General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New cars are too computerized/complicated to work on

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:50 AM
What does that mean?

New cars are too computerized/complicated to work on

Seems I've heard this kind of talk since the 1980s when EFI came in. So I'm curious, Max owners here who have cars from the past 5 or 10 years and who like to work on their own cars, have you found that you're no longer able to work on your cars due to needing specialized (diagnostic?) tools, or is it just a common rant based on not very much at all?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM

It is true. The newer the car, the more the designs utilize computerized modules.

You need specialized tools that are also computerized. Today's cars have multiple computer modules that reduce repairs to replacing a "box" that is a computer module. It seems like all you can do to a car is replace a switch or a light bulb or something like that.

I have a Lexus where the automatic transmission is supposed to be lifetime a sealed module. There is no dipstick to check oil level. If you drain the oil, there is a special tool kit to replace the oil. It has pumps, it has temperature gauges and whatever. Toyota claims that too much oil will damage the transmission.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:51 AM

Golly ... I love my old sh** ...
Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 PM

It is true. The newer the car, the more the designs utilize computerized modules.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:15 PM
What does that mean?

With the Maxima was there a certain generation or year where working on them yourself got a lot more complicated? I know my 1996 is easy to work on, when did that change?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 PM

Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 PM

Years ago when you needed to change a headlight all you needed was to remove 3 or 4 10mm bolts nowadays you need to first remove the whole bumper to even see where the bolt goes
Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Yes, you need the proper diagnostic tools to ferret out the problem...that is the first hurdle. The next hurdle is in simply getting to the item to fix. Modern CAD/CAM design tools have optimized every single bit of space in the engine bay, and if you have even moderately large hands, it is sometimes VERY difficult to get to things. Let alone the fact you have to take off various covers and hatches just to SEE the dang engine.

If you want an exercise in exasperation, own a later model Volvo. These cars use an operating system called VADIS, totally proprietary to Volvo, nothing but VADIS scanners can read fault codes. If you put in a non-OEM lightbulb, the light will work but the computer will say the bulb is out. And forget EVER modifying the stereo, lol!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TableRocker
Yes, you need the proper diagnostic tools to ferret out the problem...that is the first hurdle. The next hurdle is in simply getting to the item to fix. Modern CAD/CAM design tools have optimized every single bit of space in the engine bay, and if you have even moderately large hands, it is sometimes VERY difficult to get to things. Let alone the fact you have to take off various covers and hatches just to SEE the dang engine.

If you want an exercise in exasperation, own a later model Volvo. These cars use an operating system called VADIS, totally proprietary to Volvo, nothing but VADIS scanners can read fault codes. If you put in a non-OEM lightbulb, the light will work but the computer will say the bulb is out. And forget EVER modifying the stereo, lol!
Audi's are similar. I even hacked up the first oil change on it. I called my bro who is an ASE cert mechanic. He told me not to feel too bad as he hosed up his first Audi oil change too. Not even a dipstick in that sucker.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 PM

While some systems are due to emissions regulations, I truly wonder how many are needed. Competition is fierce and people are suckers for "technology" . Oooooo lala. Whatever.

Society is doing itself in when cars are nothing but throw away. When transmission will fail unless an oem fluid at $16 is used. Whatever. Stupid.

And we want more people to go into technology....for what? Stupid.

When a 98 Lincoln v8 can get repeatedly 30 mpg and no car comes close to that in size and mpg together then I wonder about a lot. Emissions has probably NOT dropped 50% to even closely offset the lower mpg.

I could go on, but modern "tech" in cars is nothing but stupid.

Last edited by MichMaxFan; 03-13-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Man vs Machine
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by TableRocker

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Audi's are similar. I even hacked up the first oil change on it. I called my bro who is an ASE cert mechanic. He told me not to feel too bad as he hosed up his first Audi oil change too. Not even a dipstick in that sucker.
Holy crap, no thanks !

Any idea around what year these two makes went this way?