm" starts I get the extended cranking problem. Car always starts out though.

Do a search for "coolant temp sending unit" for a possible explaination discussed about a year ago.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:59 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Bulliten on Starts

I had my car in to my local Nissan dealer to resurface my front rotors last week and noticed a bullitin on the counter that read something like this:

Starting Issues:
If the vehicle experiences hard starts do the follow procedure to start the car:
Depress the accellerator peddal more then 1/2 way down and hold it there while cranking. Once the car starts, release the accellerator peddal.

I just laughed on my way out the door. But hey, ya never know.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Bulliten on Starts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by njmaxseltd
[B]
Starting Issues:
If the vehicle experiences hard starts do the follow procedure to start the car:
Depress the accellerator peddal more then 1/2 way down and hold it there while cranking. Once the car starts, release the accellerator peddal.QUOTE]

You know, this was the only way I could start my car sometimes last winter... but it shouldn't have to be this way. In any case, with the TB clean, I'm good to go on the first start this winter...and no gas pedal neither.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:51 PM

This is typical for cold winter starts and there's a simple solution

Add some water remover...
just recently I too experienced hard cold starts and it's very common to do with the quality of the gas. After I added some water remover Brrrum... she starts up with less than half a second of cranking!! In the winter its a good idea to add some water remover w/every tank refill. Water condensing in the storage tanks at the gas station is to blame.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:56 PM

Re: Starting Problems When Cold. -Help!!

i had the same problems with my maxima! i brought it to my mechanic and the problem is all gone! i'd tell you to send it to the same guy cause he's awesome and completely honest..but you live in New York and I live in New Orleans.... but anyway... it only cost a few hundred dollars (under 1000) i don't know the exact amount cause i had another problem that was also in the bill and i don't remember the difference. BUT it had to do with a few bad wires and a couple of other things all munched together! good luck!!
Old 01-24-2002, 12:02 PM
1997maxGLE

Well, it cost more than I wanted to spend right now, but after checking all kinds of "potential" contributors to my problem, my mechanic installed the new starter. Now all I have to do is give the key a funny look while it's in the ignition and it fires up like a champ. I'll save my receipt and hope for a recall!
Hey, like I mentioned before, they're putting the upgraded starters into the new Max's.