General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

hood won't stay closed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After I got home, I found out that my hood can't close all the way now. I can push it down and it'll stay that way until I hit even a small bump

(Read about the accident here: https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...?threadid=8761 )

Here's a pic of my hood:

More pics here: http://www.crosswinds.net/~backslide/photo/mymax.html

So, would it be okay to drive like that? How about in the rain? If it does rain, should I park it in the garage? (The garage is usually for my mom's Accord)
Old 11-13-2000, 07:02 PM
Got Bent?

As long as there is no engine damage, it should be ok to drive. As for rain, it shouldn't do any harm from the looks of it. Sorry to hear about your wreck. You posted something earlier about a scratch from when someone keyed your car. I guess thats the last of your concerns now. Hopefully, it won't cost too much to repair the damage.
Old 11-13-2000, 07:59 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

do me a favor..can you take a pic of the latch on the front frame where it hits the "bar" thing on the hood?
take it from the front and side..
don't have to close the hood..just get it so the small striker bar in the hood is close to the locking latch.

thanks!
Dan

Originally posted by clee130
After I got home, I found out that my hood can't close all the way now. I can push it down and it'll stay that way until I hit even a small bump

(Read about the accident here: https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...?threadid=8761 )

Here's a pic of my hood:

So, would it be okay to drive like that? How about in the rain? If it does rain, should I park it in the garage? (The garage is usually for my mom's Accord)
Old 11-13-2000, 08:05 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

also from the pics it looks like only your bumper's metal frame is shot. doesn't look like a huge frame problem. it looks that bad because the tow hitch nailed u right in the center. so the force of the impact is centered in the middle portion. 1st thing is go get the metal beam for the bumper. there's no major frame damage. maybe the flanges on the bumper is slightly bent..but can be bent back w/o major probs.
Dan

Originally posted by DanNY
do me a favor..can you take a pic of the latch on the front frame where it hits the "bar" thing on the hood?
take it from the front and side..
don't have to close the hood..just get it so the small striker bar in the hood is close to the locking latch.

thanks!
Dan

Here's a pic of my hood:

Old 11-13-2000, 08:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude! Your pics show nothing! =P Don't become and insurance adjuster!! =P Is that the front top part of the car? That bent bar? Or what? More light! If its the front top bar by the latch. Thats nothing.

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 08:13 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i'm not..i'm just letting him know what's bent. he believes it's the frame and it's not (from the pics). behind your bumper cover is a foam..and behind the foam is a metal beam. that's what looks like it's messed up (the really bented up part). believe me that's only speculation...i can't know what else is wrong. but zum have u taken apart the front end of the car??? if u have then you'll know what pics they are.

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Dude! Your pics show nothing! =P Don't become and insurance adjuster!! =P Is that the front top part of the car? That bent bar? Or what? More light! If its the front top bar by the latch. Thats nothing.

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 08:20 PM

I'm talking about Calvin being an insurance adjuster.. They have to take pictures of the damage and stuff for the records.. Hehe.. he took some pretty crappy ones.. =P Lets see a full view of the front.. So we can see the impact.. And brighter inside shots.

dan:
Hmm It looks familiar to me.. But his upside down/sideways shots make me dizzy.. hehe..

ZuM

i'm not..i'm just letting him know what's bent. he believes it's the frame and it's not (from the pics). behind your bumper cover is a foam..and behind the foam is a metal beam. that's what looks like it's messed up (the really bented up part). believe me that's only speculation...i can't know what else is wrong. but zum have u taken apart the front end of the car??? if u have then you'll know what pics they are.

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 08:26 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

bro your =P is making me dissy
use the !!
Dan

dan:
Hmm It looks familiar to me.. But his upside down/sideways shots make me dizzy.. hehe..

ZuM

ZuM
[Edited by DanNY on 11-13-2000 at 10:34 PM]
Old 11-13-2000, 08:35 PM

Hahhaa
Old 11-13-2000, 08:38 PM

Well... it's so great you two are having so much fun at my expense... :P

Anyway... still need me to take more pics...? and thanks for all the info... I was all worried it might be the frame of the car.

And I know I should have taken better photos. I love photography but I have a really old digital camera that doesn't have a zoom and it was dark in the garage. So I was holding a worklamp in one hand while trying to take pictures with the other hand. I was getting dizzy myself.
Old 11-13-2000, 09:25 PM

Okay, you're forgiven.. I'd like to see where the impact was though. From the bumper standpoint. I think you major concern should be insurance though.. You can take it to somewhere to get an estimate on the damage. Many places do free estimates. Make sure you tell them that you're paying out of your pocket and not the insurace company. That way they won't rape you. Oh, the place I was telling you about is off Linden Place and Latimer Ave. in Flushing. Foster Brothers.

ZuM

Well... it's so great you two are having so much fun at my expense... :P

Anyway... still need me to take more pics...? and thanks for all the info... I was all worried it might be the frame of the car.

And I know I should have taken better photos. I love photography but I have a really old digital camera that doesn't have a zoom and it was dark in the garage. So I was holding a worklamp in one hand while trying to take pictures with the other hand. I was getting dizzy myself.
Old 11-13-2000, 10:01 PM

Thanks

I'll check the place out and Flushing is great cause I'm there pretty much every weekend.

And I'll see if I can take some more pictures tomorrow... and I promise no more upside down/sideways pics