General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Level 10 Rebuild (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 08:41 PM
91ka7

Level 10 Rebuild (long)

Hey guys. I saw a while back someone on here has a Level 10 rebuild done. I have a few questions concerning a rebuild with a Level 10 kit I had done on my auto tranny. I don't drive a Maxima but frequent many different car forums and was just wondering if anyone could help.

This past August I blew out 2nd gear in my 91 Acura Legend @ 166k miles. Being my daily driver I had to make decision quickly, I was driving around with no 2nd gear. So I decided to do a rebuild with a Level 10 kit and a Pro-Torque high stall torque converter. Due to time restrictions and money I had to have the tranny rebuild done at another tranny shop recommended to me rather than Level 10 themselves. I drove around almost a month with no second gear when I finally got the job done.

I have been experiencing the following problems. Severe flaring under normal acceleration from my 3rd to 4th shift and severely harsh 1st to 2nd shifts. The shifts from 1st to 2nd were so harsh under normal driving conditions I had to remove my Dinan/Bayou chip which also acts as a tranny shift kit on our electronically controlled tranny's.

Someone suggested to me that perhaps the flaring is a simple adjustment that can be made without removing the tranny.

As far as my harsh 1st to 2nd shifts I reduced it signifigantly by swapping my ECU out with the stock one. 1st to 2nd shifts in Legends are known to be very rough but when shifting manually, say holding it to 7000RPM and shifting to 2nd is so harsh it sounds close to the sound my tranny made when I blew 2nd gear out. Is this normal or am I being overally cautious?

I have taken the car out on the track and had no problems with the tranny. I avoided "manually" shifting from 1st to 2nd and have been started off in drive, letting it shift automatically to second then dropping down to second to hold it to 6800RPM before forcing an upshift to 3rd and the tranny seems fine under these conditions.

Taking my car to Level 10 is not out of the question, I live in NY and work in northern NJ and I believe Level 10 is in North-western NJ...

I was just wondering what some peoples opinions were on this before I started making phone calls Thanks guys!

Old 02-05-2002, 09:03 PM

umm, you do know this is a MAXIMA forum and not a HONDA/ACURA foru, right?
Old 02-05-2002, 10:09 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Talk to www.supraforums.com. Some of them have had Level 10 experience.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:16 PM

In his defense, he was asking a general question about Level10, not a specific questin about his legend. I've gone to Honda/Acura forums and asked questions about my stereo.

Originally posted by Romeo
umm, you do know this is a MAXIMA forum and not a HONDA/ACURA foru, right?
Old 02-06-2002, 06:17 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

depends what kind of build/rebuild you got from L10. if you bought the valve body recal deal then your transmission is basically shifting normally...scary enh?

i drove a car w/ just the L10 VB in it and under light/normal accel the tranny feels like it wants to fall out because the shift was so firm. but when you rev it and let it shift it goes into the next gear a lot faster....but you feel the shift. maybe it's a good idea to head back to the shop and talk to them...see what they said and what they put in the tranny. try calling L10 themselves and see if this is normal. sometimes it can be a simple loose vacume line or a electrical connection.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:25 AM
91ka7

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I will check out the Supra Forums as well.

DanNY:
The kit I had installed was just the Level 10 rebuild kit. It's the only kit they offer for my car. Pretty much it has kevlar friction plates and all the necessary seals. I have some pictures of the uninstalled kit in the box here .

Old 02-06-2002, 06:40 AM

I had this problem...but it was just a matter of reconnecting a ground that wasn't properly connected upon delivery....

shifts much better now...softer at low revs/speeds and firmer and higher speeds
Old 02-06-2002, 06:47 AM
91ka7

Originally posted by Pmp-n8a
I had this problem...but it was just a matter of reconnecting a ground that wasn't properly connected upon delivery....

shifts much better now...softer at low revs/speeds and firmer and higher speeds
A ground? You mean like an electrical ground wire?

Old 02-06-2002, 11:52 AM

don't go to the supra forum

it is useless to try to talk to them. one kid on the board has made level ten look bad. it was his own fault not level tens that the trans was causing him problems. anyways, my level ten works just fine and the guys there did everything to help me out. later.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:01 PM

I thought about getting a Level Ten rebuild too, same kit as in your pic. I don't know now anymore.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I thought about getting a Level Ten rebuild too, same kit as in your pic. I don't know now anymore.
is the rebuid the one called the hydrosystem valve body recalibration on level 10's website? if im going to do it ill prolly get it installed by them on the spot..i heard its like 725 and it gets the job done the same day of course. and similar numbers compared to dons..people can have their own opinions but i never really heard a negative thing about this if its installed properly..
Old 02-06-2002, 01:51 PM

cumalot

they know what theey are doing there. don't worry about it. they offer more than a VB mod. thy actually replace all the seals. clutch packs, metals, and the torque convertor with the trans rebuild. you are better offer with them then anybody else. also the best way of getting it done is to go there and let them do it. if anyone has questions, e-mail me at furbiss112@aol.com. later.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:58 PM
EZ

