General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why is Nissan paint so crappy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 02:29 AM

My rear and front clips are completely messed up. On top of that, the hood chips with every little pebble! I知 thinking of getting the rear bumper and noise repainted, also with a flex agent to prevent cracking and have the rest of the car compounded to hide the small stuff?

Under careful inspection there are so many other chips and dings, I知 wondering if I should get the entire thing sprayed! However I知 sure that will cost a pretty penny for the Icelandic Perl just to have another idiot tap the doors!

Other cars do not chip like this. Whats up with the paper thin like crappy Nissan Paint. The nissan dealers play it off like its not a wide known problem!
Old 11-21-2000, 04:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My paint is still pretty much perfect, with 104K miles.
Old 11-21-2000, 11:40 AM
MaxRX7

Originally posted by TexMaximum

Other cars do not chip like this. Whats up with the paper thin like crappy Nissan Paint. The nissan dealers play it off like its not a wide known problem!
Well, you don't drive other cars, if you did you will prolly chip there paint too.

Old 11-21-2000, 12:47 PM

My paint also still looks good. Front bump did not look that great, but just got it repainted and looks great...
Old 11-21-2000, 02:35 PM

how much should it cost me to repaint a panel?

I need to get the right front panel next to the hood painted....it has ugly stuff on it...
a body shop was quoting me 200 buck.....
what do you guys think?
yeah...the max paint is kinda fragile...but then again...highway driving is always bad for your paint...oh well..
Old 11-21-2000, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by MaxRX7
Originally posted by TexMaximum

Well, you don't drive other cars, if you did you will prolly chip there paint too.
Yes I do drive others cars! I talked to other Maxima owners here, and they confirm that the Nissan paint is very thin.

You guys with good paint are lucky I guess.

Old 11-21-2000, 05:08 PM

I think Shing's hood paint is still pretty good!

Old 11-21-2000, 06:45 PM

yea my paint isn't very good either. there is chipping on the front bumper and oxidation on the front and sides of the hood.
Old 11-21-2000, 07:50 PM

i have a 97 se and my paint sucks. The car is black and the bumpers and hood have a ton of scratches and little chips.. sucks big time but i do not have money for a new paint job.. Maybe for mods lol not for the paint
Old 11-21-2000, 09:56 PM

The worst part is that the paint chips very easy. Unlike the 99 dodge I also drive very often, and when its not me, others at work. Even my chevy Camaro isn't like that, though thats not factory paint, so wouldn't count I guess.

I noticed at a local Nissan dealer they offer paint sealer as an option. I wonder why, himmm

Old 11-21-2000, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
i think the white paint holds up better than the black paint.
Old 11-22-2000, 09:34 AM

newer models

I think all paint has been reformulated in recent years for pollution reasons (of course, no one on this board voted for Gore, right?). The newer paint used by all manufacturers seems to chip more easily, but presumably uses less (or no) petroleum distillates in the formula.

I had a number of cheaper cars that never chipped, and was surprised when my '98 BMW seemed to develop new chip weekly. My Maxima does not seem any worse than the BMW.
Old 11-22-2000, 12:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by WoodEar
Originally posted by Micah95GLE
i think the white paint holds up better than the black paint.

I think that you might be correct about black paint in general. I knew someone that had a new black Galant that had to be repainted after very little time. The person at the dealership told her that all of the black and red Mitsubishis had "eggshell" paint (whatever that means) and that they were having to repaint many of them. So maybe all of the pigment in black paint weakens the bond of the paint molecules and causes it to chip easier than lighter, low pigment-content paints.
Old 11-22-2000, 01:18 PM

I GOT mine repainted

I got in a little fender bender over last summer. I went on a basketbal trip, and i came back, and my dad had the dent fixed, and he got the hood re-pianted. Made the biggest difference!!!!! honestly, u should relaly do it. I have a rosewood maxima, and the cost was about 200$ not bad, and they did an incredible job!!!
I had a TON of those litlte chips/dents/scractes....

i know exactly what u are talking about!
Old 11-22-2000, 03:37 PM

black is always worse, and very true where its hot like here in the southwest of Texas, as black attracts heat, then the paint starting fading and the clear coats peels.

Black is beautiful when its spotless, though is also a pain to clean.

Old 11-22-2000, 06:54 PM

Yup, black seems to have problems. Also with different colors they could use different types of paint and a different method, maybe it could make a difference. I've been driving my car 2 years and I've got two chips, one right up on the nose and one farther back on the hood. I'm satisfied with that, and the only scratches I have are on the doors from careless owners of other cars parked by me. So I feel pretty confident that the sterling mist paint on my 99 is pretty darn good, I had a lot more chips than this on my Integra in the 2 years I had it.