General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New Dyno's of ME/VI and 10psi+40shot!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
MATT,

I missed your dyno probably no biggie but I am happy for you that you got what you expected if not more out of your car. thats alot of power out that car twice as much power stock, I want to see the eyes of people at the track and this time we will have a camcorder at the stands my wife said she wants to come so hopefully it wont be that cold out there. And as for that dude that sold you that motor and knew it was messed up, dont worry as kind hearted as you are someone is watching over you and will handle that problem. As for me I owe you and was trying to come over perhaps if your not busy sunday I may come over just for 2 mins.

Jaime
speaking of the track..are the louisiana guys gonna have a meet at a track anytime soon?
Old 03-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by wope

speaking of the track..are the louisiana guys gonna have a meet at a track anytime soon?

March 16 me and Mike are planning on going to Hattiesburg, I dont think our senior Rep Matt wont be able to make it , but it should still be a littl fun though. Is just a good site to see his car smoke lots of V8s
Old 03-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by madmax2k

Nope! But, dont most dyno just about the same?

Ive never seen a 5th gen (even a 3.5L) hit 98 mph.

If you can consistently run over 97 mph with 183 whp, Ill be shocked! All the other 183-185 whp 4th gens seem to be around 93-94 mph.
I too was shocked at my trap speed. Honestly, I've only run that once Out of my 16 runs this year, 13 runs have been in the 96.Xmph range, one 94mph (missed 4th), one 95.Xmph, and then my 97.8 run.

It seems most 4th gens are putting down 175fwhp/185fwtq with my mods. I've only seen a couple that have plots over 180fwhp/190fwtq. Maybe I'll takeo ut my seats and see what she does..........NOT!!!!!

Dave
Old 03-04-2002, 03:10 PM

Hmmm.... wonder how much of a gain there would be on the NA side. Maybe some time this summer I could look into getting this.

Where there any part numbers or anything on the Manifold MARDIGRASMAX?

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 03:15 PM

Yes,
I would like to get all the part numbers for these items too.

The ME/VI manifold and this "OEM switch"

What all countries can we get this from anyway?
peace
Old 03-06-2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Prodeje79
Yes,
I would like to get all the part numbers for these items too.

The ME/VI manifold and this "OEM switch"

What all countries can we get this from anyway?
peace
From what it seems, the middle east and New Zealand.

SuDZ
Old 03-06-2002, 09:25 PM

Make some video's please
Old 03-07-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Maybe I'll takeo ut my seats and see what she does..........NOT!!!!!
Old 03-15-2002, 06:02 PM

Just wondering...

What happened to all of rOaD bEaSt's posts? I remember seeing him post atleast 3 times and they are all gone. He had a pic of his ME/VI installed and I wanted to look at it.

If you can't find the pics maybe you can answer a question. When the butterflies open at 5000 rpm, where is the air being pulled from? The engine bay or the air intake?
Old 03-16-2002, 03:43 PM

Still Wondering...

I can't find his posts either... did someone block them or delete them? Does anyone have pics of this thing installed, I would like to see the actuator, butterflies, etc.

Anyway, no one answered the question. Where do the ne butterflies suck the air from?
Old 03-16-2002, 11:10 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Still Wondering...

Originally posted by Slickismax
I can't find his posts either... did someone block them or delete them? Does anyone have pics of this thing installed, I would like to see the actuator, butterflies, etc.

Anyway, no one answered the question. Where do the ne butterflies suck the air from?
when the butterflies open all that happens is the path the air takes from the intake changes length from a long(torque) to a short(hp) path.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:52 PM

Still Still Wondering...

The questions were not answered. I am aware of the principle behind this device. However, where is the path changed to. I have seen pics of the top of the intake manifold. It has oval holes in it which are covered by a piece of metal. What is the purpose of these holes? Where do they suck air from and most IMPORTANTLY, how does in make the path shorter? Are there 6 new butterflies or just one? Where are the new included butterflies at?

Any detailed descriptions or even pics of the manifold installed would be much appreciated.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:24 PM

Re: Still Still Wondering...

Murphy TX Mike gave you the thread above. look for Keven97SE's description of what actually happens. The air does not take a different path to get thru the manifold, rather the volume of the manifold gets bigger, but the increase in volume is much closer to the intake. Think of that new area as a "pouch" for the extra air to sit.

DW

Originally posted by Erock
The questions were not answered. I am aware of the principle behind this device. However, where is the path changed to. I have seen pics of the top of the intake manifold. It has oval holes in it which are covered by a piece of metal. What is the purpose of these holes? Where do they suck air from and most IMPORTANTLY, how does in make the path shorter? Are there 6 new butterflies or just one? Where are the new included butterflies at?

Any detailed descriptions or even pics of the manifold installed would be much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:45 AM

Still Wondering...

I did read that thread and it was vague as well... How does the air get into the upper reservoir? There is a constant vacuum in that manifold while the engine is running so why would air end up in that reservoir? Also if the butterflies are closed up to 5000 rpm how does the air collect? Also, wouldn't the amount of air available be limited, in other words, it would run out very quickly. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Still Wondering...

Think of it like this: Your Maxima has the VI installed. You are parked in your driveway, you put the car in neutral and rev to 5000 rpm, the rpm switch activates and pulls the butterflies open, and they stay open since you're holding the car at 5K rpm or above. So, in this scenario, vacuum is not constant. When the input cam closes the valve, the other side, towards your airfilter is always open. For that brief moment, air (that was already rushing in before) rushes into the pouch and waits for the input cam to open the valve again. It can't be a total absolute vacuum like outer space in there.

