General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

dumber (but not as dangerous) as my incident with jackstands.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 04:10 PM

dumber (but not as dangerous) as my incident with jackstands.

I learned that before i work on my car i will start taking an inventory. Where did my flashlight go I wondered. Hmm... probably nowhere bad. Wrong. After working on my muffler one night i drove home and heard a weird rubbing noise from starting from a stop. A few days later a friend told me he saw something hanging from under my car. I got out and checked today and guess where the flashlight was. wedged between the axle and the rotor. I am a moron. It was a mag light too, and it still works after being down there 3 days. Oh god i am stupid.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I opened the hood the other day to check my oil, in front of the stock ram air scoop was a phillips screwdriver. I must have left it there when I changed the belts a few day before, glad I didn't leave it somewhere where it might have caused some damage. Your not the only absentminded one
Old 02-24-2002, 05:14 PM

One time I left a screwdriver on top of my mom's minivan and found it at a gas station 50 miles down the road. This was 70MPH driving too. It was in the groove on the sides of the roof. Good thing I wasn't driving or I think it would have gone bye bye.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:19 PM

Just last week I was adjusting the connections for my HID's and closed the hood while my flashlight was sitting on the light housing. I get ready to get into my car the next morning and see that my hood is not closed on one side thinking that someone had been under the hood. I open the hood and there is my flashlight. I had to smack myself for that one.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:13 PM

I had my car up on jackstands while I was working on my exhaust. I went inside after I was done and didn't realize it was still on them when I climbed into my car when it was dark to go to the store. I started up my car and put it into reverse and hit the gas. The front tires were just touching the ground, not alot but just barely to get that scratchy noise. then I remembered...
Old 02-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
I had my car up on jackstands while I was working on my exhaust. I went inside after I was done and didn't realize it was still on them when I climbed into my car when it was dark to go to the store. I started up my car and put it into reverse and hit the gas. The front tires were just touching the ground, not alot but just barely to get that scratchy noise. then I remembered...

Not to laugh at you guys but some of this is funny when you think about it. Like me and Mardigrasmax where installing his shocks and he put the rear shock boot on the front one , so when I install the other shock I installed the correct boot and he looked at the one he installed and said darn freaking Cattman sent me the wrong one!!! and then we opened the other two boxes and there it was we had to take that shock off and install the correct boot on. I thought it was funny since he said man I had a hard time putting on that boot, hehe I know he was fighting putting it on.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:09 PM

Yep, when you work on cars long enough you're bound to do something stupid once in a while. I now consciously make sure all my tools are in the correct slots at the end of every job since I'm tired of losing them. I once left a wrench wedged up under the dash in my Jeep for 6 months before I found it, of course by then I had replaced it.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:17 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Note to self - "never ask these guys to help me with a install"
Old 02-24-2002, 11:35 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

You're Mean.

Originally posted by Chunger
Note to self - "never ask these guys to help me with a install"
Old 02-24-2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
You're Mean.

you make a lot of mistakes? Stupidest thing I have done was put three nuts on a wheel and go in to get the phone and forget about the other 2..
Old 02-24-2002, 11:47 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

You're Mean.

I should not ask myself to work on my car sometimes cuz I do the same stupid things. But, no one else would work on my car then.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:12 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Yea. I'd have to say thats pretty stupid. But Not as stupid as drive 500 miles with a rubber bungee attached to your spring and caliper.

*dont ask*

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
you make a lot of mistakes? Stupidest thing I have done was put three nuts on a wheel and go in to get the phone and forget about the other 2..
Old 02-25-2002, 01:03 AM

high

Yea. I'd have to say thats pretty stupid. But Not as stupid as drive 500 miles with a rubber bungee attached to your spring and caliper.

*dont ask*

hehe me too damm brakes
Old 02-25-2002, 02:37 AM

Re: high

Only real dumb thing i've done, besides the standard screwdriver left under the hood, is not being prepared when the stock y-pipe comes down. That thing is heavy, especially on your forehead.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:29 AM

Almost knocked a car off of a lift once. I was in a truck in the next bay forward and backed up a little too far. I heard a thump only to see the car in my rear view mirror start sliding backwards off the lift. When I jumped out of the truck the car was dangling on three out of the four lift arms (the fourth swung right out from under it). My coworkers rushed over and held up that side of the car while I let the lift down slowly. It was a BRAND new car - oops.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:29 AM

o yea how about driving the car with coilover dropped all the way and 2 doughnuts o boy i probably had a 5 inch drop
Old 02-25-2002, 05:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've opened the hood for one reason or another, and only shut it on the first latch. Then an hour or so later I'm driving down the highway wondering why my hood is shaking around so much?

Better yet, while dealing with spring noise from my H&R's, I loosened up the lug nuts on both wheels, only to do work on one. Tighten the wheel I worked on and drive. Whats this "NEW" noise I'm hearing at low speeds? Almost lost a wheel that time!