General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ground Control Coils and KYB AGX Installed (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Ground Control Coils and KYB AGX Installed (LONG)

First off, I gotta give much thanks to Nismo and his family. They were generous and very nice to allow me to let me installed the struts and springs in their garage for the weekend.

The first one we did was the driver side rear wheel. That was fairly easy and it was our test subject as to how low we wanted it to be. Nismo and I set it up for a 2 inch drop. Then we got started on the passenger side rear wheel. This one was a little bit harder, as we had forget which way to unloose the bolt. In the process of getting the bolt off the axle, we broke the socket and we had to go to kragen to get a new socket but the bolt was so worn out from us trying to take it off that the 17mm socket wouldn't fit so Nismo had to dremel it down to a 16 mm socket. That was pretty freaky but it worked.. .

Now with the rears done, we set our sight on the front ones, the front ones were fairly routine but it took awhile because we didn't read directions and the spring compressor that we rented from Pep Boys was crap. The spring compressor would not hold the spring in place and each time we had to rely on it to take the stock spring off the oem strut, it would send everything flying cuz of the released of the tension of the stock spring. But everything turned out great. The car is lowered 2 inches from and back and the agx is on the softest setting front and back. It rides firm but not harst but is probably due that I am still on the stock 15's.

Now to the questions to others who have the gc/agx installed.
Mine is making some metal clanging noises as it go across some harsh bumps. Is this normal?

Also Nismo and I had a hard time diagnosing some noise in the front as we turned the wheels. Is this normal? Right now I can't hear it that much but would like some feedback.

So the moral of this long story is to READ THE DIRECTIONS AND GET A WORKING SPRING COMPRESSOR!!!! This install took us about 12 hours due to these errors so I am so glad to get these on the max and is done for right now. Later, I will play around with the settings to fine tune the right settings for me.

Again Thanks to Nismo and his family.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

so are you 100% satsified with the looks and ride quality? or any regrets? cuz thats the setup im doing, and just want to be sure its goin to be what i think it is, i expect harsh, but not unbearable with the agx's,
Old 03-17-2002, 07:01 PM

Right now, I am about 85% satsified but that is due to the noises that I get when I go across some harst bumps but hopefully I can fix it and when that is gone, then YES, I will be 100% satsified. The ride is firm but not harst at all but what wheels are you riding on cuz I am still on stock and there is alot of rubber cushioning the road so you have to put that in your pro's or con's when you are purchasing this setup. Right now, it handles like it's on rails and my tires are nearly bald so imagine when I get a new setup. I can't wait to get some new tires and 18's, which hopefully will not be that harsh and stay the same.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:42 PM

Did you use the rubber isolators and wrap the first few coils with them? That may alleviate a little bit of noise.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=72678
Old 03-17-2002, 07:58 PM

Me and Nismo was thinking of doing that but the coils don't touch each other when we were pressing down the car but maybe the harsh bumps really tax the springs and they hit each other?
Old 03-17-2002, 08:01 PM

Oh yeah, we also didn't install the dust boots. The bottom thread sleeve of the gc would not fit over the dust boots and the instructions that came with the gc didn't show that we had to use the dust boots. Is this normal? Won't this affect the life of the agx?
Old 03-17-2002, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Iilac
Oh yeah, we also didn't install the dust boots. The bottom thread sleeve of the gc would not fit over the dust boots and the instructions that came with the gc didn't show that we had to use the dust boots. Is this normal? Won't this affect the life of the agx?
I would think it would be safer to use the dust boots. I can't tell you if it's normal with the GCs but I would definitely wrap the springs with the spiral wrap. Although they didn't look like they touched, under load and especially on bumps they will clank together.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:57 PM

ok heheh don't worry you are not the only one with these problems.

