General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Shing!!! click here to get knowledge :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 09:18 PM

From Philips forum:

<i>Hi, just a note for many of you thinking of retrofitting your current car to real HID headlights. Unless you are replacing your entire headlight lens systems with a original factory part, you should not expect the same level of performance found in the OEM systems.
The primary reason is the optics (e.g. the design of the headlight lens). OEM HID headlight lenses (both ellipsoid and regular reflector-based forms) are designed ** specifically for an HID lightsource**, therefore they shape and project the light out farther, an most notably wider. When you insert an HID bulb into a headlight designed for a halogen bulb lightsource, you will most likely overload the headlight with light output and the beam pattern will be less accurate (flooded, if you will) In many cases, you end up with a lot of light in front of you but no where near the amazing precision and horizantal spread found on OEM HID systems.

Also on a less important (and a more cosmetic note), many HID retrofitters find their headlights do not exhibit the distinctive blue/purple hue (when viewed from outside) compared to an OEM HID system. Again, this has to do with incompatibiiity of the headlight lens and its ability to cope the with increased lumen output of the HID bulb.</i>

One thing that's not mentioned, is that you can get around the problem if you have projection 9006, I have seen it on Supra and NSX, look just like OEM.
Old 11-21-2000, 07:12 AM
The missing moderator

Hey, yeah I know that it wasn't going to be the same as a housing designed for HID... but non the less, it has provided better lighting... and not that much stray light.

BTW, the Z uses 9006 projectors and I heard they end results are great. Can't wait to get a Z and try it.

-Shing

Originally posted by WoodEar
From Philips forum:

<i>Hi, just a note for many of you thinking of retrofitting your current car to real HID headlights. Unless you are replacing your entire headlight lens systems with a original factory part, you should not expect the same level of performance found in the OEM systems.
The primary reason is the optics (e.g. the design of the headlight lens). OEM HID headlight lenses (both ellipsoid and regular reflector-based forms) are designed ** specifically for an HID lightsource**, therefore they shape and project the light out farther, an most notably wider. When you insert an HID bulb into a headlight designed for a halogen bulb lightsource, you will most likely overload the headlight with light output and the beam pattern will be less accurate (flooded, if you will) In many cases, you end up with a lot of light in front of you but no where near the amazing precision and horizantal spread found on OEM HID systems.

Also on a less important (and a more cosmetic note), many HID retrofitters find their headlights do not exhibit the distinctive blue/purple hue (when viewed from outside) compared to an OEM HID system. Again, this has to do with incompatibiiity of the headlight lens and its ability to cope the with increased lumen output of the HID bulb.</i>

One thing that's not mentioned, is that you can get around the problem if you have projection 9006, I have seen it on Supra and NSX, look just like OEM.
Old 11-21-2000, 09:53 AM

Shing: Need a part >>

Know where I can get my hands on a cheap pre'97 Altima headlamp. Guess what? Before the change to the Altima's current body style, the headlamps were H4s. Funny huh? This might be better than the J30 headlamp project.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:25 AM
The missing moderator

Re: Shing: Need a part >>

Originally posted by Albertt
Know where I can get my hands on a cheap pre'97 Altima headlamp. Guess what? Before the change to the Altima's current body style, the headlamps were H4s. Funny huh? This might be better than the J30 headlamp project.
only place I can think of is http://www.carpart.com no s.

-Shing
Old 11-21-2000, 04:55 PM

Albertt, you can also try.....

<a href=http://www.ninfiniti.com/home.html>Nissan only wreckers</a>

<a href=http://www.copartfinder.com/>Car part finder</a>

Luck!

Old 11-21-2000, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Shingles
Hey, yeah I know that it wasn't going to be the same as a housing designed for HID... but non the less, it has provided better lighting... and not that much stray light.of
yeah of course. it's brighter no matter what. i just like the oem look