General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Weight threshold for front bucket

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 02:00 PM

Weight threshold for front bucket

I just got home - to a note from the girl friend who has left with work on a 10 day eastern township tour - get this she left a note that before she left today she gave her aunt a ride to the airport.

Her aunt is, no word of a lie, breaking 400lbs I just got back up from the driveway and sure enough the seat back is suffering from an extra 15 degree tilt, I get no life from the power controls, and it looks like the seat belt won't recoil!

I got into the bucket and it feels like I'm now sitting on a park bench. The Max now corners like over-cooled jello.

I've always tried to politely suggest in the back specifically in the middle when giving her a ride. The advice has gone unheaded.

Any idea's if this type of thing is covered under the warantee?
Old 03-06-2002, 02:07 PM

OMG
Old 03-06-2002, 02:17 PM

ouch, sorry to hear about your max man...but i don't know whether or not it will be covered by warranty, there's a good chance it won't be, but i was curious, does it state anywhere the weight limit for the seats? because if not, you could probably use that as an argument that you felt the seats were adequately designed for any weight capacity...i don't really know though
Old 03-06-2002, 02:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

ROTFLMAO!!
Old 03-06-2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
ROTFLMAO!!
I am gonna have to sencond that remark.

SuDZ
Old 03-06-2002, 03:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What is this, Comedy hour?

OMFG!!!!!!!

Joe,

Tell me where you live in Gat. so I can go see the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person!

Tell the dealer you saved a whale. j/k
Play dumb and go see what they have to say about it. There is enough dealers around to try it out (Carrefour, 417, Tony Graham, Walkley...)

P.S. check your PM!

Simon
Old 03-06-2002, 07:41 PM

Re: Weight threshold for front bucket

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JoeGatineau
[B]I just got home - to a note from the girl friend who has left with work on a 10 day eastern township tour - get this she left a note that before she left today she gave her aunt a ride to the airport.

The mistake you made was letting your girlfriend even have access to a set of keys. j/k

Seriously though, have you checked the heated seat function? It may have fried it's last slice of bacon too.

Is you girlfriend in a band or something? Out on tour in the eastern townships? wth?
Old 03-06-2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by JoeGatineau

Nissan offered the "Big Fat Lady" coverage for 4th gens only, sorry Joe looks like you're on your own.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:54 AM

Now I am really ****ed. Just got back from Walkley Nissan and they will not, I repeat will not, cover the seat under normal wear and tear.

The garage manager pulls my file up and says to me...it says here you've voided the warrantee. Completely, and I quote '...tampered with the factory approved settings. This results in the elimination of the remainder of the maufacturer's obligation...'

My response was simple. "Look you sold my girl friend a vehicle whose ****-end looks like a chrysler neon. This of itself forces people to make some adjustments. Please explain to me how a couple of fuel system tweaks could possibly affect the coverage of the front bucket seat???..."

No answer but the I'm dealing with Tonya Harding stare.

This went back and forth several times. At one point I asked him "...were these seats just tested for the 'wee' people? What does the sumo class in Japan use? They certainly can't be driving Max's and don't tell me Nissan won't sell cars to the Japanese SUMO class."

Then he gave me "this is clearly a YP and not a MP - you sir are the one who chose to tampered with Nissan's required factory settings. you sir voided your own warantee!"

I think I am pouched for the seat.

Suggestions appreciated
Old 03-07-2002, 07:43 AM

If you never modified the seat, then it should still be covered under warranty. They legally can't blame your performance mods for your seat.

Now I am really ****ed. Just got back from Walkley Nissan and they will not, I repeat will not, cover the seat under normal wear and tear.

The garage manager pulls my file up and says to me...it says here you've voided the warrantee. Completely, and I quote '...tampered with the factory approved settings. This results in the elimination of the remainder of the maufacturer's obligation...'

My response was simple. "Look you sold my girl friend a vehicle whose ****-end looks like a chrysler neon. This of itself forces people to make some adjustments. Please explain to me how a couple of fuel system tweaks could possibly affect the coverage of the front bucket seat???..."

No answer but the I'm dealing with Tonya Harding stare.

This went back and forth several times. At one point I asked him "...were these seats just tested for the 'wee' people? What does the sumo class in Japan use? They certainly can't be driving Max's and don't tell me Nissan won't sell cars to the Japanese SUMO class."

Then he gave me "this is clearly a YP and not a MP - you sir are the one who chose to tampered with Nissan's required factory settings. you sir voided your own warantee!"

I think I am pouched for the seat.

Suggestions appreciated
Old 03-07-2002, 09:36 AM

I used to know a guy who'd been a down lineman in the NFL. He weighed around 350 lbs. and drove an old VW bug! The seat was mashed flat to the floor and the car had a permanent list to port side. Pretty funny to see him fit into that thing ...
Old 03-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

400 lbs???? That's just grotesque!

Read up on mods and the warranty. ALL dealerships try and say that you've voided the warranty and hope you buy it. Adding clear corners doesn't void the warranty if the transmission blows up.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:23 PM

I just got home - to a note from the girl friend who has left with work on a 10 day eastern township tour - get this she left a note that before she left today she gave her aunt a ride to the airport.

Her aunt is, no word of a lie, breaking 400lbs I just got back up from the driveway and sure enough the seat back is suffering from an extra 15 degree tilt, I get no life from the power controls, and it looks like the seat belt won't recoil!

I got into the bucket and it feels like I'm now sitting on a park bench. The Max now corners like over-cooled jello.

I've always tried to politely suggest in the back specifically in the middle when giving her a ride. The advice has gone unheaded.

Vive la Québec! Céline invites you home, but do you want to go home to that?!

OMFG that was a funny story, are you serious?

At that weight I'd be worried about the suspension for sure, you need some overload springs, and I don't know if that's made for the Maxima. You are placing nearly double the optimal weight in a seating position. I was bummed about putting 4 rims in the back seat of my car with fakey leather, but I shoulda used my head, it's only 58 lbs per seat as each rim/tire is 29 lbs.

Seriously, if the car doesn't drive properly anymore I'd say yes, it's covered under warranty. I really didn't think too many people were overweight up there, because everytime I go up I meet some cute hotties!!