General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My first real race tonight.. AWD Turbo 5spd Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 07:36 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My first real race tonight.. AWD Turbo 5spd Eclipse

Tonite me and two buddies were on our way back towards my house. One was rather large, 230lbs. the other, strong and built - 200lbs. So I had alot of extra weight.

I was just cruisin along when a red eclipse comes to my side. It was a late 90's one, the fast @ss AWD 5spd w/turbo..(how do I know? you'll find out later). I look over and his girlfriend smokin a cigarrette looks at me like "dumb kid" and he takes off. Well I gun it and follow behind him.

As We come up to a light and he is in front and sees that I am going straight, so he quickly changes outta the turn lane and gets in front of me. Light turns green and we go, and it widens into two lanes. we are goin about 40 and get side by sid. He looks at me for a second and then guns it. I saw his hand move (note-5spd manual) and I heard his back tires squeel and his engine went wahhhhhhh, so I knew he was those rocket-turbo's.So me with my two large buddies floor my automatic maxi and I take off. Kinda. It didn't pull nearly as hard as it does with only me in the car. So anyways, he got the head start, and slowly was pulling away from me. Took me by about 3 car lengths I'd say? Anyways it wasnt fair cause everytime we went he didn't give a signal, he just floored it and got the damn head start.

We did this a couple times. He kept beating me pretty badly. Not nearly as bad as I got beaten by my friend in his 01 lightning, but he (eclipse) pulled away slowly but surely. I'd say when we got to around 60 I was very slowly catching up, (2 3/4 carlengths )

After we "ran" a few times he turned off and made a U-turn. No thumbs up or any of these kind gestures you guys seem to always make.

Anyways, I feel ashamed. I KNOW if I was alone I wouldnt of been had as bad. And I kept tellin' my boys "once I get that 5spd I won't be gettin had like that"

So here is the basic car match-up:

-90's red eclipse 5spd manual turbocharged, w/ AWD

-me, '95 Maxima SE 4spd automatic with catback exhaust, Y-pipe, and CAI.

Give me some feedback guys. Anyone who knows about these cars, I'd like to know about them and stuff.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:45 PM

shoulda beat him
Old 02-18-2002, 07:48 PM

pass the weed

Originally posted by Kyle7475
shoulda beat him
Old 02-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: My first real race tonight.. AWD Turbo 5spd Eclipse

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Anyways, I feel ashamed.
why are you ashamed??? 195hp AWD turbo, runs low 15's stock(if not high 14's)....you're an auto, no comp for him at all!! no way you'll come close to beating beat him without an SC. The Eclipse/Talons are fast cars if done up right....with only ~$700 bucks in mods and a few "free mods" we took my boys '95 GST from 14.87 to high 13's(on only 12 psi) on abad clutch....IMO mod for mod it will beat most Max's maybe except for the 2ks+...but then theres that good 'ole Mistu reliability *insert toilet flushing sound*
Old 02-18-2002, 07:50 PM

My friend has a 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, and ran 14.9 stock. I'd stay Craig did pretty damn good considering he had 400+ lbs of added weight.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:51 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

shoulda beat him
in what lifetime???
Old 02-18-2002, 07:53 PM

Old 02-18-2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

in what lifetime???
yea, I mean I have no idea what kinda boost this guy is running, but if his tires can squeel at 40mph, then you know he's got some ***** under that hood

BTW, when I get my 5spd conversion, would I be able to squeel the tires at that speed ?
Old 02-18-2002, 07:58 PM

shoulda beat him
yeah, right. i got beat by a modded one on the highway one day but it was only a gs-t (turbo without AWD) they are not slow cars. in stock form they run high 14s but if they're modded, forget about it. i just saw a gs-t run a 13 at the track yesterday.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

or he just has balding tires and shifts like a maniac!

but if his tires can squeel at 40mph, then you know he's got some ***** under that hood
Old 02-18-2002, 08:37 PM

Turbo = good Maxima vs Turbo talon/eclispe = dont think soooo
Old 02-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Good stuff Craig, you didn't win but at least you didn't get blown away cuz those cars are mad fast with the right mods. Anyways keep it safe and happy killing....
Old 02-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They are not unbeatable

I have beaten two that live near me back home, they are not unbeatable. They can run high 14's stock, but thats with an AWD launch. I have been beaten from a stop, but on a roll where the launch can't help them, I start pulling away the second we get on it, and I never look back. You just have to know the strengths of your car and the weaknesses of the car you are racing.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:28 PM

Re: My first real race tonight.. AWD Turbo 5spd Eclipse

Tonite me and two buddies were on our way back towards my house. One was rather large, 230lbs. the other, strong and built - 200lbs. So I had alot of extra weight.