the noise from teh front is coming from the strut bering the plastic plate. put some grease on it and stick it to the top. i just got done telling nismo how to solve this problem.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=106013

next of the clunking sound is that from the back?????
it could be a number of things but for me it was a bad desighn on the first gen ground control's. i solved this problem buy calling ground control and getting the up graded top hat. ( the metal plate ontop of the springs.)
Old 03-17-2002, 11:08 PM

yea, I made this post about that creeking noise we had, http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=106013

do you still have that problem? I think that clanking noise from big bumps was because of the spring hitting the alluminum top hats so maybe we do need the wire wrap afterall. those dust boots would not fit with the ground controls but maybe if you find some that do, we can install them sometime.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:07 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

the metal clanging noises in the rear could be due to the old style top hat or maybe the center strut bolt is loose?
you dont NEED a spring compressor to take apart the spring/strut assembly. all you need is 1 tire on each side..hehe but i dont recommend this method unless you know what your doing. Saves alot of install time tho.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
the metal clanging noises in the rear could be due to the old style top hat or maybe the center strut bolt is loose?
you dont NEED a spring compressor to take apart the spring/strut assembly. all you need is 1 tire on each side..hehe but i dont recommend this method unless you know what your doing. Saves alot of install time tho.

heheh ever see a strut sliding across a parking lot???????
well when i was geting springs put in my 91 max. (RIP) the shop set up one tire and aimed the shock into the parking lot and let the impact wrench fly next thing i know "blling, crash and screeching of a strut sliding across the parking lot. i was like WTF was that F@#$@# jack @ss go runing after it. what a loser for the so cali people DON"T LET SPARK MOTORSPORT TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2002, 12:16 AM

Im not shure about old style/new style but the bolts were properly torqued. lol we basically unbolted the springs without compressing them and hope that none of us would get killed in the process.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:01 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

lol! that's a bomb azz method.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

I went to the shop last Friday to pick up the coilover sets for NJ people.. I couldn't believe how 'tiny' the springs are

Glad to see your coilovers in working order.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
I went to the shop last Friday to pick up the coilover sets for NJ people.. I couldn't believe how 'tiny' the springs are

Glad to see your coilovers in working order.
yea, it was kinda funny seeing how tiny the springs were and then you look over and see how HUGE that kyb box was!
Old 03-18-2002, 08:36 PM

Ok, Update to the metal noises going across harsh bumps. I put some spiral wrap on the upper and lower coils and it seems that the noise is gone. So whoever is doing this install, make sure to put some sort of wrap between the lower and upper 2 coils.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:59 PM

glad you guys were sucessful with the install.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Originally posted by jdmmax

heheh ever see a strut sliding across a parking lot???????
well when i was geting springs put in my 91 max. (RIP) the shop set up one tire and aimed the shock into the parking lot and let the impact wrench fly next thing i know "blling, crash and screeching of a strut sliding across the parking lot. i was like WTF was that F@#$@# jack @ss go runing after it. what a loser for the so cali people DON"T LET SPARK MOTORSPORT TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!!!!
we've hit the celing before shooting off a spring/strut assembly. Usually you juss throw one tire on each side and when the bolt comes loose it bangs on the tires pretty hard but doesnt shoot far.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:30 PM

Jdmmax: thank you for your help.

Turbo95max:
Old 03-19-2002, 02:02 PM

spring noise

Ok, Update to the metal noises going across harsh bumps. I put some spiral wrap on the upper and lower coils and it seems that the noise is gone. So whoever is doing this install, make sure to put some sort of wrap between the lower and upper 2 coils.

So where did you guys get the spiral wrap? Radio shack no longer carries this product. I have the same problem with my KYB/ OBX coilovers. Thanks
Old 03-19-2002, 02:50 PM

Jdmmax: thank you for your help.

Turbo95max:

no problem

oh you can also use ruber tubing to wrap your coils. just cut a slit in the rybber tube and put it over the coil.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:35 PM

[quote]

JustMaxin96
So where did you guys get the spiral wrap? Radio shack no longer carries this product. I have the same problem with my KYB/ OBX coilovers. Thanks [\quote]

I got the spiral wrap from Radio shack a few weeks ago so I dunno about that. You can check their website, I think they sell it thought that but if not, LMK and I can go and check if my local radio shack still has them.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iilac

JustMaxin96
So where did you guys get the spiral wrap? Radio shack no longer carries this product. I have the same problem with my KYB/ OBX coilovers. Thanks [\quote]

I got the spiral wrap from Radio shack a few weeks ago so I dunno about that. You can check their website, I think they sell it thought that but if not, LMK and I can go and check if my local radio shack still has them.
Yeah that would be great if you can go to radio shack and see if they have that the only thing they had when I was there was cable spiral wrap. Please let me know, Thanks a lot.