General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 05:35 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Now you're in a 5 speed Max, and you don't need to drive alot? ;-) I can almost here your VQ snickering and saying "we'll see about that" I bet you'll soon be making excuses to make a road trip. 1st you'll start small and pick up groceries 2 towns over instead of right down the street!

Driving back from the dealership today I took the loal road with lights instead of the interstate.

I stopped at home first (took those pics) and then I took the long way to work. On the way home from work I also took the long way. Then I went out and ran some errands and went "out of the way" to this "other" place that I normally wouldn't go to because it's "too far."

Originally posted by dwapenyi
All I can say is this: Enjoy the ride! DW
Old 02-04-2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
Steve, seriously how does beaten up maximas look like? mine looks like the one in the pic but with black interior & little mud from snow on the floor mats. I beat on my maxima pretty bad but the condition is still mint.
I live in the DC suburbs - home of the most idiotic and retarded drivers known to man. Boston drivers may be a$$holes, LA drivers might just be ****ed from too much traffic, but DC drivers are f*cking ignorant and hit you because they don't realize that you have to have your eyes OPEN while driving!!!

Anyways, I live north of the DC Beltway along the I-270 "Technology Corridor" which is "idiot central" Soooo damn many accidents around here. The Maxima's I looked at here were in bad shape not because of any problems with the Maxima, but rather because of all of the idiots around here and all of the accidents.

Paint was scratched a lot. Lots of them had nicks and dings and dents. Lots of them had bumper scuff marks and poorly-done repaint jobs. One of them I drove didn't track straight and the steering wheel vibrated as you drove it. Either its front end was totally out of alignment or its frame was bent from crash damage (didn't do a title check, but wasn't going to buy that one anyways...)

The interiors all were in good shape for the most part, though. The only common problem I saw was under-hood rust. In this area not many people own homes. There are a zillion townhouses and apartments but hardly any houses with garages so the Max's in this area have to take all the weather. A lot of the Max's had rust on the hood latch area, and on some support bar stuff under the hood too.

The Maxima I got I had to go all the way out to Virginia for (30 miles) new Dulles airport. Home ownership is much higher in that are and I could tell mine was garage-kept because it didn't have any under-hood rust at all. The drivers are also much more intelligent in that area too, which explains why there was absolutely no body damage and how the paint was in great shape!
Old 02-04-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I live in the DC suburbs - home of the most idiotic and retarded drivers known to man. Boston drivers may be a$$holes, LA drivers might just be ****ed from too much traffic, but DC drivers are f*cking ignorant and hit you because they don't realize that you have to have your eyes OPEN while driving!!!

Anyways, I live north of the DC Beltway along the I-270 "Technology Corridor" which is "idiot central" Soooo damn many accidents around here. The Maxima's I looked at here were in bad shape not because of any problems with the Maxima, but rather because of all of the idiots around here and all of the accidents.

Paint was scratched a lot. Lots of them had nicks and dings and dents. Lots of them had bumper scuff marks and poorly-done repaint jobs. One of them I drove didn't track straight and the steering wheel vibrated as you drove it. Either its front end was totally out of alignment or its frame was bent from crash damage (didn't do a title check, but wasn't going to buy that one anyways...)

The interiors all were in good shape for the most part, though. The only common problem I saw was under-hood rust. In this area not many people own homes. There are a zillion townhouses and apartments but hardly any houses with garages so the Max's in this area have to take all the weather. A lot of the Max's had rust on the hood latch area, and on some support bar stuff under the hood too.

The Maxima I got I had to go all the way out to Virginia for (30 miles) new Dulles airport. Home ownership is much higher in that are and I could tell mine was garage-kept because it didn't have any under-hood rust at all. The drivers are also much more intelligent in that area too, which explains why there was absolutely no body damage and how the paint was in great shape!
just wondering how do u keep underhood rust away? I don't have any yet but I sure don't want any.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:45 PM
Administrator

steve.. did you post on the honda boards about this yet?
Old 02-04-2002, 06:52 PM

Russ is gone & Steve just joined this is cool
Old 02-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Russ is gone & Steve just joined this is cool
am i a fortune teller or what? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=70867
Old 02-04-2002, 07:29 PM

just wondering how do u keep underhood rust away? I don't have any yet but I sure don't want any.