I was just cruisin along when a red eclipse comes to my side. It was a late 90's one, the fast @ss AWD 5spd w/turbo..(how do I know? you'll find out later). I look over and his girlfriend smokin a cigarrette looks at me like "dumb kid" and he takes off. Well I gun it and follow behind him.

As We come up to a light and he is in front and sees that I am going straight, so he quickly changes outta the turn lane and gets in front of me. Light turns green and we go, and it widens into two lanes. we are goin about 40 and get side by sid. He looks at me for a second and then guns it. I saw his hand move (note-5spd manual) and I heard his back tires squeel and his engine went wahhhhhhh, so I knew he was those rocket-turbo's.So me with my two large buddies floor my automatic maxi and I take off. Kinda. It didn't pull nearly as hard as it does with only me in the car. So anyways, he got the head start, and slowly was pulling away from me. Took me by about 3 car lengths I'd say? Anyways it wasnt fair cause everytime we went he didn't give a signal, he just floored it and got the damn head start.

We did this a couple times. He kept beating me pretty badly. Not nearly as bad as I got beaten by my friend in his 01 lightning, but he (eclipse) pulled away slowly but surely. I'd say when we got to around 60 I was very slowly catching up, (2 3/4 carlengths )

After we "ran" a few times he turned off and made a U-turn. No thumbs up or any of these kind gestures you guys seem to always make.

Anyways, I feel ashamed. I KNOW if I was alone I wouldnt of been had as bad. And I kept tellin' my boys "once I get that 5spd I won't be gettin had like that"

So here is the basic car match-up:

-90's red eclipse 5spd manual turbocharged, w/ AWD

-me, '95 Maxima SE 4spd automatic with catback exhaust, Y-pipe, and CAI.

Give me some feedback guys. Anyone who knows about these cars, I'd like to know about them and stuff.
i burned a turboed eclipse on the highway, but i doubt i can beat my friend's eclipse, that runs mid 14's.
hes getting a stage 2 turbo thats gonna run 12's/
Old 02-18-2002, 09:55 PM

Turbo Eclipses are Fast!

Turbo eclise are fast. Maybe he was just toying with
you, if you are able to hang with it. I know this
because my brother has a GSX and he does it to me
most of the time.

zeo
Old 02-18-2002, 10:43 PM

Re: Turbo Eclipses are Fast!

Originally posted by zzeeoo
Turbo eclise are fast. Maybe he was just toying with
you, if you are able to hang with it. I know this
because my brother has a GSX and he does it to me
most of the time.

zeo
I doubt that he was toying with him....they aren't THAT fast...I mean come on....Craig has intake and full exhaust....an AUTO max with those mods should be low 15s and a stock DSM is low 15s to high 14s...

BTW- Craig...how do you know it was a AWD GSX.....if it was stock...there's no way he could chirp them on a 40 launch....no way...it was probably a FWD GS-T....hence the chirp.
Also....a 3rd gen AWD DSM has 210hp...not 195...and the FWD version has 205...
Old 02-18-2002, 10:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't feel so bad Craig. Last year in October I was at the track in fact maybe you've heard of it; Orlando Dragway in Bithlo off highway 50. Anyways I messed up on my shifts w/auto and the guy beat me by like 10 car lenghts. I ran a pathetic 16.3 and he ran a 12.2. So trust me with just a little bit of mods those early 90's model turbo Eclipse's and Talon's will own just about anything on the road.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:26 AM

Which 90's we talking about? I use to own a DSM myself. 89-94 are Gen 1 & the 95-99 are Gen 2's. The Gen 3's are 2k & up. They stuck in the optional V6 in the 2k & up. I personally thought they should have stayed with the 4G63 since it has so much potential. Nothing like running 9's w/o nitrous on a 4 banger. Also not too bad having a 10 sec daily driver.

They run 190hp and are a low 15's with an avg driver & a high 14's with a skilled driver. Def. nothing special.

If you want more info on them go to www.dsm.org

They arent that fast stock but do basic mods such as intake, d/p, catback, MBC, & S-AFC and they are low 14's to high 13's. They are liked b/c it doesnt take much for those cars to be fast. The 4G63 motor is built with a pretty low compression so it can handle a great amount of boost stock. I htink their compression is 8:1. I didnt have much luck wiht mine. IMHO they are junk, their transmissions & esp. their engines. After i hit 80k miles, i had nothing but problems.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by 1BADMAX
Don't feel so bad Craig. Last year in October I was at the track in fact maybe you've heard of it; Orlando Dragway in Bithlo off highway 50. Anyways I messed up on my shifts w/auto and the guy beat me by like 10 car lenghts. I ran a pathetic 16.3 and he ran a 12.2.:ee: So trust me with just a little bit of mods those early 90's model turbo Eclipse's and Talon's will own just about anything on the road.
What up! Ya i've heard of it! Me and my friends plan to run their sometime pretty soon..