DW

I did read that thread and it was vague as well... How does the air get into the upper reservoir? There is a constant vacuum in that manifold while the engine is running so why would air end up in that reservoir? Also if the butterflies are closed up to 5000 rpm how does the air collect? Also, wouldn't the amount of air available be limited, in other words, it would run out very quickly. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:02 PM

NOW we are getting somewhere...

However, I still don't see how air is collected it the butterflies are closed all of the time. If I understand correctly... the only time they would open would be 5k rpm and above and at that time air is being sucked out and down into the lower plenum. So how is the air collected?

If you were to put the car in 1st gear and drive down the road slowly creeping up in engine speed with changing gears... and continued to drive for a solid 20 seconds at 5.5k rpm would, at the end of that time would there be no air left... thus returning the engine air path to the original path of flow? Whooooh... I think that was a runon!

All this banter and we have not even seen this VI dynoed on an NA car. I see it working, but it must have its limits. I definately don't see 20+ at the wheels NA.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: NOW we are getting somewhere...

I see what you are saying. I don't think the butterflies are a vacuum tight seal. It's like the throttle body. It can seal itself enough for the engine to die of air starvation, but its not vacuum tight. The butterflies in the VI are just resistant enough so the travelling air will simply take the path of least resistance, with the valves open, from the pouch. With the valves closed, from the stock intake plenum. I don't think there is ever a time when all the air is completely evacuated from that pouch area. If that was the case, then the vacuum of the pouch would be pulling the butterflies open at lower rpms

DW

However, I still don't see how air is collected it the butterflies are closed all of the time. If I understand correctly... the only time they would open would be 5k rpm and above and at that time air is being sucked out and down into the lower plenum. So how is the air collected?

If you were to put the car in 1st gear and drive down the road slowly creeping up in engine speed with changing gears... and continued to drive for a solid 20 seconds at 5.5k rpm would, at the end of that time would there be no air left... thus returning the engine air path to the original path of flow? Whooooh... I think that was a runon!

All this banter and we have not even seen this VI dynoed on an NA car. I see it working, but it must have its limits. I definately don't see 20+ at the wheels NA.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:58 PM

who cares, look at 5th gen dynoes and anyone with it installed. it obviously does something right
Old 03-19-2002, 03:33 PM

Dumb Maxima has a point...

However, that does not stop my engineering and inquisitive mind from wanting to understand.

And I'm spent!!
Old 03-19-2002, 04:16 PM

Re: Dumb Maxima has a point...

However, that does not stop my engineering and inquisitive mind from wanting to understand.

And I'm spent!!
the way i basically thought it worked is that something at 5k rpms triggers the butterlflies to open and to use a shorter intake path, that's all. very simple.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:25 PM

Re: Dumb Maxima has a point...

And I'm spent!!
"Dumb Maxima", lol steve
Old 03-19-2002, 04:31 PM

Well...

If you look at the VI it is very obvious that it does not work like that. There are still only 6 runners that form the manifold. The 5th Gen manifold actually adjusts the length according to rpm... this VI does not work like that. It was probably some engineer's idea of a joke, kinda like the Pontiac Aztec, but when applied it actually worked. Maybe I will just drill 6 holes in my manifold and cap them off. Then I will have the short and the long runners at the same time.

P.S. That last bit was sarcasm.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:08 PM

Re: Well...

If you look at the VI it is very obvious that it does not work like that. There are still only 6 runners that form the manifold. The 5th Gen manifold actually adjusts the length according to rpm... this VI does not work like that. It was probably some engineer's idea of a joke, kinda like the Pontiac Aztec, but when applied it actually worked. Maybe I will just drill 6 holes in my manifold and cap them off. Then I will have the short and the long runners at the same time.

Sure make fun of the Aztec but what other car looks like a CRX on steroids and comes with a tent that attaches to the trunk for camping.

SuDZ
Old 03-21-2002, 05:57 AM

Re: Well...

Jeez, it wasn't a joke. It was clever compromise engineering. They modified an existing part without having to make a whole new intake manifold. Does it work as well as the 5th gen VI? No. But it works better than what we have stock. And to compare this to a freakin Aztec, oh lord no. This is better than most anything Pontiac makes. Show me some clever engineering from the "excitement division"

DW

Old 03-21-2002, 10:03 AM

Looking back...

It appears that I did make a comparison between Pontiac and Nissan Engineering... I do apologize. Maybe an administrator should erase that post, it was a shameful oversight. As far as clever engineering... what about them renaming/reclading the Aztec as the Buick Rendevouz and somehow pulling record low sales out of the gutter. You have to love the oblivious american buying public.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:13 AM

Re: Looking back...

It's a shame about the domestic car market. GM,Ford and Chrysler can make good products, but too much of bottom line executives, union stranglehold on the production line etc gets in the way.

DW

It appears that I did make a comparison between Pontiac and Nissan Engineering... I do apologize. Maybe an administrator should erase that post, it was a shameful oversight. As far as clever engineering... what about them renaming/reclading the Aztec as the Buick Rendevouz and somehow pulling record low sales out of the gutter. You have to love the oblivious american buying public.