This would be a good question in the 4th gen forum
Old 02-04-2002, 07:36 PM

Amen brother! I want to get into a regular house with a garage and a peg board.

Old 02-04-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
steve.. did you post on the honda boards about this yet? :-D
No. My ISP is screwed up. I can read posts over there but if I try to post a new one then it gives me a server not found error

I'm going to try again from work tomorrow. Some of the Accordv6.com guys lurk over here though so some of them know...

Maybe they banned me already.

Old 02-05-2002, 04:12 AM

totalled my accord coupe

Hey, I totalled my accord coupe a little over a year ago and got my max.
Night and day, I tell you, night and day.
Handling, speed, build quality, luxury, you can't get more for your money.

take it from a guy who flipped his accord over two and a half full rotations =)
Old 02-05-2002, 04:25 AM

Re: totalled my accord coupe

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Hey, I totalled my accord coupe a little over a year ago and got my max. Night and day, I tell you, night and day. Handling, speed, build quality, luxury, you can't get more for your money.
Damn!! Glad you're okay from that!

I'm really impressed with the Max so far. I love the responsiveness of the VQ/5spd combo - it's simply awesome. The engine has a wider powerband and the 5spd lets it show all of its might.

I'm subjecting it to the "girlfriend/fiance test" (who lives out of town so she hasnt' seen it yet) this weekend. I'm taking her on a road trip in it so hopefully it'll meet her approval

It's got a couple of extra goodies that my Accord didn't have (heated seats/mirrors, outside temp display, moonroof controls right by the roof instead of to the left of the wheel like in the Accord) and she loves that stuff so hopefully it'll pass
Old 02-05-2002, 04:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: totalled my accord coupe

Damn!! Glad you're okay from that!

I'm really impressed with the Max so far. I love the responsiveness of the VQ/5spd combo - it's simply awesome. The engine has a wider powerband and the 5spd lets it show all of its might.

I'm subjecting it to the "girlfriend/fiance test" (who lives out of town so she hasnt' seen it yet) this weekend. I'm taking her on a road trip in it so hopefully it'll meet her approval

It's got a couple of extra goodies that my Accord didn't have (heated seats/mirrors, outside temp display, moonroof controls right by the roof instead of to the left of the wheel like in the Accord) and she loves that stuff so hopefully it'll pass
Overall, the Max is not as bad as most cars though. Get into a GM car and you'll think the Max's interior is the greatest thing.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:49 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Re: totalled my accord coupe

Originally posted by deezo
Overall, the Max is not as bad as most cars though. Get into a GM car and you'll think the Max's interior is the greatest thing.
he is tellin th truth.. my other car is a GM...
Old 02-05-2002, 04:56 AM

I used to drive a GM car too - it was my first car.

1984 Pontiac 6000
Old 02-05-2002, 04:58 AM
i SeE what you did therE

1984 Pontiac 6000
i still have my gm.. 1990 caviler.. with 178000 miles and still goin... i think i got my money out of it...
Old 02-05-2002, 05:00 AM

1984 Pontiac 6000
Old 02-05-2002, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

i still have my gm.. 1990 caviler.. with 178000 miles and still goin... i think i got my money out of it...
Old 02-05-2002, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
Somebody at GM screwed up! It was supposed to fall apart right at 100,000 miles. Now they didn't make back on repairs any of the money they lost on selling you the car!

Old 02-05-2002, 05:16 AM

Re: Re: totalled my accord coupe

Hehe, thanks, no permanent damage done, cept to my driving ego.
I actually walked out of that one alive and unscathed, not even a scratch. Just quite dirty, I ended up with a mouthful and lapful of dirt, had to kick out my front windshield to get out of the car hoping it wouldn't explode before i did.

Some friendly passer-by's stopped to help me phone a cop and tow, at first they didn't think that I was the one in the car. They asked,

"Is he ok?"
"I'm he."

hehe, they were silent while i poked around for my cigarette pack.
anyway, thank God He was with me that night...

BTW, ever see "Unbreakable" ?

also, the degree to which your GF likes the max is directly inversely proportional to how much YOU like it, trust me, I should know =P
Old 02-05-2002, 05:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: totalled my accord coupe

also, the degree to which your GF likes the max is directly inversely proportional to how much YOU like it, trust me, I should know =P
damn!!!

