General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wanna lessen resonance with Y and catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 12:35 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Wanna lessen resonance with Y and catback?

I finally got sick of the loud resonance with a catback exhaust (GReddy in my case) and Y.

I removed the two small resonators after the main cat and replaced it with a 4" x 22" 2.5" Magnaflow muffler (straight thru, perforated core). It decreased the sound a bit but not enough for me so I relocated one of the small resonators (smaller of the 2) to the section just in front of the rear tire. Now I'm back to sound levels before the Y again.

I know those with expensive catback systems don't want to cut up your CARB exhausts but I couldn't stand the noise anymore. Those with the Stillen B can do this addition.

BTW - muffler was about $50 (part only)
Old 01-23-2002, 09:16 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Wanna lessen resonance with Y and catback?

Originally posted by Chunger
I finally got sick of the loud resonance with a catback exhaust (GReddy in my case) and Y.

I removed the two small resonators after the main cat and replaced it with a 4" x 22" 2.5" Magnaflow muffler (straight thru, perforated core). It decreased the sound a bit but not enough for me so I relocated one of the small resonators (smaller of the 2) to the section just in front of the rear tire. Now I'm back to sound levels before the Y again.

I know those with expensive catback systems don't want to cut up your CARB exhausts but I couldn't stand the noise anymore. Those with the Stillen B can do this addition.

BTW - muffler was about $50 (part only)
It seems like a lot of work just to get the sound levels back down. IMO, all the resonators and mufflers probably negated the marginal power increase of the Greddy muffler itself. I use to have a HKS muffler teamed with my Y-pipe, Courtesy B-pipe, and HKS intake. I too couldn't stand the drone so I sold the muffler and went back to stock. My car was no slower in the 1/4 mile. I dare say it might have be a little quicker (according to the timeslips).

I have a Warpspeed Y-pipe, HKS intake, and Stillen B-pipe and my car has absolutely no drone plus my muffler has a sweet mellow burble at idle. Personally, I don't think I need a resonator on my B-pipe because my car is so quiet. You're probably correct in that if you have the Stillen B-pipe teamed with a aftermarket muffler, you'll probably want a resonator of some type.

My guess is a lot of people like the look of the aftermarket mufflers so they are willing to modify them so they aren't so loud. I painted my stock muffler flat bakc and added a 3" stainless tip to give it a slightly sporty look.

It's nice to have a quieter Max now, isn't it?

Dave
Old 01-23-2002, 11:06 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Wanna lessen resonance with Y and catback?

Originally posted by Dave B

It's nice to have a quieter Max now, isn't it?

Dave
At least quieter in my case...I'm sure i'm not as quiet as your car. I would have like to use the 2K muffler but I don't want a double tip.

We must be getting OLD, Dave!
Old 01-23-2002, 11:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have a Cattman Y on it's 2nd flex!arrrg! custom cat-back and a Y2k Muffler. Aside from the Y noise, the system is super quiet. I haven't the need for even one resonator.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:30 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I have a Cattman Y on it's 2nd flex!arrrg! custom cat-back and a Y2k Muffler. Aside from the Y noise, the system is super quiet. I haven't the need for even one resonator.
I think that any chambered aftermarket/stock exhaust avoids the drone... The Apex WS is supposed to be quiet (chambered also IIRC). I just like the rolled tip of the Greddy more.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:35 AM

before the Greddy fucuz mufflers look 3x better. Overtime, i grown to love the greddy.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:57 PM

With any catback and straight through muffler like Apex or Greddy, the y-pipe is loud. I have a Greddy Catback and sold my y-pipe because I could not stand the noise. Now I wish I had kept the y-pipe and put on a stock muffler. Oh well. Now I'm married and have no money for modding.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

I hear you buddy. I buy the wife a 2000 RX300 and she says "why do you spend so much $ on your car?" Excuse me??? We just spent over $30k on yours. haha.

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
Oh well. Now I'm married and have no money for modding.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I hear you buddy. I buy the wife a 2000 RX300 and she says "why do you spend so much $ on your car?" Excuse me??? We just spent over $30k on yours. haha.

Does that raise your mod budget to $30K Jeff?

Married, no money for mods... yeah, I hear that. Kids screw up mod money as well.....

Old 01-24-2002, 03:23 PM

Please... turn the radio up.

You think thats loud.. try me at IDLE.. my V1's gotta be among the loudest. The thinner CF hood probably isnt helping.

Also, Dave B.. Chunger (and me) is boosting.. i think having more thruput capability in those cituations might be different than stock.

Sometimes when im ****ed off i kinda like the greddy sound
Old 02-16-2002, 11:19 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Finally got a picture of the GReddy resonator relocated in front of rear passenger tire...