General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Caliper painting Q?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 08:10 PM
pjalst

Caliper painting Q?

What's the best way to paint your calipers? I've seen some people brush paint it and I've seen some spray. Which is best and what's the best paint to use(brand).

Old 02-02-2002, 08:20 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Caliper painting Q?

Originally posted by pjalst
What's the best way to paint your calipers? I've seen some people brush paint it and I've seen some spray. Which is best and what's the best paint to use(brand).
Jack up car, take off wheels, mask everything off with paper towels and tape. Screw the expensive stuff, its a waste. Go to your local discount auto parts and get "engine enamal" brand paint. $3.75 a can. Used it on my calipers and engine, and has held up great. Been in engine for 5 months and looks just as good as the day i did it.

Just put a few coats of it on each caliper and your golden. Here is a pic of mine with the red engine enamal:

Old 02-02-2002, 08:45 PM
KCTYPHOON

this is how i did mine.. went to pep-boys and bought brake caliper paint made by plasti-kote. its basically the same as engine enamel but i dont know if the engine emamel is high gloss, the caliper paint is, and is also chemical and chip resistant.i dont think its enamel, mabye a lacquer in which case it would dry harder with more gloss but dont quote me im not 100% if its not enamel. anyway, i did mine black, and also using a much easier method. jacked up the car, took the wheel off, hit the caliper with a wire brush real fast to free off the tuff dirt and stuff(dont go crazy, just a few rubs is fine). sprayed it with brake cleaner, let it dry, and i just spray painted everything, caliper and the entire rotor. did like 4 coats, let it dry and just drove around for a bit and let the pads wear the paint off the caliper. no it didnt affect stopping. the benefit of doing it this way rather than taping everything up is very noticable.. you know that rusty lookin part of your rotor the pads dont touch on the bottom and where the studs are? it stays painted. looks REALLY good and is good if you can see those parts depending on what rims you have. even if you cant see it, theres no need to tape everything up. its a waste of time. the pads will take it rite off after a lil driving.

you can actually see what im talking about in the pic posted above me. you see towards the center of his rotor, where its not shiny, and the part where the studs are, he could have gotten all that red too.. i did all my stuff black so it matched the color of my car.. sorry i dont have i pic of it to show ya..

Old 02-02-2002, 08:55 PM
pjalst

?

how many cans of paint didi it take?

Old 02-02-2002, 09:01 PM
KCTYPHOON

only one.. i think the can was like 4 bucks from pep-boys.. comes in a bunch of different colors

Old 02-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

FoliaTec brush-on kit.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
this is how i did mine.. went to pep-boys and bought brake caliper paint made by plasti-kote. its basically the same as engine enamel but i dont know if the engine emamel is high gloss, the caliper paint is, and is also chemical and chip resistant.i dont think its enamel, mabye a lacquer in which case it would dry harder with more gloss but dont quote me im not 100% if its not enamel. anyway, i did mine black, and also using a much easier method. jacked up the car, took the wheel off, hit the caliper with a wire brush real fast to free off the tuff dirt and stuff(dont go crazy, just a few rubs is fine). sprayed it with brake cleaner, let it dry, and i just spray painted everything, caliper and the entire rotor. did like 4 coats, let it dry and just drove around for a bit and let the pads wear the paint off the caliper. no it didnt affect stopping. the benefit of doing it this way rather than taping everything up is very noticable.. you know that rusty lookin part of your rotor the pads dont touch on the bottom and where the studs are? it stays painted. looks REALLY good and is good if you can see those parts depending on what rims you have. even if you cant see it, theres no need to tape everything up. its a waste of time. the pads will take it rite off after a lil driving.

you can actually see what im talking about in the pic posted above me. you see towards the center of his rotor, where its not shiny, and the part where the studs are, he could have gotten all that red too.. i did all my stuff black so it matched the color of my car.. sorry i dont have i pic of it to show ya..
You are VERY lucky a slight wind wasn't going, or you probably would have gotten overspray on your fender.

THAT's why people mask, not for the rotors themselves....that burns off.

Mask it off, better safe than sorry.

IanS
Old 02-17-2002, 04:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

you can also take the caliper off and paint it.
Old 02-17-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by iansw

You are VERY lucky a slight wind wasn't going, or you probably would have gotten overspray on your fender.

THAT's why people mask, not for the rotors themselves....that burns off.

Mask it off, better safe than sorry.

IanS
that's why I perfer bush mine on.. I used brush.. cuz I don't want to mess up when spraying..
Old 02-17-2002, 04:57 PM

I had sprayed my calipers.When getting new brakes will i have to repaint them again or not or just depends on the guy doing the brake job thanks