So true!! I loved my Accord as a good everyday car, but it just wasn't a car that made me passionate about driving - even modded with a grin-inducing intake. She "loved" it with passion as a fine and refined luxury car with ample power.

So now I "love" the Maxima, but hopefully she'll love it too. It has as much luxury as the Accord so hopefully I'll be in luck. She likes little easter egg type things like heated seats and outside temp display. I'll keep my fingers crossed

She's seen the pics but already said she doesn't like a lighter beige interior on a dark car. oh oh...

Old 02-05-2002, 05:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: totalled my accord coupe

Hey, I forgot to say,
Congrats on getting the max!

Well, if you're girlfriend's into little gadgets, that's cool, I hope she likes it too.

My GF's dislike of my car started the time I spent 12 hours detailing it when I was supposed to take her out to the movies. Possibly also because she catches me checking out my own car like I would check out a chick. But hey! That's her problem to deal with =) I'll keep working on my car...

BTW what in the world are we doing up so early!?
Old 02-05-2002, 06:53 AM

Rust Problems

How do you prevent rust, reduce nicks, help paint life , and ride with your windows down everyday? Move south.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: totalled my accord coupe

thanks

My GF's dislike of my car started the time I spent 12 hours detailing it when I was supposed to take her out to the movies.
Bad move

BTW what in the world are we doing up so early!? :goofy
Eastern time
Old 02-05-2002, 07:09 AM
Administrator

EST is the only time that matters..

btw i don't sleep
Old 02-05-2002, 07:14 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by SprintMax
EST is the only time that matters..

btw i don't sleep
BOTs do not sleep...

and DEezo-
Old 02-09-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: totalled my accord coupe

So, you turned to the darkside my friend (SteVTEC). j/k Hey, congrats on the new acquisition bro. Judging by the pics, it looks to be in great shape. (Too bad you're timing didn't coincide with the release of the 7th gen Accord; I'm 'hearing' 3.2L iVTEC V6 w/240hp and avail. 6sp) But, you did well. You'll be missed on SHO (not that its ever online); you not being there increases SHO's dork factor MUCH.

Your fiance will get accustomed to the Max's interior rather quickly. (I personally wouldn't miss that center console pit that our, er..my Accord has.)

Good luck bro.

f23a4

P.S.: My wife and I are shopping for a preowned 4dr sedan to augment our primary car (Y2K Quest SE) and my 99 Accord. (We've narrowed it down to the 95-97 Maxima, 94-97 325i and 97-98 Camry V6.) So I may be posting here much more often as a Maxima owner very soon. Peace.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:48 AM

bump

One year of Maxima ownership almost to the day and I still love the car and look forward to driving it every time I get in it. I was sooo bored with my Accord after like 6 months, but never really realized what I was missing until I got the Maxima.

I put 23,000 miles on this car in the past year, and I've enjoyed every single one of them, and the VQ is a big part of that. So smooth and muscular sounding, and much more powerful (total power under the curve) than the 190HP rating suggests. This car is the biggest sleeper too. Everybody thinks only the new Max's are fast, but they all seem to forget that even the old ones will lay down some serious smack too. My favorite "kill" of the year had to be that hotly contested CL-S run from 0-80, if anybody remembers that. Too bad the thread got deleted. That was fun.

Anyways, this car rocks!

No regrets whatsoever.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:04 AM

Hiya Steve!
I'm glad you're liking your maxima so much.

Watch the CL-s... you may upset Russ and he might start crying.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:54 AM
RussMaxManiac

bump

One year of Maxima ownership almost to the day and I still love the car and look forward to driving it every time I get in it. I was sooo bored with my Accord after like 6 months, but never really realized what I was missing until I got the Maxima.

I put 23,000 miles on this car in the past year, and I've enjoyed every single one of them, and the VQ is a big part of that. So smooth and muscular sounding, and much more powerful (total power under the curve) than the 190HP rating suggests. This car is the biggest sleeper too. Everybody thinks only the new Max's are fast, but they all seem to forget that even the old ones will lay down some serious smack too. My favorite "kill" of the year had to be that hotly contested CL-S run from 0-80, if anybody remembers that. Too bad the thread got deleted. That was fun.

Anyways, this car rocks!

No regrets whatsoever.

Old 02-05-2003, 09:08 AM

IATL