General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 01:26 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38302

Toyota seems to behave in a manner Nissan would regarding problems.

I'm disappointed in their initial behavior.

For the Do-it-yourselfers: this is why an analysis and/or close receipt records of when you change your oil and what you use are important. Knowing Nissan, they would try to pull this non-coverage crap in a second.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I feel sorry for that Sienna owner. A few years ago my friend went through a similar ordeal with his 4runner. His 4runner blew a headgasket. There was a recall issued by Toyota on the headgasket and he still had problems with them. Eventually they foot the bill for the repairs.

I just received a box of Blackstone Lab sample containers. I'm going to have an analysis done on my engine and tranny fluid. My Nissan warranty already expired, but I still have a 3rd party extended warranty contract on my Maxima in effect. I want to prevent any doubts of how I maintain my Maxima when the need to make a claim arises. I have never made a claim on any 3rd party extended warranty provider so I dont know how **** they will be.

I am a DIYer and I keep meticulous records. I also keep a log of oil level checks, noting the level on the dipstick. I keep a log of my fuel economy. I also keep all of my old receipts for my past vehicles to demonstrate my history of proper maintenance and care of vehicles if they question my "competency".
Old 02-18-2002, 03:18 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

yep I have mine in the mail.. thanks bill.. your only 1/2 as evil as everyone says
Old 02-18-2002, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by bags533
yep I have mine in the mail.. thanks bill.. your only 1/2 as evil as everyone says

bags533 for trying to "ruin" my reputation.

I'm evil. Really.....HONEST I AM!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 03:26 PM

Ouch, sounds like Toyota has some issues. I especially liked the part about using 100% synthetic oil
Old 02-18-2002, 03:30 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by bill99gxe

bags533 for trying to "ruin" my reputation.

I'm evil. Really.....HONEST I AM!!!!!!!!!

my evil plan to make you nice is working out well
Old 02-18-2002, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
I feel sorry for that Sienna owner. A few years ago my friend went through a similar ordeal with his 4runner. His 4runner blew a headgasket. There was a recall issued by Toyota on the headgasket and he still had problems with them. Eventually they foot the bill for the repairs.

I just received a box of Blackstone Lab sample containers. I'm going to have an analysis done on my engine and tranny fluid. My Nissan warranty already expired, but I still have a 3rd party extended warranty contract on my Maxima in effect. I want to prevent any doubts of how I maintain my Maxima when the need to make a claim arises. I have never made a claim on any 3rd party extended warranty provider so I dont know how **** they will be.

I am a DIYer and I keep meticulous records. I also keep a log of oil level checks, noting the level on the dipstick. I keep a log of my fuel economy. I also keep all of my old receipts for my past vehicles to demonstrate my history of proper maintenance and care of vehicles if they question my "competency".
Cool, you shouldn't have any problems.

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sharing those results with me to add on to the Oil Analysis spreadsheet. Your paricipation would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by bags533

my evil plan to make you nice is working out well

Old 02-18-2002, 09:33 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Cool, you shouldn't have any problems.

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sharing those results with me to add on to the Oil Analysis spreadsheet. Your paricipation would be appreciated.
Sure thing. Stupid question but do you know how long it takes for Blackstone to send me the results?
Old 02-19-2002, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

Sure thing. Stupid question but do you know how long it takes for Blackstone to send me the results?
They're pretty prompt. It takes one week for me to get the results from putting it in the mail to getting a report back in the mail.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38302

Toyota seems to behave in a manner Nissan would regarding problems.

I'm disappointed in their initial behavior.

For the Do-it-yourselfers: this is why an analysis and/or close receipt records of when you change your oil and what you use are important. Knowing Nissan, they would try to pull this non-coverage crap in a second.
Very interesting story. I recently received my Blackstone sample kits BUT I forgot to use one this past weekend when I changed my oil. I'll get it next time though. Very interesting comment on 100% synthethic oil. My 2K1 is pushing 17K miles now so I'm looking into some synthetic ATF and will also perform the analysis on the stock Nissan fluid when I drop it. I'll pass you the details as I get them Bill.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:09 AM

Re: Re: An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

Very interesting story. I recently received my Blackstone sample kits BUT I forgot to use one this past weekend when I changed my oil.

