General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need an ALARM.. Opinions PLEASE...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 01:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I need an ALARM.. Opinions PLEASE...

Well the time has come that I am very nervous about leaving my car anywhere so I am looking into buying an aftermarket alarm.

The Viper 800 ESP has tweeked my interest because it has a lot of options and seems to be pretty popular. I don't know pricing on it and couldn't find much with search function. Information on this alarm would be helpful (besides www.viper.com).

I don't know much about Clifford or any of the others, but if people would like to give some information and PRICING I'd greatly appreciate it.

jason
Old 01-26-2002, 03:25 PM

I would suggest Clifford all the way. I've owned one on my old car and that thing was great. It has two ignition and fuel cutoffs and they are wireless so the thief cannot trace them. Also, the siren has a backup battery so that if the thief cuts the wire, it still wails. And you can add on to them making the system grow with your needs. They ususally start at about $499 installed.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:43 PM

alarms dont work!

They might deter a joyrider but they are easily passible in seconds.

If you are serious about keeping your car, get lojack!

If your still paranoid, wire in a kill switch yourself to the starter or ignition for under $20.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check this out....

Click here. This is a great alarm. Lots of shock senors and the LCD remote is SWEET! My friend has it on his 2000 Maxima. Bought it from this site for $186 and paid $200 for a local shop to install it . I know the installation price is high but it has A LOT of feature to be connected and the alarm is already $300+ off so it;s not a bad deal.
-Cyrus
Old 01-26-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Check this out....

Originally posted by Vyrus
Click here. This is a great alarm. Lots of shock senors and the LCD remote is SWEET! My friend has it on his 2000 Maxima. Bought it from this site for $186 and paid $200 for a local shop to install it . I know the installation price is high but it has A LOT of feature to be connected and the alarm is already $300+ off so it;s not a bad deal.
-Cyrus
a friend of mine has that system.. he paid 250 installed, a week later 2 shock sensors broke and my old stereo setup could set off the sensors when they are at there least sensitive point.

I know that alarms have no real function, but lately at my apartment complex people's windows have been gettin bashed and stereos have been yanked. I want something like the Viper 800 that offers a lot of features, like window controls, keyless entry, and the possible airbag suspension controls as well.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:07 PM

I would go with the clifford, their alarms are virtually bullet proof, I had the avant guard 4 installed on my old maxima and that thing was sweet. Everything is adjustable from the remote.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:58 PM

Go with the Viper or Clifford alarm system. Both is owned by the largest aftermarket alarm corporation DEI. Viper has lots of features and very reliable. Just make sure you go to a competent installer. It makes it so much better.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:58 PM

sounds like a viper 800 for me then.. i like "accessories"

thanks all.

anybody know of good places online to purchase this alarm? or does anyone know ANYONE who sells these?
Old 01-26-2002, 09:44 PM

I have the viper 800. Love it, got most of the bells and whistle's w/ it. All 4 windows go up and down, trunk, close my sunroof w/ it. could have gotten it to do more, but I couldn't think of anything. Oh yea...a proximity sensor is nice too
Old 01-26-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Supa Lao
I have the viper 800. Love it, got most of the bells and whistle's w/ it. All 4 windows go up and down, trunk, close my sunroof w/ it. could have gotten it to do more, but I couldn't think of anything. Oh yea...a proximity sensor is nice too
where did you get the alarm and how much?
Old 01-26-2002, 11:19 PM

I was looking at alarms a few weeks back as I plan on getting one in the near future. A few months back someone broke into my car and tried stealing it ( I had an OLLDDDD DEI on it without the siren hooked up!!) They didn't get it but did enough damage. But at least they didn't get it. When I was looking around one shop recommended a clifford to me. One feature it had that I think is going to make me get it is called the "blackjack". Basically it prevents losing your car to car jacking or even when someone steals it by making you input a 4 digit code every time the door is opened. There's two tiny black buttons. You set it for a 4 digit code say... 2244. You press the left button 2 times then the right 4 times. (or something like that - i forget... it's late). If you don't do it in 10 seconds it beeps reminding you. if you don't do it in another 10 secs it shuts the car down. I like that =) Even if someone stole the car via car jacking or just stealing it while parked they won't get more than 20 seconds away before the car shuts down. The only downside is you have to do it everytime the car door is opened but hey - a small price to pay for security.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:29 AM

i dont know about brands, but check ebay and install yourself

you can get great deals there.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

where did you get the alarm and how much?
I got the alarm at Circuit City, but since I work there, I got a little discount on the alarm and install
Old 01-27-2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Supa Lao

I got the alarm at Circuit City, but since I work there, I got a little discount on the alarm and install
i know a few guys who work at circuit city.. so i'll call them up..

i have no interest in a pin code everytime i open my door, i think id throw up..

thanks for all opinions guys..
Old 01-27-2002, 11:49 AM

clifford is sounding real good to me......but how much do they run for?? - with a few bells and whistles attached
Old 01-27-2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
clifford is sounding real good to me......but how much do they run for?? - with a few bells and whistles attached
Cliffords start at about $499. Most of their alarms come with remote start. I had the Avant Guard 4 ($999 starting) which was their top of the line system. It has everything. I can roll my windows up and down, open and close the sunroof, lock and unlock the doors, turn the lights on and off, turn the stereo on and off, and pop the trunk with the remote. It also turns your headlights on for you at night and in inclement weather, has built in memory seats, and a turbo timer. It also has Short Stop, which lets you keep the car running if you go into the store, but you can take the key with you and lock the doors. It uses a two stage proximity sensor that will intelligently warn you if it feels threatened. There are many other sensors that you can add on.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:39 PM

cartoys.com the avant guard 4 is like $500 i think, check yourself.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:45 PM

yall are crazy, you can get alarms for <100

seriously look at ebay and do the install yourself. install is time consuming but not hard at all. some of them are pretty cool looking too.