General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is a brake fade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 08:12 PM

In one of the posts this dude said he braked hard and there was so much brake fade that he missed his stock brakes. What is it?

That reminds me, about 2 months ago I went to Midas to get my front brake specials done ($90 bucks for changing pads and resurfacing the rotors) but this mean, fat, smelly, asian and negro hating redneck mechanic said I'm gonna need new rotors too so I ended up paying like $400 bucks. I only had 75,000 miles at the time and 60 percent of miles were from highway driving where I dont brake for 4,5 hours. I think I got ripped off man. I can't believe there are such mean redneck mechanics in Washington DC area, in the place called the Silicon Valley of the East.
Old 11-16-2000, 08:19 PM
The missing moderator

Brake fade:

when you step on the brakes, the peddle sinks to the floor car doesn't stop... or when you get on the brakes, peddle doesn't sink, but car does not stop.

There are a few types of fade:
1) fluide fade: when the brake fluid boils and there are steam/gas in the brake line. fluid does not compress, but air does.
2) pad fade: caused by the brake pads releasing a gas from over heating. This gas gets in between the pad and the rotor causing no friction or reduced friction.
3) line fade: Stock lines are rubber... they expend when hot. So when you brake hard, it gets hot, line expands, fade.

Fading is VERY dangerous.

Fix:
1) better brake pads... like Axxis metal master.
2) Slotted rotors to help releave gassing
3) stainless steel brake lines
4) DOT 4 rated fluid. Don't use DOT5 because it's silicone based and will eat through you seals.

-shing

Originally posted by hokiemax
In one of the posts this dude said he braked hard and there was so much brake fade that he missed his stock brakes. What is it?

That reminds me, about 2 months ago I went to Midas to get my front brake specials done ($90 bucks for changing pads and resurfacing the rotors) but this mean, fat, smelly, asian and negro hating redneck mechanic said I'm gonna need new rotors too so I ended up paying like $400 bucks. I only had 75,000 miles at the time and 60 percent of miles were from highway driving where I dont brake for 4,5 hours. I think I got ripped off man. I can't believe there are such mean redneck mechanics in Washington DC area, in the place called the Silicon Valley of the East.
Old 11-16-2000, 09:57 PM

Actually it's called green fading...

I read that in a magazing...
Old 11-16-2000, 10:17 PM
The missing moderator

Re: Actually it's called green fading...

Originally posted by PiotrC70
What's called green fading? Never heard of that term and I've done a bit of research on brakes.

-Shing
Old 11-16-2000, 10:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok I just noticed that I have brake fade

its not the rotors they are brand new, pads maybe . But I just replaced the pads twice already in the past year. this will be my tird time in a year. I wittness this whe nI brake hard and it takes awhile for me to stop, too long. There is also a sound like the metal heating up or its like a fading sound. like a vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv sound. What could be the problem? help me out? Please.

[Edited by max88q on 11-17-2000 at 12:47 AM]
Old 11-16-2000, 11:38 PM

Shingles....

I read in Sport Compact car when they were doing brake testing on aftermarket brakes they used that term... S**T I lost the magazine so I can't quote the exact thing that they said. But they used it this way, the harder you push on the brake, the less your car slows down, also knows as green fading.
That's the best I can recall.
Old 11-17-2000, 03:46 AM

Re: Re: Actually it's called green fading...

Originally posted by Shingles
What's called green fading? Never heard of that term and I've done a bit of research on brakes.

-Shing
Piot.. green fading is when the pad gets glazed initially when it doesn't get a chance to bed-in correctly (gas buildup). Brake fade is when the pad is broken in, but the pad itself is beyond it's heat range and cannot adequately produce friction to stop the rotor. Stock pads have a coefficient rating of around .38 to .40. Aftermarket semi-metallic pads are in the range of .50 to .60.. much less fade resistant.
Old 11-17-2000, 03:48 AM

Re: ok I just noticed that I have brake fade

Originally posted by max88q
its not the rotors they are brand new, pads maybe . But I just replaced the pads twice already in the past year. this will be my tird time in a year. I wittness this whe nI brake hard and it takes awhile for me to stop, too long. There is also a sound like the metal heating up or its like a fading sound. like a vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv sound. What could be the problem? help me out? Please.

[Edited by max88q on 11-17-2000 at 12:47 AM]
are you using stock pads? If so, it's normal. OE pads were built to stop good when cold and so-so when heated up. Aftermarket pads will stop better when heated up and so-so when cold. My Axxis pads take usually one jab at the brakes the first thing in the morning. ONce the initial bite heats them up, they stop much better.
Old 11-17-2000, 08:24 AM
The missing moderator

Re: Re: Re: Actually it's called green fading...

Ahh that makes sense. I just wasn't sure what he was referring to.

4 ways to fade.

-Shing

Originally posted by got rice?
Originally posted by Shingles

-Shing
Piot.. green fading is when the pad gets glazed initially when it doesn't get a chance to bed-in correctly (gas buildup). Brake fade is when the pad is broken in, but the pad itself is beyond it's heat range and cannot adequately produce friction to stop the rotor. Stock pads have a coefficient rating of around .38 to .40. Aftermarket semi-metallic pads are in the range of .50 to .60.. much less fade resistant.
Old 11-17-2000, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

but tis scary though its happend on occasions that

even so it happened in the morning once. I braked and that sound came and as I braked harder no shorter stopping distance. It sucked. But of course I also have rubber brake lines so that could play a factor. I really dont plan on switching to metal brake lines so would it be to get after market brake pads? The worst thing is do they have any for an '88 max?
Old 11-17-2000, 02:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Actually it's called green fading...

Ah yes, that does make sense. Thank you, I stand corrected.
Got Rice?, Shingles, you guys probably know more than me, I was just trying to sound smart... j/k...