General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New heatshield design for the 4th gen, $4 mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 06:51 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

New heatshield design for the 4th gen, $4 mod

Check it out fellas. I've been running a heatshield with my HKS intake for about a year now. The design was simple. It sealed off the intake filter from the engine by way of using a piece of sheet metal that went from the strut tower to the battery. The heatshield worked pretty effectively and kept a lot of radient heat away from the filter. A new heatshield design popped into my head. It is FAR easier to make and seems to do a much better job. With my HKS filter sitting in the stock lower airbox, I took a peice of sheet metal and formed it around the filter like a 1/2 circle. The metal has enough resistance that it holds itself in place by the walls of the lower airbox. The back side of the filter acts as a shield itself. By using the lower airbox, air is funneled to the filter (below) and keeps air moving. I've also got another air source on the drivers side of the lower airbox which is a 2.5" vacumn hose that runs from the airbox to behind the drivers side headlight. It draws air from behind the headlight and up from the bumper. This should work on all POP style intakes for a 4th gen, as far as I know. The sheetmetal (28 gauge) is available at Home Depot for $4. Take a look at the pic. It should answer all your questions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...s/DCP_0057.JPG

Dave
Old 01-27-2002, 06:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

good idea, weird looking setup.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: New heatshield design for the 4th gen, $4 mod

Just curious: what is all that extra tubing/hardware you have in your engine bay? (around tb/intake manifold)
Old 01-27-2002, 07:10 PM

Re: Re: New heatshield design for the 4th gen, $4 mod

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Just curious: what is all that extra tubing/hardware you have in your engine bay? (around tb/intake manifold)

it looks like it replaces the breather lines.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

All the extra tubing is from whne I removed the intake resonator. I joined the breather lines from both valve covers and hooked them together into 1.

BTW, with this heatsheild, the intake growl is lessened to a degree. I like the idea of having less sound, unlike most guys in here who get pretty excited about having the loudest setup. I guess I'm getting old.

Dave
Old 01-27-2002, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
All the extra tubing is from whne I removed the intake resonator. I joined the breather lines from both valve covers and hooked them together into 1.

BTW, with this heatsheild, the intake growl is lessened to a degree. I like the idea of having less sound, unlike most guys in here who get pretty excited about having the loudest setup. I guess I'm getting old.

Dave
yes you are
Old 01-27-2002, 10:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dave

That setup looks kind of restricive? Maybe it's just my bad judgement, but I like to have a filter with nothing next to it.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by emax95

That setup looks kind of restricive? Maybe it's just my bad judgement, but I like to have a filter with nothing next to it.
ya my heatshield is gonna be different design.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by emax95

That would answer the drop in the intake noise. Any vacuum device will pull air from anyplace it can. So if you control the the airflow, you will restrict it to a point.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Kevlo for President

i think it is a good idea i want it a little quieter
Old 01-28-2002, 03:08 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

On the HKS intake, it's a "mushroom" filter. It draws air from the sides and from the front. There is about 1/4" of space between the filter top and the shield, but 80% of the surface area of the filter is still open and away from any "walls". On the bottom, the filter lays in the box with the stock inlet tube feeding it from below. As you can see in the pic, the entire driver's side portion is wide open along with being feed by another 2.5" hose. I doubt it's a very restrictive setup because my car feels just as powerful as before. The sound is less raspy and you hear more of the deep growl now. Seeing that much of the intake is still open, I don't see how the intake could be "choked". There are numerous spots for incoming air. I doubt the VQ sucks in near the amount of air the surface area of these cone style filters provide. I use to run the OSCAI on my car which only still used the primary entry intake which is 2" X 3" (where it meets the airbox). With that setup, my car made 175fwhp and 194fwtq. With the HKS intake, my car made 176fwhp and 194fwtq. The difference between the intakes was the ability of the HKS to hold onto the power a bit longer than the OSCAI. I ran my best et, 14.73@94mph, with the OSCAI. If the VQ can breath thru a 2" X 3" intake opening, I doubt these huge filters we use get put to full use. Another point I'd like to make is that since the POP intake is a open setup (not enclosed in a box), it doesn't create a "void" or empty spot in the air. What's used up is replaced immediately by the atmosphere. With the stock intake, there is a bit of a void at the upper rpms as seen by my dyno plot.

Now if you had a filter like the one used on the FrankenCar intake and you built a heatshield around it, you may loose some power because the filter on FCI doesn't draw from the front nor is it bullet or mushroom shaped.

I came up with this heatshield design after seeing many of the Comptech and upper end intakes available for Honda/Acuras and domestic performance cars. I wouldn't recoomend building a "wall" style heatshield unless you've still got a inlet pipe feeding the filter.

These are all just my opinions because I don't have a degree in airflow. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm missing something.

Dave
Old 01-28-2002, 05:45 PM

On the HKS intake, it's a "mushroom" filter. It draws air from the sides and from the front. There is about 1/4" of space between the filter top and the shield, but 80% of the surface area of the filter is still open and away from any "walls". On the bottom, the filter lays in the box with the stock inlet tube feeding it from below. As you can see in the pic, the entire driver's side portion is wide open along with being feed by another 2.5" hose. I doubt it's a very restrictive setup because my car feels just as powerful as before. The sound is less raspy and you hear more of the deep growl now. Seeing that much of the intake is still open, I don't see how the intake could be "choked". There are numerous spots for incoming air. I doubt the VQ sucks in near the amount of air the surface area of these cone style filters provide. I use to run the OSCAI on my car which only still used the primary entry intake which is 2" X 3" (where it meets the airbox). With that setup, my car made 175fwhp and 194fwtq. With the HKS intake, my car made 176fwhp and 194fwtq. The difference between the intakes was the ability of the HKS to hold onto the power a bit longer than the OSCAI. I ran my best et, 14.73@94mph, with the OSCAI. If the VQ can breath thru a 2" X 3" intake opening, I doubt these huge filters we use get put to full use. Another point I'd like to make is that since the POP intake is a open setup (not enclosed in a box), it doesn't create a "void" or empty spot in the air. What's used up is replaced immediately by the atmosphere. With the stock intake, there is a bit of a void at the upper rpms as seen by my dyno plot.

Now if you had a filter like the one used on the FrankenCar intake and you built a heatshield around it, you may loose some power because the filter on FCI doesn't draw from the front nor is it bullet or mushroom shaped.

I came up with this heatshield design after seeing many of the Comptech and upper end intakes available for Honda/Acuras and domestic performance cars. I wouldn't recoomend building a "wall" style heatshield unless you've still got a inlet pipe feeding the filter.

These are all just my opinions because I don't have a degree in airflow. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm missing something.

Dave
we actuallly switched to a more bullet shaped intake if you look at the altima pics on the site. also we are designing our shield differently