General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Will lowering WOT fuel pressure (N/A) give some gains?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Will lowering WOT fuel pressure (N/A) give some gains?

For those who know about my problem with my recently installed SARD FPR, there was nothing wrong with the FPR nor its installation. I have a Walbro pump and tried to get fuel pressure back down to normal specs (idle 34psi, WOT 43psi) with the SARD. I was able to get idle back down to the normal 34psi, however I was still getting around 50psi at WOT.

Anyway, per sx7r's suggestion (thanks Thomas), I simply lowered my idle pressure down to 30psi and guess what? WOT is now back down to 43psi. (Thomas has an AEM FPR & is running 30psi at idle, too).

So, would lowering WOT (open loop) fuel pressure a couple more psi give me some gains (I'd have to lower idle pressure even further, though)? I'm hoping it'll lean out my A/F a bit. I recently dynoed N/A and the car runs a tiny bit rich at WOT (around 12.5). Opinions?
Old 03-13-2002, 11:16 PM

Re: Will lowering WOT fuel pressure (N/A) give some gains?

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
For those who know about my problem with my recently installed SARD FPR, there was nothing wrong with the FPR nor its installation. I have a Walbro pump and tried to get fuel pressure back down to normal specs (idle 34psi, WOT 43psi) with the SARD. I was able to get idle back down to the normal 34psi, however I was still getting around 50psi at WOT.

Anyway, per sx7r's suggestion (thanks Thomas), I simply lowered my idle pressure down to 30psi and guess what? WOT is now back down to 43psi. (Thomas has an AEM FPR & is running 30psi at idle, too).

So, would lowering WOT (open loop) fuel pressure a couple more psi give me some gains (I'd have to lower idle pressure even further, though)? I'm hoping it'll lean out my A/F a bit. I recently dynoed N/A and the car runs a tiny bit rich at WOT (around 12.5). Opinions?
I thought about that too....but I don't think it will work....I assume the computer will take over and making the injectors open longer to get it within specs....
Old 03-14-2002, 12:50 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Actually it probably will work... at WOT the computer is in open loop and using the preprogrammed fuel/ignition maps and not readjusting like it would under closed loop. You may see some hp gains because factory programming plays it safe (rich) but be careful not to lean out too much.