I'll get it next time though. Very interesting comment on 100% synthethic oil. My 2K1 is pushing 17K miles now so I'm looking into some synthetic ATF and will also perform the analysis on the stock Nissan fluid when I drop it. I'll pass you the details as I get them Bill.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:35 AM

This is very interesting! It also tells me not to buy Toyota! But what do you do if you find something is wrong?

Glycol = leaky head gasket => replace gasket before more damage is done!

How about other stuff? ... or should I search?
Old 02-19-2002, 07:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

[/B]

Hey, can't win em all Bill! I'll make it up to ya somehow! There ya go. Seriously though, since I'm buying synthetic oil over the internet, etc. how do I keep good enough records that Nissan would appreciate in the event of a problem? I change the oil myself so there are no Jiffy Lube receipts to be shown. Am I screwed here? Am I screwed if I have written data showing 7500 or greater miles between oil changes even with Amsoil oil and filter? It almost seems like I'm stuck during the warranty period with going no more than 7500 miles between changes just to keep Nissan *** happy. If that's the case then is the API certified Amsoil offering the better alternative to the 25K version? That sucks that Toyota would pull something like that, but you'd really think Lexus would want to keep their "Elite" customers, especially if deep down in their recesses they know that the problem is design related and not maintainence.....
Old 02-19-2002, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

Hey, can't win em all Bill! I'll make it up to ya somehow! There ya go. Seriously though, since I'm buying synthetic oil over the internet, etc. how do I keep good enough records that Nissan would appreciate in the event of a problem? I change the oil myself so there are no Jiffy Lube receipts to be shown. Am I screwed here? Am I screwed if I have written data showing 7500 or greater miles between oil changes even with Amsoil oil and filter? It almost seems like I'm stuck during the warranty period with going no more than 7500 miles between changes just to keep Nissan *** happy. If that's the case then is the API certified Amsoil offering the better alternative to the 25K version? That sucks that Toyota would pull something like that, but you'd really think Lexus would want to keep their "Elite" customers, especially if deep down in their recesses they know that the problem is design related and not maintainence.....
I think keeping receipts of your oil/filter purchases AND getting an analysis done by Blackstone is the best way to ward off Nissan's lawyers should issues arise. Receipts alone probably won't cut it.

Your other choice is to go to a Nissan dealer or Jiffy Lube and keep their receipts.

Their whole case would be predicated around painting you as ignorant or stupid when it comes to automobile maintenance.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

I think keeping receipts of your oil/filter purchases AND getting an analysis done by Blackstone is the best way to ward off Nissan's lawyers should issues arise. Receipts alone probably won't cut it.

Your other choice is to go to a Nissan dealer or Jiffy Lube and keep their receipts.

Their whole case would be predicated around painting you as ignorant or stupid when it comes to automobile maintenance.
I thought the lady said she had receipts from Jiffylube proving she had the oil changed? It sounds like Toyota is trying to drag their feet with her case until it becomes to expensive for her to fight them so she'll just go away.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

Originally posted by iwannabmw

I thought the lady said she had receipts from Jiffylube proving she had the oil changed? It sounds like Toyota is trying to drag their feet with her case until it becomes to expensive for her to fight them so she'll just go away.
Exactly, which just further amplifies the need for the analysis results at each oil change, which would point out the buildup of sludge and/or independently prove her oil changes were adequate for her engine and driving conditions.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting article on why to have your oil analyzed.....

Exactly, which just further amplifies the need for the analysis results at each oil change, which would point out the buildup of sludge and/or independently prove her oil changes were adequate for her engine and driving conditions.
I agree with what you're saying, but my point is that I get the feeling Toyota wouldn't care and would still try to block her and hope she wouldn't push the issue like she obviously did. I have got to hand it to her, I think I would be just to frustrated to drag this out for the amount of time she has.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:26 PM

We too have experienced this problem with the Toyotas (at the auction where I work). We have had several (Camrys, Avalons and a few RX300s) we have ended up taking back after sold through the auction. Toyota wont budge for us either and usually we end up owning the vehicles and taking a loss on them. And we sell to new car Toyota dealers too!
I had an Avalon in my shop a few weeks ago that I pulled the front valve cover off. It left a block of sludge which was the exact shape of the valve cover underneath. The car only had 20K on it. No way, no how will I believe that a simple lack of oil changes will cause this in only 20K miles. Toyota has a design flaw with their head design or oil return passages.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:28 PM

Also, regarding the denied warranty issue, we have had some Honda's denied warranty coverage for engine problems because they didn't have a Honda factory oil filter installed.