General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stillen Front Lip........

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 02:47 PM

I got my lip a month ago, and I wanted to know the best install method. Should I install the lip and then get it painted, or get it painted and then installed? thanks
Old 11-17-2000, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No need to say more. Get it painted first then install.

The body shop can do it all for you for about $150. I think that is the going rate but it depends on where you live. Make sure they use enough rivets to keep it on.

Ken

Originally posted by SilverMax
I got my lip a month ago, and I wanted to know the best install method. Should I install the lip and then get it painted, or get it painted and then installed? thanks
Old 11-17-2000, 03:12 PM

I was told just the oppisite,

I installed mine first then got it painted,the reason the paint shop gave was since you are going to be bending it when you install it the paint could crack or even worse chip off.I think either way will work fine for you but I think installing then painting is the safer route.Make sure you yous some Screws.Peace
Old 11-17-2000, 03:41 PM

out of curiosity, how much did the lip cost you guys (can't decide between the whole kit or just the lip)
thanks,
Old 11-17-2000, 04:00 PM

Hey blue, you should order the lip from Phuong, he has some good prices on it.
Old 11-17-2000, 04:45 PM

You should have it test fitted first to make sure everything is cosher. Once the test fit comes out OK, have everything prep. Remember, urethane requires to be heated first and/or mold release agents to be used. If not, it'll bubble up after being painted. Also use plenty of flex additive. Any competent shop can paint urethane.

I would recommend having it painted on the car. This allows the lip to be painted, but also allowing the surrounding bumper to be blended in.
Old 11-17-2000, 05:03 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

cosher? K

:
Old 12-12-2000, 09:51 PM

How will the fit of the front lip be affected if the bottom of your stock bumper is scraped? Will it cause a gap between the original bumper and the stillen lip? Or do the body shop guys know how to correct it when they mold the lip on? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2000, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by demian
How will the fit of the front lip be affected if the bottom of your stock bumper is scraped? Will it cause a gap between the original bumper and the stillen lip? Or do the body shop guys know how to correct it when they mold the lip on? Thanks.
how much is it scraped? if superficial, it won't be a problem. the nice thing w/ the lip is that it hides some of the previous booboos from curbs and driveways.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:38 AM

I'm lucky, I just ordered the full kit, and my best friend runs a paint and body shop out of his backyard, he;s ganna paint it for me and only charge me for paint. Thats gonna save me alot of money.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

On a side note...

I took the lip off my car a little while ago because it was falling of (didn't use enough screws). Also it was so scratched and beaten by the curbs that I sanded it down to repaint it. Well, now it looks like there's chunks missing from the urethane, if you can imagine what I'm saying, it's like... there's holes in the top layer where you see the layer below? Needless to say this is gonna look bad when I repaint it. Any ideas on how I can fix it up?

Chris
Old 12-13-2000, 07:33 AM

Proper method of install

First of all urethane products need to be properly cleaned to remove the mold agents that seep into the urethane. After washing the part should baked in a paint booth for a day.

Then cleaned again and fine sanded (2000+ grit). Then the part should be pre-fit on the car. After pre-fit then prime and paint w/ flex agents in the paint. The the part is installed on the car. The psrt is lightly saned (2000+ grit) and the painted on the car to allowing blending into existing panels. The clear coat is next.

Regards

Old 12-13-2000, 07:50 AM

Spolier costs

We can beat or match any advertised or verified prices.

Regards

Originally posted by theblue
out of curiosity, how much did the lip cost you guys (can't decide between the whole kit or just the lip)
thanks,
Old 12-13-2000, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by got rice?
Originally posted by demian
how much is it scraped? if superficial, it won't be a problem. the nice thing w/ the lip is that it hides some of the previous booboos from curbs and driveways.
well, its scraped about i'd say half a centimeter at the most, and none at the least. if you can imagine holding a flat plane to the bottom of your front bumper, then the degree angle from the rear portion of the front bumper to the front portion of the front bumper would be about 30 degrees.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:39 AM

Paint

I want to get the Stillen Kit temporary for now... But I want it to stand out... I also want to paint it red to go with the color scheme on my car... How would it look RED on BLACK... I saw a sig pic where this white max had a black kit and i thought it looked good... any feedback would help
Old 02-14-2001, 01:47 PM

stick with the color of your car. the two-tone look is so eighties