General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

?ghost in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 07:49 AM

?ghost in my car?

What's up people. I have 5th gen and was wondering if anybody else had/have a problem w/ their factory alarm goin off about every half hour? I had to disconnect the battery over night because of it. Well, I took it in for warranty work for 24hrs, they said they couldn't find anything wrong w/ it..Hhhmmm? Hopefully it'll never happen again.. The dealership was real cool. They made everything pleasant. Just wanted to vent. Peace.
Dan
Old 01-29-2002, 09:11 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Hmm.... If it happens again I would think that it is a sensor problem. This may sound like a few wierd questions but...

Your car been hit lately? Electrical storms in the area? Was anything done to your car very recently?

Could be a stuck relay. Next time it happens drive it to the dealership.. Sounds nuts, but if the problem is happening when you take your car there , they can start troubleshooting the problem.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:33 AM

Re: ?ghost in my car?

Originally posted by GordanLu
What's up people. I have 5th gen and was wondering if anybody else had/have a problem w/ their factory alarm goin off about every half hour? I had to disconnect the battery over night because of it. Well, I took it in for warranty work for 24hrs, they said they couldn't find anything wrong w/ it..Hhhmmm? Hopefully it'll never happen again.. The dealership was real cool. They made everything pleasant. Just wanted to vent. Peace.
Dan
This has been reported by other owners as well. Check to make sure you didn't leave any of the interior lights on (map lights, etc). Apparently the alarm will go off if you leave lights on in the car.

Stereodude
Old 01-29-2002, 09:40 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yep.. map light..

bet dollars to doughnuts thats your problem. Even tho the battery saver cuts off the light in a few mins or the bulb could be out, it will still set the alarm off in short time. Mine actually takes about 2 hours. we have concluded it shouldnt do that (schematic), but it does on 2k models. 2k1 owners don't seem to have that 'feature'.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: ?ghost in my car?

Originally posted by Stereodude
This has been reported by other owners as well. Check to make sure you didn't leave any of the interior lights on (map lights, etc). Apparently the alarm will go off if you leave lights on in the car.

Stereodude
Sounds odd. Why would the lights affect it? Just to let you know it was left on so you will shut it off?

SuDZ
Old 01-29-2002, 10:48 AM

It wasn't any of the lights..I checked. I also checked doors, trunk, hood being closed properly. The dealership said they'll troubleshoot it but they're was nothin wrong w/ it...hhhmmm. They said it could be a bad remote in my situation. Maybe but I dout it. My max is working fine today. Oh yeah, there was no electrical storm, they is no evidence of my car gettin hit and I didnt do anything to my 2001 SE. Oh well. Thanks for the help fellow enthusiast. peace.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:07 PM

It's a ghost. call an exorcist.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:47 PM

Dan
Old 01-29-2002, 04:16 PM

Dan
I had the same problem last year. Only during the cold weather though. Hasn't happened this year yet (knock on wood) cause its been freakishly warm for winter. Never figured out why it kept going off though.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:25 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: ?ghost in my car?

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE

I had the same problem last year. Only during the cold weather though. Hasn't happened this year yet (knock on wood) cause its been freakishly warm for winter. Never figured out why it kept going off though.
This WILL sound odd , but it being cold and dry ( your in NJ according to your profile ) your car could have been building up Static Elec. and caused problems with a relay/sensor/ BATT.

Just a wacked out thought.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: ?ghost in my car?

Originally posted by bags533

This WILL sound odd , but it being cold and dry ( your in NJ according to your profile ) your car could have been building up Static Elec. and caused problems with a relay/sensor/ BATT.

Just a wacked out thought.
Sounds good to me, thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by black019
It's a ghost. call an exorcist.
If it does it again...FOR REAL!