General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Another cheap and easy mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 10:59 AM

Another cheap and easy mod

OK, not the most original idea, but it seems to work. It's so simple, I don't know why I didn't see this before ... After I'd had my cone filter on, I wanted more cold air there without cutting for a CAI. After awhile I realized I already had an air duct path, putting back my OEM section of intake from the front of the car. This did make a difference. My air filter was cooler to the touch than other surrounding parts of my engine compartment. I noticed, however, that while the black ABS intake was cool up front, it heated up considerably as it passed the engine.

The solution cost just under $6. I went to Ace hardware and got a little box with 5' of flexible aluminum dryer vent duct (accordion stuff), 4" diameter. This is just big enough to slide over the rectangular end of the intake. With 5', I slid it all the way up the ABS to where the downtube to the resonator goes (mine is capped off). This covers the entire section where the vent passes the engine and absorbs heat. The other end extends beyond the ABS, all the way to the air filter, where it makes a bend to lay flush against the bottom of the filter element. I should now have cooler air coming all the way from the front of the car exactly to the intake point.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:32 AM

search for oscai you'll see something similar, maybe better, since i removed that box and have no idea what yer referrin to anymore.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:10 PM

Can you provide a pix sometime? Thx in advance!
Old 03-04-2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by OgreDave
search for oscai you'll see something similar, maybe better, since i removed that box and have no idea what yer referrin to anymore.
That is what I was originally going to do, but I was worried about 1)ground clearance, and 2)getting water up the hose and damaging either the hose, filter, engine etc. I also didn't want to remove a foglight, a standard way to create an intake space. Frankly, the filter has been very noticeably cooler with just the stock piece directing a flow of cooler air towards towards it, even from a distance of 8" (more or less), so I don't know how much improvement routing the hose from another spot would be, if it still runs past the hot engine. This is just so simple is why I like it.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:16 PM

Just makin sure you knew.

I couldnt do any of that stuff if I wanted to.. my car draws air from the fender right into the blower.