General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do slicks one the front have to be on the same size rim as the rears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 11:18 PM

Do slicks one the front have to be on the same size rim as the rears?

im curious....if i got a hold of some racing slicks for my front wheels would they have to be on 17 in rims as well or could i use 15 in rims in the front with the slicks and keep the regular 17 in rims on in the back?
Old 03-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

15" rims probably won't fit over the larger 2k2 brakes but there's no reason that the front rims have to be the same size as the rears. It'll give a huge speedometer error but you're not going anywhere over a long distance, so not a problem.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:30 PM
RBa

Re: Do slicks one the front have to be on the same size rim as the rears?

Originally posted by Newman96SE
im curious....if i got a hold of some racing slicks for my front wheels would they have to be on 17 in rims as well or could i use 15 in rims in the front with the slicks and keep the regular 17 in rims on in the back?
My sister's BF decided to get some lowprofiles for just the front... He drives a 2000 jetta 1.8t...
Anyways.. He started having tranny problems one day so he took it in for service.. The dealer blamed is tires for causing the malfuction..
Kinda weird!!!..
Old 03-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Do slicks one the front have to be on the same size rim as the rears?

Originally posted by RBa

My sister's BF decided to get some lowprofiles for just the front... He drives a 2000 jetta 1.8t...
Anyways.. He started having tranny problems one day so he took it in for service.. The dealer blamed is tires for causing the malfuction..
Kinda weird!!!..
That's impossible, tell him to get a new dealer. I could see them saying something if it was AWD but last I checked you can't get AWD on a 1.8t.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:10 AM
RBa

Re: Re: Re: Do slicks one the front have to be on the same size rim as the rears?

Originally posted by Weasel
That's impossible, tell him to get a new dealer. I could see them saying something if it was AWD but last I checked you can't get AWD on a 1.8t.
It's front wheel drive and he changed only his front tires..

I agree with you that he should switch dealers which I told him and he did.. Went to 3 different ones and they told him the same crap... Told him some BS about how VW trannys are more sophisticated and cant tolerate the tires being off balance.. Funny b/c just like you, I thought it would affect only awd cars too...
Hey.. what are you gonna do??.. It's his car and his problem..
I still don't understand how tires can damaged a tranny...