General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

Well I am gonna go talk to the dealership tomorrow about getting a 5-speed 1998 max, and I want to trade mine for it, but I have so much ish to transfer and I have low mileage and a brand new tranny.

What should be my stradegies here? I figured I would have them swap out all of the engine components and maybe the seats if possible, and of course the suspension (not the airbags.. the coilovers i am getting).. And then i would have my stereo place take out my stereo stuff prior to my visit..

What I am curious about is what I should be looking to receive.. I know that my car is worth more stock then a 5-speed, plus the fact most cars at dealerships dont have such low mileage and arent always in the tip top of shape.. any suggestions or comments will help.. thanks
Old 02-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

you dont like the airbag ride?
Old 02-08-2002, 10:36 PM

go in there w/a gun...and demand the fullfill your every request!!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:37 PM

Re: Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
you dont like the airbag ride?
this is a whole different topic and will be discussed soon..
Old 02-08-2002, 10:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

Originally posted by thebigsadler

Old 02-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Granny Driven

start a new topic, lets talk.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

start a new topic, lets talk.

SILENCE!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

Originally posted by pawn

SILENCE!
what suspension you got on?
Old 02-08-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

Well I am gonna go talk to the dealership tomorrow about getting a 5-speed 1998 max, and I want to trade mine for it, but I have so much ish to transfer and I have low mileage and a brand new tranny.

What should be my stradegies here? I figured I would have them swap out all of the engine components and maybe the seats if possible, and of course the suspension (not the airbags.. the coilovers i am getting).. And then i would have my stereo place take out my stereo stuff prior to my visit..

What I am curious about is what I should be looking to receive.. I know that my car is worth more stock then a 5-speed, plus the fact most cars at dealerships dont have such low mileage and arent always in the tip top of shape.. any suggestions or comments will help.. thanks
This is a salespersons nightmare.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2002, 10:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

what suspension you got on?

its a secret!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:53 PM

Re: Re: Going to DEALERSHIP tomorrow to talk trade for 98 5-speed... help..

Originally posted by nismomaxse97

This is a salespersons nightmare.

Good luck

a salespersons nightmare is not making $$$$
Old 02-08-2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by pawn

a salespersons nightmare is not making $$$$
which they wont.. because there is no way in hell i would pay to have this switch at a dealership because i will be coming out with less.. i think when i go i wont play with the switches.. they may question the cars stability factors..

maybe i'll find a nice guy.. i have to talk to the maintenence guys i know and see who they recommend i guess
Old 02-08-2002, 11:47 PM

heheh well your going to see the vultures. heh i use to be one
my advise make sure that your car is back to stock. the only mods dealers pay for are wheels and they don't even give you that much. don't give the saleperson or any of the managers know your car is or has been lowered they will ding you for that. all the dealers that i have worked for usually give customers 1-3k below wholesale bluebook so don't be surprised if the appraisal comes in a bit low. the last problem is try not to let them hide money from you. money can be hidden in a lot of places but the main ones is in the tax and licence "fees", or in the interest rate. just make sure you ask alot of questions if you don't really understand something then ask. i there reply dosn't make since keep digging you will be able to get a straight answer out of someone. the biggest problem i seen with customers getting jacked is they don't ask enough questions.

good luck man
Old 02-09-2002, 08:51 AM

i agree, they will certainly give you less if you car is modded... and i dont know about them switching everything over, you'll be paying for that one too. strip it down BEFORE you try to get them to price your car, better off selling it privately too for more $$... goodluck
Old 02-09-2002, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by JeepRage
i agree, they will certainly give you less if you car is modded... and i dont know about them switching everything over, you'll be paying for that one too. strip it down BEFORE you try to get them to price your car, better off selling it privately too for more $$... goodluck
You fellas weren't serious about switching seats, were you? Get ready to see some airbag lamps a flashin.

I could see this one unfolding. You know some dudes get car sales jobs just to be able to use the phone and talk for free, and when they get axed for not making any sales they go on to the next dealership. I could see the salesperson not even bothering to put the phone down for this one!
Old 02-09-2002, 09:19 AM

Hey man, when I have my 97 auto, i took it to the dealership fully modded with 4 friends and bought my 5 speed on the spot. I then took both cars back to my shop for about 3 days and we switched over all my mods...I was in the same situation, I didn't have all the stock parts.

I'd just go in there and tell them you need 3 days to have both cars together to switch parts...if he's a good salesman he won't mind.

also, get a pre-approved loan from your personal bank before going to buy a car. That way the dealership can't fu<k your credit by putting 10 inquiries on it like they did mine, plus adding in all kinds of financing bullsh!t.

Good luck