General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need Opinion On Rotors----------------

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 08:17 AM

Need Opinion On Rotors----------------

First of anyone hear of Paraut rotors? If so how are they? Now what are your opinions on xdrilled/slotted rotors? Do they really give you better braking power or just for looks?
Old 02-13-2002, 08:30 AM

The way that slotted / drilled rotors work (better) is that during hard, repeated braking the pad actually starts melting. As it melts it turns to gas. This gas has no place to go, it is trapped between the rotor and the pad. This gas cusion make braking real difficult.

The main finction of the slots / drill holes is to evacuate that gas, keeping the pad solidly connected to the rotor. The slots and especially the drilled help cool the pad during braking. It is not to cool the disk itself, or not the major reason.

One thing to note is that drilled rotors have the highest incidence of cracking, especially in colder climates.

Personally I would go for slotted.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bert
One thing to note is that drilled rotors have the highest incidence of cracking, especially in colder climates.
But not under normal driving conditions. I am also going for slotted next time. Right now I have crossed drilled and I want to see if there is any difference in stopping power.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:42 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by deezo
But not under normal driving conditions. I am also going for slotted next time. Right now I have crossed drilled and I want to see if there is any difference in stopping power.
Did you notice a difference from stock to x-drilled?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Did you notice a difference from stock to x-drilled?
Oh yeah! Less fade and a cool humming sound when stopping from high speeds.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:23 AM

Cheapest place to get slotted?
Old 02-13-2002, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
Cheapest place to get slotted?
I bought slotted rotors from Fastbrakes.com. It was a deal at the time, but I got all four slotted Rotors for 245. I got brake fluid, SS lines, pads, and rotors on all four corners for $500 Oh yeah I even got speed bleeders.

-hype
Old 02-13-2002, 12:29 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by xHypex

I bought slotted rotors from Fastbrakes.com. It was a deal at the time, but I got all four slotted Rotors for 245. I got brake fluid, SS lines, pads, and rotors on all four corners for $500 Oh yeah I even got speed bleeders.

-hype
Brian at fastbrakes.com is a good guy to deal with. I got my brakes from him and many of my friends have as well. I'm sure phuong is a great guy to deal with as well.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Brian at fastbrakes.com is a good guy to deal with. I got my brakes from him and many of my friends have as well. I'm sure phuong is a great guy to deal with as well.
Those rotors aren't cadmium plated, right?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:15 PM

How long do these slotted/drilled rotors last?

I had a pair of proslot slotted rotors on my thunderbird for a year and they are warped. (yes I followed all the break in procedures and put on new pads) Now what? I don't think you can turn them?

Is this a problem with the maxima? How long will they really last.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by got rice?

Phuong the rotors are Cad plated and it helps a lot for the rust around the hat. As long as I don't let my car sit for too long the rotors never get as rusty looking as stock either Actually for the record I've dealt with Phuong on 2 separate occasions and he's a great guy I would have ordered his brake set but I couldn't pass up the slotted rotors for less. If I remember correctly I got my lines and pads from Phuong.
-hype
Old 02-13-2002, 08:00 PM

I can't find the original thread because it was probably in the GD forum, but I did find this thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=51460
From Shing:
"Fastbrakes is offering a group buy pricing for a set of slotted rotors that are silver cad plated(won't rust) for $245 shipped. This is for all four... need 10 people to get the deal going at this price. "

I don't think the GD ever went through but I got them at this price and was very pleased with Brian's service.
-hype
Old 02-13-2002, 08:36 PM

Sloted and x drilled is going to give you the best stoping. If you can't get both x drilled is the best. The problem is x driled don't tend to have great life expectency, cuz well theve got holes in them
Old 02-14-2002, 05:46 AM
Conecarver

From Shing:
"Fastbrakes is offering a group buy pricing for a set of slotted rotors that are silver cad plated(won't rust) for $245 shipped. This is for all four... need 10 people to get the deal going at this price. "

I don't think the GD ever went through but I got them at this price and was very pleased with Brian's service.
-hype [/B][/QUOTE]

Brian hooked me up to on those CAD ones but pricing has since gone up ($275+ I think). Check with him for the latest. Again, great service.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:58 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by got rice?

Funny you should ask that Phuong, I actually bought the LAST SET of NON cad plated rotors that Brian sold. It was the last set he had in stock, and all his orders after mine were cad plated. I ordered them because I needed them for a lapping day, instead of waiting for the cad plated ones. He gave me a small discount on them because of that. Turns out I didn't get them until the actual track day. Of course I was AT the track when they came to my house, so it didn't help me out very much. I have bad luck like that.