I heard Level 10 has been having legal trouble. Something about their product not performing as advertised. Can anyone elaborate on this?
Old 02-06-2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Raf2kMax

is the rebuid the one called the hydrosystem valve body recalibration on level 10's website? if im going to do it ill prolly get it installed by them on the spot..i heard its like 725 and it gets the job done the same day of course. and similar numbers compared to dons..people can have their own opinions but i never really heard a negative thing about this if its installed properly..
No, the rebuild I'm talking about is called Performance Transmission System. It cost about $750 or so.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:52 PM

the rebuild is almost 3 1/2 g's....
Old 02-06-2002, 05:54 PM

cumalot

the performance transmission system or TPS is the entire trans rebuild. it costs over 3k to get it done. you maybe talking about the VB upgrade that Level Ten offers. that is around 600. they also offer a shiftronic device that allows you to control the car like a stick by the push of a button. that sells for about 1000. i believe that you can buy the TPS kit and then have some other shop put it in for you, but i would not recommend this. well e-mail if you need more info. furbiss112@aol.com. later.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:56 PM

Re: cumalot

Originally posted by furbiss112
the performance transmission system or TPS is the entire trans rebuild. it costs over 3k to get it done. you maybe talking about the VB upgrade that Level Ten offers. that is around 600. they also offer a shiftronic device that allows you to control the car like a stick by the push of a button. that sells for about 1000. i believe that you can buy the TPS kit and then have some other shop put it in for you, but i would not recommend this. well e-mail if you need more info. furbiss112@aol.com. later.

No the Performance Transmission System Kit I'm talking about is about $730. What you are talking about is the Performance Automatic Transmission which is over $3k which includes everything. I already have a VB from Don, why would I be talking about that. The PTS kit is basically a Stage One rebuild, the over $3k rebuild is a Stage Three I believe. It's on Level Ten's website, I even talked to them before so I know which is which. Btw, even though it's listed on their website, the shiftronic is not available for imports yet, they pulled it back to do some a bit of tuning, that's what I heard.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:28 PM

Re: Re: cumalot

Originally posted by Cumalot

No the Performance Transmission System Kit I'm talking about is about $730. What you are talking about is the Performance Automatic Transmission which is over $3k which includes everything. I already have a VB from Don, why would I be talking about that. The PTS kit is basically a Stage One rebuild, the over $3k rebuild is a Stage Three I believe. It's on Level Ten's website, I even talked to them before so I know which is which. Btw, even though it's listed on their website, the shiftronic is not available for imports yet, they pulled it back to do some a bit of tuning, that's what I heard.
Level 10 claims that the PTS kit "Fixes sloppy shifts, burnt clutch and bands, slippage, no 1-2 upshift, no 2-3 upshift, burned out direct clutch, flair up, rev limiter on shifts."
if you already have Don's vb mod then wouldnt it be uncommon to burn out the cluth, have some flairups and all that?? im pretty sure don's mod already fixed the sloppy shifts right?? my question is whyre you getting this on top of the VB mod?? ps..im not flaming..jus maaad curious.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:19 PM

I like level 10 they do great work but very expensive. I found a better tranny rebuild for cheaper. I will be telling all on Friday. I want to be able to give a great discriptiong thats why I am wariting but i think it may help you a little.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: cumalot

Level 10 claims that the PTS kit "Fixes sloppy shifts, burnt clutch and bands, slippage, no 1-2 upshift, no 2-3 upshift, burned out direct clutch, flair up, rev limiter on shifts."
if you already have Don's vb mod then wouldnt it be uncommon to burn out the cluth, have some flairups and all that?? im pretty sure don's mod already fixed the sloppy shifts right?? my question is whyre you getting this on top of the VB mod?? ps..im not flaming..jus maaad curious.

Yeah I know, I understand what you are saying. That's why I still haven't got the PTS kit yet. I don't think this kit will help me much, I probably need the full $3k+ rebuild kit. $3k? Um...no thanks. I rather spend the money elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:28 PM

shiftronic

well i have the shiftronic sitting at home, just not in the car yet. also there are 3 stages of upgrades for the pts. i am not sure on the prices for each those. i can find out if you need. later.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:14 PM

Re: shiftronic

well i have the shiftronic sitting at home, just not in the car yet. also there are 3 stages of upgrades for the pts. i am not sure on the prices for each those. i can find out if you need. later.
hey furbiss..u got mail
Old 02-07-2002, 09:52 PM

Re: shiftronic

Hurry and install it! I want to know the result.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:41 AM

My car goes to 11.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
I like level 10 they do great work but very expensive. I found a better tranny rebuild for cheaper. I will be telling all on Friday. I want to be able to give a great discriptiong thats why I am wariting but i think it may help you a little.
so whats the secret bro?? cant wait to hear what its about.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:04 PM

so whats the secret bro?? cant wait to hear what its about.
I wanted nothing more than to tell all today. Sadly though the last part I needed was done by a LARGE third party and they deceided to be slow on shiping it back. So it's now suposed to be done tuesday but I can't get it till wed, so I guess I can't tell till then. Reason? Simple I want to be able to say just how great it drives and shifts on acuall feel not theory. But I think everybody will love what all has been done.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

I wanted nothing more than to tell all today. Sadly though the last part I needed was done by a LARGE third party and they deceided to be slow on shiping it back. So it's now suposed to be done tuesday but I can't get it till wed, so I guess I can't tell till then. Reason? Simple I want to be able to say just how great it drives and shifts on acuall feel not theory. But I think everybody will love what all has been done.
::still waitin for an answer::
Old 02-16-2002, 08:20 PM

::still waitin for an answer::
And you will have it soon. It's done. But I need him to fax me the final list of what was put in. Just trying to be as acurate as possible.