General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Please help me define something...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 07:16 AM
The missing moderator

the term smoked...

"I smoked .... car the other day...." etc.

What do you define as smoked?

I see a lot of people posting that... and then say by 2 car length 3 car length... 1 car length = .1 sec in the quarter mile. hardly smoked if you ask me. Getting smoke is my racing my buddy's 12 sec Z in my Maxima.... getting smoked is racing a viper in my Maxima... Smoking is if i raced a Ford Festiva with stock everything. Beating someone by 1 car length of two is hardly smoking anyone.

Just wondering... Please don't take offense to this post... it's not a personal attack on anyone. Just to me the definition seems to be different than most.

-Shing
Old 11-21-2000, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Shingles

I see a lot of people posting that... and then say by 2 car length 3 car length... 1 car length = .1 sec in the quarter mile. hardly smoked if you ask me. Getting smoke is my racing my buddy's 12 sec Z in my Maxima.... getting smoked is racing a viper in my Maxima... Smoking is if i raced a Ford Festiva with stock everything. Beating someone by 1 car length of two is hardly smoking anyone.
I agree. To me, anything beyond 3-5 carlengths is "smoked."

It doesn't seem like much, but 3 carlengths is an eternity. How about the term "spank?" Is that just a general term for "beat" or is it along the same lines as "smoke?"
Old 11-21-2000, 07:46 AM

When I'm driving the CRX and it's burning oil, I smoke people left and right. Man, I even smoked this C5 vette the other day, you should have seen the surprised look on his face!
Old 11-21-2000, 07:49 AM

I got smoked all the way to the dealer this morning

I put in the stock intake last night. 30 degree weather and took two hours cuz of time needed to keep hands warm and this one darn piece that I couldn't get to slide in all the way!

The tube where the MAF sensor is located gets bolted to the intake box then it slides into a rubber ring that leads to the engine. How do you get the MAF sensor tube all the way in! There is a rubber accordian looking tube behind that compresses everytime you try to puch the MAF tube in!
Anyway I got it in as far as I could secured that put the battery back and still got the check engine light.

So this morning I let the car warm up so I can drive it to the dealer. it starts up fine but as soon as I get to the door to go back in the house the cars stalls, one more time same thing. so I end up sitting in the cold a** car reving to my 2500 limit til the car warms up.

As I drive the 15 miles to the dealer I'm GETTING SMOKED by buses, utility vehicles, small fords, and vans, specially on the hills where I need revs over 2500
The only place I could catch up was on the curves

But I can say for sure: I GOT SMOKED THIS MORNING BY EVERYONE! hehe

And I get to the dealer and they have no service record from me since I do all my maintainance. and they tell me the quote is for $54 for an hour of work plus whatever parts needed if they find anything tampered with, but if not and its covered under warranty then it'll be fixed for free....fortunately I got to the dealer ok...smoked, but ok

[Edited by Gr8bone on 11-21-2000 at 09:52 AM]
Old 11-21-2000, 07:54 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by PrimerAl

I agree. To me, anything beyond 3-5 carlengths is "smoked."

It doesn't seem like much, but 3 carlengths is an eternity. How about the term "spank?" Is that just a general term for "beat" or is it along the same lines as "smoke?"
spank is like smoked but not as bad. to me.

While on this subject... I think in a street race, it's hard to call a race... it all depends on who's perspective and when the race is called off. here's an example....

stock 4th gen maxima(auto) vs stock Civic Si:
There is no doubt that the Maxima will take the Si off of the line... probably the first 100 yards. But after that, the Si would have caught up and probably passed the Maxima. Now... if you called the race in the first 50 yards, sure hte maxima "won". But after 50 yards, the Si would have won. So that's why I discont a lot of races on the street...especially on evenly matched cars.

-shing

Old 11-21-2000, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by deathwish

When I'm driving the CRX and it's burning oil, I smoke people left and right. Man, I even smoked this C5 vette the other day, you should have seen the surprised look on his face!

That is soo freakin Hillarious!! You got me in tears Deathwish!! My freakin side hurts me!! ROTFL!!

Tbag
Old 11-21-2000, 08:06 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by deathwish

How often do you drive the crx these days?

I just love it when it gets dark out.

-Shing
Old 11-21-2000, 08:18 AM

How often do you drive the crx these days?
The last time I drove it would have been...August...
Old 11-21-2000, 08:20 AM

smoke.....

say I am launching with another car...I am just barely of the line and the other car already like about 2 car or 1 car infront and pulling really fast and leaving me with my jaw dropped to the floor and my pride tossed to the trash
ahahahahha
I would say if the other car already like 3 car ahead of you than you are smoked....
if you are side by side...one car length or right behind it
nah...you did not smoked it....
I can play tag all day long with an accord...which is about right..well unless it has some heavy duty mods....
I think if the car is still running in the 14, I won't be smoked
Old 11-21-2000, 08:34 AM

Like when that Ford Lightning zoomed past me. n/m

Old 11-21-2000, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

smoked is when the opponent can smell my exhaust as i'm pulling away. spanked is when i've pulled so far away, he can't even smell my exhaust.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:55 AM

I prefer 'hosed' to 'smoked' or 'spanked'. As is "Man, even with all my mods, I still get <em>hosed</em> by cars that cost twice as much as mine."

Thankyou,
Jim
Old 11-21-2000, 10:58 AM
MaxRX7

sx7r's car is smokin'

Old 11-21-2000, 02:33 PM

I got smoked...

I got smoked the other day when some moron in a pickup threw his cigarette out the window and it bounced off my windshield.
Old 11-21-2000, 03:00 PM

Re: sx7r's car is smokin'

Originally posted by MaxRX7

hell yeah
Old 11-21-2000, 05:11 PM

Whenever I race someone..... I get smoked! Unless it's a 2K Jetta with 18" chromes, then I spank!