Iilac I know if you were alone, you could probubly walk him!

Briguy, what up ..I was just gonna PM you and ask you about this becuase I know you are 5spd and fast. We were going about 35-40 and I looked at his back tires cause I heard a loud screetch and I heard his turbo...maybe a FWD turbo ? Anyways his car looked bone stock, it probubly is a sleeper.

Anyways Briguy, you know that "Factory freak" Auto max that you only beat by like 1 car length that beat several 5spd max's ? Well, have you ever raced any other auto maxima's ? I ask this becuase I plan to convert to 5spd VERY soon, things are already set up for it, but if manuals arent that much faster than autos then...

But remember guys, I am auto but I ALSO had alot of extra weight, if I was alone I feel my chances woulda been alot better...
Old 02-19-2002, 03:44 PM

What up! Ya i've heard of it! Me and my friends plan to run their sometime pretty soon..

Iilac I know if you were alone, you could probubly walk him!

Briguy, what up ..I was just gonna PM you and ask you about this becuase I know you are 5spd and fast. We were going about 35-40 and I looked at his back tires cause I heard a loud screetch and I heard his turbo...maybe a FWD turbo ? Anyways his car looked bone stock, it probubly is a sleeper.

Anyways Briguy, you know that "Factory freak" Auto max that you only beat by like 1 car length that beat several 5spd max's ? Well, have you ever raced any other auto maxima's ? I ask this becuase I plan to convert to 5spd VERY soon, things are already set up for it, but if manuals arent that much faster than autos then...

But remember guys, I am auto but I ALSO had alot of extra weight, if I was alone I feel my chances woulda been alot better...
Every other AUTO max that I have run I have literally DESTROYED....I beat a stock 96 SE AUTO last week by 3-4 carlengths to 60.....go for the 5-speed conversion....with your mods..and even with that extra weight in the car...you could easily take a stock Eclipse Turbo....
Old 02-19-2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Every other AUTO max that I have run I have literally DESTROYED....I beat a stock 96 SE AUTO last week by 3-4 carlengths to 60.....go for the 5-speed conversion....with your mods..and even with that extra weight in the car...you could easily take a stock Eclipse Turbo....
Thats music to my ears
Old 02-19-2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Brians car is SLOW...especially on the juice.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Brians car is SLOW...especially on the juice.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:18 PM

BTW, when I get my 5spd conversion, would I be able to squeel the tires at that speed ?
Easily. Not just chirp but a nice squeal.... oh wait you have a maxima.... it's more like a SLAM..... Shudder.... squeal (wheel hop).

Heh heh. Hell you can do it at 50. Second at 50 floor it pop clutch.... while hell on the clutch it sure suprises people. And it'll probably surprise me the first time I bust a motor mount heh heh.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Yoritomo

And it'll probably surprise me the first time I bust a motor mount heh heh.
Damn

...And all this time I thought the squeelige was a natural, safe-on-the-tranny act
Old 02-19-2002, 07:58 PM

From a roll, you have the best chance of beating a stock 2nd gen AWD Turbo Talon/Eclipse. Their AWD system makes the car as heavy or heavier than your max.
My friend's modified '95 Talon TSi AWD broke into the high 11's last season, capable of beating Vipers. He's been told it's the quickest in the New England area. I think he's running around 1.5 bar of boost now. He's adding a water-injection system to the intake soon.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:17 PM

my limited experience with these cars

makes me disagree with some here. I ran a GST at the 1/8 mile, i won once by a few tenths and then he won by 4/1000s. at that time i had an intake. 5spd also. with my Y ill kill em. and i agree, i dont know that was an allwheel drive if its wheels chirped at 40.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:48 PM

you get an A for effort

racing tip .... lose the fat guys
Old 02-20-2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by MarkG
you get an A for effort

racing tip .... lose the fat guys
Old 02-20-2002, 03:33 PM

Damn

...And all this time I thought the squeelige was a natural, safe-on-the-tranny act
Spinning the tires is fine and fun...... Bouncing the front wheels around like they were Jenna Jameson's ....s probably isn't too good for the car. My car's perfect right now but I'm not gonna complain when I finally break something. I drive it pretty hard.

Actually hard clutch work is better for the clutch but worse for other parts of the car. I've never broken a motor mountbut have heard of other people doing so. Wheel hop doesn't always happen I'm exaggerating. Most of the time the wheels just spin and it's an ideal situation. But every once in a while..... whooo doggie my dash rattles like a 79 Camaro, the wheels bounce like a **** and I feel gay if anyone's in the car with me.

5-speed = worth it.

Nothin like 3rd gear from 70 to 100 in a 5 speed in an impromptu highway battle. Or 40 up..... Launching really isn't all that fun in a five speed you always feel like you're hurting something. Whether it's the clutch, the wheels, or silicone.... heh heh.

DBTH - BJ