General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 06:49 PM

Q to those with Supercharged maxes

1. I was wondering how much boost you guys get with the Stillen kit and how many of you have increased the boost from (I think) 5-7lbs using different pullies and who has gone the highest. I have heard 10.5-11.5 on a 3.125" pulley.

Also how many of you have put in ECU upgrades and which ones?

2. I have been searching around on the org for this information. I have found quite a lot of info but need some clarification to piece it all together.

I will be running turbo at 5-7 lbs boost, should I get 1 step or 2 step colder plugs? My tuner recommends at LEAST 1 step.

So either:

1-step NGK PFR6G-11
2-step NGK PFR7G-11
(platinums)

I have also seen that we should reduce the gap 0.005" for every 50 HP above stock. Is this IN ADDITION to running colder plugs? I believe stock plugs are 0.043", does that sound right?

I have read people recommending BKR6E/7E (coppers) too! So which ones?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2002, 05:35 AM

Lots of questions, most of which you answered yourself. 1 step is plenty for 6 psi, i run mine at about .040. I'm not running any ecu mods at all, everything is peachy with the ignition. I checked my plugs yesterday actually and they looked fine. When running boost, check your plugs frequently, just to be sure everything is running good in the chamber, plugs can tell you a lot.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:00 AM

Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Originally posted by nigelcmf
1. I was wondering how much boost you guys get with the Stillen kit and how many of you have increased the boost from (I think) 5-7lbs using different pullies and who has gone the highest. I have heard 10.5-11.5 on a 3.125" pulley.

Also how many of you have put in ECU upgrades and which ones?

2. I have been searching around on the org for this information. I have found quite a lot of info but need some clarification to piece it all together.

I will be running turbo at 5-7 lbs boost, should I get 1 step or 2 step colder plugs? My tuner recommends at LEAST 1 step.

So either:

1-step NGK PFR6G-11
2-step NGK PFR7G-11
(platinums)

I have also seen that we should reduce the gap 0.005" for every 50 HP above stock. Is this IN ADDITION to running colder plugs? I believe stock plugs are 0.043", does that sound right?

I have read people recommending BKR6E/7E (coppers) too! So which ones?

Thanks!
6 lbs is stock.

Highest boost Ive seen is 12, most run 9-10 when changeing. I run 10 now. 12 is pushing it.

Ecu mod worth doing for sure is haltech, though it's expensive and only if you really want to tune it great and with good amount of boost.

1 step colder = about 100hp gain
2 step colder = about 200hp gain

It's a generic rule if your close to one you go with it.
If your only going 5-7 on a turbo go with 1 step.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Originally posted by max'n out

6 lbs is stock.

Highest boost Ive seen is 12, most run 9-10 when changeing. I run 10 now. 12 is pushing it.

Ecu mod worth doing for sure is haltech, though it's expensive and only if you really want to tune it great and with good amount of boost.

1 step colder = about 100hp gain
2 step colder = about 200hp gain

It's a generic rule if your close to one you go with it.
If your only going 5-7 on a turbo go with 1 step.
Yours is a 5th gen. Is it much stronger in terms of component parts? I wonder if 4th gens can take 10 lbs of boost.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Yours is a 5th gen. Is it much stronger in terms of component parts? I wonder if 4th gens can take 10 lbs of boost.
4th is stronger 5th is weaker and can't technolgoy take the boost (tranny) ...for all gens with few mods i say stick to 9, though it depends on how much you wanna do. If you want to put the power down and acually use it you gotta do tranny mods, if you want alot of boost at a point you gotta change piston etc. You get the idea.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

4th is stronger 5th is weaker and can't technolgoy take the boost (tranny) ...for all gens with few mods i say stick to 9, though it depends on how much you wanna do. If you want to put the power down and acually use it you gotta do tranny mods, if you want alot of boost at a point you gotta change piston etc. You get the idea.
Huh? 4th gen is stronger? That's news to me! (I am not too familiar with 5th gens)

As far as tranny goes, what tranny mods do you have in mind? Mine is a 5sp so no VB mod for me!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Huh? 4th gen is stronger? That's news to me! (I am not too familiar with 5th gens)

As far as tranny goes, what tranny mods do you have in mind? Mine is a 5sp so no VB mod for me!
4th is stronger is some ways and 5th is stronger in others. You know hand full of one half of another.

After what I found out about Don's vb mod, i will never recomend that to anybody at all again.

But for a 4th gen with 10 psi on the tranny I recomend, great clutch, flywheel, short shift kit, at least. If you want to go farther well you can.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

After what I found out about Don's vb mod, i will never recomend that to anybody at all again.

What did you find out???

Old 02-20-2002, 09:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Originally posted by MadMax95

What did you find out???

I'll be telling soon, I just gotta make sure I get it right, I'm not trying to slader him, just very disapointed with what I was told.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:19 AM
BlkCat

Let us know when you can. Thanks!

I'm quite happy with my VB mod ever since I've fiddled with my Blitz BOV.

Old 02-20-2002, 10:56 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

If it's that his VB mod is the same as a Transgo kit, then save your breath because there different, otherwise, post away...

I'll be telling soon, I just gotta make sure I get it right, I'm not trying to slader him, just very disapointed with what I was told.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Originally posted by mtrai760
If it's that his VB mod is the same as a Transgo kit, then save your breath because there different, otherwise, post away...

Relax, your going down the wrong path. You have no clue what Im going to say, all will be explained soon.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So you'll let the word out when???
Old 02-20-2002, 01:31 PM

Wow... I wanna know now... I still need a VB for my Automagic. Anyone know of a good place i can get it done in Southern Cali?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:41 PM

Just a quick question:

What other kind of tranny mods are there? I know of the ACT clutch and pressure plate. How about the transmission itself. I know about engine fortification but not much about transmission (gearbox)

Thanks
Old 02-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just a quick question:

What other kind of tranny mods are there? I know of the ACT clutch and pressure plate. How about the transmission itself. I know about engine fortification but not much about transmission (gearbox)

Thanks
Of course the quaife right?
www.cattman.com

I am installing mine next week FINALLY! I have had it since OCTOBER, but have been waiting on parts from Hogan yo_its_ok since.
See for more info:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=99961

There are many happy users of the quiafe! Cattman has some commments/reviews available. Also, Lyt97 is selling his max and has his quaife forsale, never installed it and he got it at the intro price of $1250 shipped, so this is your chance to save over $220 on it! Get it now!!!!!!! Eric D Wong installed it himself, ask him for feedback. =)

For autos: shadow is planning a LSD kit soon for only $800 preoder, than it goes up to $1000+ , these threads are in parts for sale and GDs!

Peace out!
Old 02-20-2002, 03:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Relax, your going down the wrong path. You have no clue what Im going to say, all will be explained soon.
Hmm I wonder what was found out. Why the wait?
Old 02-20-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q to those with Supercharged maxes

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX

Hmm I wonder what was found out. Why the wait?
It may or may not be big deal to people. Why wait? Cuz if I screw somthing technical up, it's slader and lies, and thats not my point to doing it. Just chill, all will be explained soon enough, I have nothing to gain by doing this.