General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I use Walmart SuperTech oil and it's absolutely fine.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Banned

I use Walmart SuperTech oil and it's absolutely fine.

despite what "knowledgeable" people say that "ohh that will ruin your car!!!" GIve me a break It's all from the same petroleum plant, processed the same way. It's probably just Valvoline or some such with Walmart's name on it so it doesn't matter. So save some bucks you guys.
I will NOT however use some cheap Fram filter from them. Use genuine Nissan. THERE'S where the difference in quality really comes into play.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:27 PM

Lets see some used oil analysis data to back up that statement.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Banned

You could have done the same amazingly simple google search I just did, but here you go:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...tic_Oil_Analys

And the linked info from that thread:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/supertech.htm
Old 03-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Banned

Now to be clear, if Wal-Mart still sold the Mobil SUPER High Mileage (their synthetic blend, NOT the Mobil 1 full synthetic) I would buy that- it was only about $2 more for a 5 qt container. But apparently Mobil has stopped marketing the "Mobil SUPER" brand choosing instead to go strictly with the "Mobil 1" which is far more expensive with no real performance difference to justify the cost.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Banned

Here is a chart linked in that thread:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013P...sallfinal.html

pay close attention to the NOACK volatility loss which measures how well an oil still performs after a certain breakdown period-- ST is right there in the middle, not quite as good as some big name full synthetics (like Mobil 1 which again, you're paying almost twice as much for-- cost difference does not = performance difference) and even better than some other big names.
SuperTech it is from now on- just with a really good filter (i.e. no Fram junk.)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Using Maple Syrup as engine oil

Probably ok for a daily driver, not so much racing.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:46 AM

If some of the off-brand/store brand oils are to be used ... and I'm not saying they shouldn't ... one needs to pay attention to the manufacturer of the oil.

All oil containers are stamped, on the their bottom, with an insignia identifying the maker of the oil inside. Find the insignia, know the maker and make your decision.

I say this, because, routinely Walmart and other sellers with their own store brands (auto parts store included), change manufacturers from whom they purchase without changing any obvious labeling. But, the stamp/insignia on the bottom of the container will change.

The Supertech full synthetic oil I've used in the past has been manufactured by Warren (aka Pennzoil) and Amalie.

Point is ... before you use it, know what you're using.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 PM
Got Retrofit?

I use it in my daily. No issues. I do use OEM filters though...
Old 04-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by chop_sooie View Post
despite what "knowledgeable" people say that "ohh that will ruin your car!!!" GIve me a break It's all from the same petroleum plant, processed the same way. It's probably just Valvoline or some such with Walmart's name on it so it doesn't matter. So save some bucks you guys.
I will NOT however use some cheap Fram filter from them. Use genuine Nissan. THERE'S where the difference in quality really comes into play.
just food for thought...the Fram Ultra is a very solid filter.
not sure which OEM filter you use but i heard the cheap made in china OEM nissan filters are no better than the basic Fram filter that you're trashing. Honda also went this route on their oil filters also.

with oil filters, just bc it's OEM it doesn't mean it will filter better.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DanNY View Post
just food for thought...the Fram Ultra is a very solid filter.
not sure which OEM filter you use but i heard the cheap made in china OEM nissan filters are no better than the basic Fram filter that you're trashing. Honda also went this route on their oil filters also.

with oil filters, just bc it's OEM it doesn't mean it will filter better.
Actually i just recently read a few articles saying this very same thing so I guess I have to revise my statement. And yes the Fram Ultra is a good filter... I actually found a good deal on Purolator One filters from the guy in the next town over who runs a garage and told me I could buy the filter straight from him at cost. While they aren't premium synthetic filters they should do the job just fne for my regular joe driving.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by chop_sooie View Post
It's all from the same petroleum plant, processed the same way. It's probably just Valvoline or some such with Walmart's name on it so it doesn't matter.
basic non-synthetic oil apparently is just rebranded Castrol oil, ive used the $40 18.9L buckets of Wal-Mart Supertech 10w-30 and 15w-40 in my old stuff for years without issue
Old 05-02-2019, 05:27 AM

There are only a few TRUE synthetic oils … Royal Purple HPS.. ( NOT the crap at Walmart), Redline, Black bottle only of Amsoil SIgnature Series oil.

All the other junk at Walmart or the like is Hydrocracked oil.. meaning its a class III base stock Dino oil with a small portion of a synthetic blend. No additive pack to speak of..
And yes... Even Mobil 1 is NOT a full synthetic oil.. It says it on the bottle due to the many lawsuits from years back...

If you don't believe me.. Send a sample of that crap oil to Blackstone labs and have an report done on it.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:25 PM

nothing wrong with SuperTech, it just oil however they don't have a lot of additives as other nationally recognized brand oil, since Oil do not wear out, what wears out is the additives to keep your car clean inside. using SuperTech might require more frequent oil changes since they don't very many additives like Mobil or Castrol. So you decided is your choice what you want in your car just keep in mind they will gunk up the engine if it's not change at a intervals.